Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Book Club - All the News

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: DD Book Club - All the News Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay. I figured we might as well do the final Nocenti issue.

Daredevil Vol. 1 #291 All the News

Quote:
DD takes on Bullet one last time and reunites with Foggy; Matt returns to his old life once again.

Due 12/4

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This story is a nice self-contained story to wrap up Ann Nocenti's run (similar, in some ways, to how Frank Miller wrapped things up). It's good to see Ben Urich, it's good to see Bullet, it's good to see Bullet's son (ok, good might be an odd choice of word because it's always depressing to see him), and it's good to see Foggy. It makes for a nice, nostalgic mix.

Each little story seems like its own self-contained moment, but they sort of combine to create a sentiment about truth and media. We have Daredevil who the public was afraid of and has to clean up his image. We have Ben Urich, who (ironically) has a story about tobacco (that is ultimately censored due to ad sponsorship) and also has a story about a highway cutting through a neighborhood. That leads to Bullet (and his son watching the Iraq War) and Kingpin. Bullet comes across as such a sympathetic character as a dad trying to raise his son by himself, but he's also obviously a very violent man. Daredevil ultimately gets the map and the story is printed. But it's hardly the focus. The focus is on the media, how it affects public perception, and how advertisers manipulate that media.

Overall, I think the story is just a bit too thin to work. It has good moments, but it doesn't raise to the level of a great story. The ending with Matt and Foggy reunited is wonderful, though. It's barely a page, but it's one of my favorite Nelson and Murdock moments. That alone elevates this story. Four Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I like this more than you, Mike Murdock. I think the theme is a little more broad than "truth in media". I see it as more selling your ethics for money. Foggy's monologues have nothing to do the media, but they have everything to do with selling out his ethics.

This issue is more evidence of why Lee Weeks is one of the best ever Daredevil artists, and I think this is a good one for Ann Nocenti to go out on. I think all the characters have strong moments. The dynamic between Bullet and his son is very compelling. Lance has to be more adult than his father a lot of the time, and you can see why Bullet is at the end of his rope. I also like it when writers make J. Jonah Jameson a more three-dimensional character, like he is here. He has honourable journalistic instincts, and is not afraid to take on big business and corrupt politicians. He's just not immune to selling out his ethics from time to time. It reminds me of how well he was depicted in "Born Again".

If I have to quibble with anything, it's how easily the crowd was won over during the fight between Daredevil and Bullet. How could they tell if Daredevil was fighting for good?

Anyway, I liked the way Ann Nocenti wound up her very wild run. Some of these last few comics were among her strongest, this one included. I give it a four out of five.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: