Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Ultimate Daredevil?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you like to see an Ultimate Daredevil Ongoing?
Yes
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
No
47%
 47%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 19

TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Ultimate Daredevil? Reply with quote

All right, so I know how Ultimate Central fans feel. I know how a few of you feel but I like to see numbers so with Joe Q's recent statement about no Daredevil, Ghostrider in the Ultimate Universe, I want to see your reactions. How do the Daredevil fans feel? You can just vote here and post your opinions in the discussion threads already open.

www.UltimateCentral.com
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'd like to see an on-going. Do I think it's necessary? Not really. It's like having two Iron Man titles right now. Nice but I wasn't itching for two.
Goddess0Whim
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, it might be interesting as an expirament. but that's just the socio-anthro side of me speaking.
i don't think DD should have an on-going UU series.
he's popped up, yes, he's had supporting roles yes.
but if they were to really Ultimize DD i can only see them rehashing the extreme events of the character's life at this point...
because all the VERY 1st Stan Lee stuff told from his side, i don't know how that could work w/o being almost exactly the same, or having computers?
seriously though, the regular DD title has carried out some very extreme highs and lows and left them at that point (if she's dead she's dead, or if she's dead she doesn't want anything to do w/ you anymore, if they know, they know, PERIOD) where other titles would titles would have created major sagas out of them.
you can't play out a Karen leaving period anymore than it was,
or somone dying period, or a house gone, period, or such and such period.
things happen the end is the story of the story.
so how would you who voted yes, and have seen all these very complicated stories (along w/ the rest of us) play out in the UU,
like to see the DD stories you've already read play out there.
it wouldn't work w/o total breakdown of some sorts.
the character has a habit of finding the middle ground after things happen.
Lonewolf
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know how I feel, so yes. There are still characters in the Daredevil universe that I havent even seen in an issue *Mr. Fear for example* so id love to get a chance to see some Daredevil stories that I probably will never see unless they make an Ultimate DD.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - for reasons listed in other thread.

In other news: What? Fans who gather at the "Ultimate Central" site want there to be more Ultimate titles? No. I can't and won't believe it.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:

In other news: What? Fans who gather at the "Ultimate Central" site want there to be more Ultimate titles? No. I can't and won't believe it.

Not the case.

There's only a handful of us who want Ultimate Daredevil, Ultimate Punisher titles. The rest our happy with their 4 core titles.

www.UltimateCentral.com
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheManWithoutFear wrote:
james castle wrote:

Not the case.

There's only a handful of us who want Ultimate Daredevil, Ultimate Punisher titles. The rest our happy with their 4 core titles.

Wait, wait...so even people who like the Ultimate titles don't want an "Ultimate DD"? I thought you said Marvel did the Ultimate thing just for the money. If that's the caes then I think the possibilty of an Ultimate DD is fairly slim.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

rgj
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the conceit of the name itself is what does it in.

"Ultimate Daredevil".

It basically means "the best Daredevil", when you think about it.

To that i say, "...WHAT, b*tch?"

Daredevil cannot possibly get any more badass than he already is. The DD we see every month is the "ultimate" Daredevil to me. To ultimize something is to admit continuity flaws. But since everybody's been basically trying to either copy Miller or at least take his blueprint and run from there, it essentially means this--and I'll capitalize it and give it a separate space:

DD'S ORIGIN AND SUBSEQUENT EARLY ADVENTURES HAVE BEEN STREAMLINED ENOUGH VIA REGULAR CONTINUITY (Miller's "first attempt at taking the machinery apart and streamlining it", i believe is how he puts it) AND THUS RENDER THE VERY IDEA OF AN ULTIMATE BOOK UNNECESSARY.

Don't think I'm shouting, just...i tend to ramble, so focus on the caps.
Dorian Gray
Tree of Knowledge

Location: I live in a silver mine, and I call it Beggar's Tomb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I don't read any other Ultimate titles, I am going to have to say no.

Besides, wasn't the point of the Ultimate line in the first place to reset the characters as teens in todays world? Thats what the did with Ultimate Spiderman and Ultimate X- Men. This just isn't needed for Darevil and would work for him either.
DarkElektraPhoenix
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to see Ultimate Typhoid Mary.
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonewolf wrote:
you know how I feel, so yes. There are still characters in the Daredevil universe that I havent even seen in an issue *Mr. Fear for example* so id love to get a chance to see some Daredevil stories that I probably will never see unless they make an Ultimate DD.

Well some characters like Mr. Fear have become so convoluted in regular MU it be hard to write for them (There have been four Mr. Fears and they never explained how Larry Cranston came back from the dead.)

If there there was an Ultimate DD title such characters could be reintroduced and revamped. For example here is how I would handle Ultimate Mr. Fear.

Larry Cranston was always pushed by his parents to be the top in school, but he was always outshined by Matt Murdock.

When Cranston found out that Murdock was blind, he was overjoyed believing his rival had been dealt with. However Murdock still bested Cranston in school, graduated with the highest grade point average in high school.

Both Murdock and Cranston went to Columbia University to study law. Murdock was still the better student and Cranston decided the only way to best Murdock was to cheat. Cranston decided to steal the exam answers, but Murdock through dumb luck and super senses discovered Cranston scheme and had him reported to the dean. Cranston was exspelled.

With parents disowning him, Cranston became a janitor, in the lab of a famous scientist from Eastern europe Dr. Zoltan Drago. One night Drago accidently created a chemical compund that created fear in anyone who exposed to it. Cranston murdered Drago and set the lab ablaze, making it look like an accident, to cover up the fact that he stole the fear serum.

Now he is ready to gain revenge on Murdock.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say no, from what I have read, the Ultimate DD & Elektra titles have been poor, I have still bought them though. I agree with the majority, DD has an established history and it doesn't need smoothing over with a new Ultimate line.

I also do not think it will happen as DD is not a big title like Spiderman or Xmen, it would not generate enough sales for them. Sorry everyone, DD is a niche comic, I think that Marvel want the Ultimate line to be for small series to tell a story Ult DD etc and the on-going series are for the what-ifs on the big Marvel stars.

I am not knocking DD in the slightest, one of my faves, but I see the UU as a way of doubling up your stories, as in "I'll buy Amazing Spiderman and also Ult. SM as well", DD does not have the mass market that SM & Xmen are in. I think that Ult FF will not be a long runner, but I have no idea on the sales numbers though so I could be talking a load of rubbish!

That said, I loooooove the Ultimates, Ultimate Nightmare, Ultimate six etc. Ult DD was just a let down. I would love to see an Ult Punisher, Frank killing everyone is always good reading for me.

Make the Ultimate Universe pay Frank.
zminusx
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I think the Ultimate DD/Elektra has been really so so (easy to read but extremely forgettable) I've enjoyed his little guest appearances in other Ultimate books.

So for me...I'm all for it...if care is put into it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zminusx wrote:
While I think the Ultimate DD/Elektra has been really so so (easy to read but extremely forgettable) I've enjoyed his little guest appearances in other Ultimate books.

So for me...I'm all for it...if care is put into it.

I like you

www.UltimateCentral.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: