ImageMap - Use text links ImageMap - Use text links
Fan Fiction

Paradise Lost

by Russell Paulette (inadvertant@hotmail.com)

Paradise Lost

Chapter 1 - Underground

His muscles strained and groaned in protest as he hung inbetween the rafters of New York's Subway system. The Spider had taught him this technique, much to the arachnid's chagrin.
He turned his cowled, red-covered face down and glanced at the destruction below him. All night New York's Finest Investigators and Pathologists scoured and surveyed the wreckage strewn about them, and it seemed, to the Devil, to be a futile effort. They were not going to find anything, and they were fooling themselves thinking they could sort for clues. Any explosion of this magnitude would be covered with enough wool to pass as sheep's clothing for the genuine terrorist.
Stepping about the cluttered platform of broken lives was District Attorney Kathy Malper, and her entourage of yes-men. She tightened the Red Sox baseball cap, and shrugged a package of cigarrettes and a lighter out of her jacket, echoing the same baseball orientation as the cap. Lighting the Marlboro, she inhaled deeply, and barked, "Fields! Get your worthless self this way!"
Fields, a man who was green in his face, but not from inexperience, loosened his tie, gulped, and said, "Yes, Ms. Malper." Matt's olfactory caught his acrid sweat staining the man's starched-cotton shirt, and the nervousness in his voice echoed in his ears.
"Find me the head investigator on this bad boy, I want to know who's responsible for all of this."
"Yes, ma'am." he mumbled, turning, and tripping over a stiff, dead form, kicking loose bits of tile and subway.
"We got another body!" a paramedic said, as the metallic sound of the hollow skeleton of a stretcher contorted on itself.
"District Attorney Malper?" a large, gruff man in a finely tailored suit grumbled.
"That's me."
"Lieutenant Joseph Marmalade. I'm in charge of this investigation." he said, offering a calloused, ink-stained hand.
"How many dead, how many injured?" she asked, her head turning towards the crisp husk of a subway train, broken and scattered about them.
"Hard to say. This subway train got caught in the explosion, ripping the ass-end of it off and left it a flaming hulk. We don't know where the explosion came from, but the lab boys thought a bomb was probably in that trash can there, right next to what used to be the landing."
Malper walked over and glanced at the damaged area around the trashcan and turned her head towards the ceiling. "Hey, Red! Why don't you come on down here and help us out?" she smiled with an air of reason. "Not that I'm minding the view of you in your jammies."
"About time." DareDevil called from above as he relaxed his leg and arm muscles and dropped fifteen feet onto the husk of a token booth.
"What's he doing here?" Marmalade barked. "This is a closed crime scene!"
"Well, Lieutenant Custard," the Devil said. "with all your men scouring about, can you tell me why there are about four nine-milimeter shells lying a little to the left of the trashcan that have not been collected for evidence?" Marmalade motioned for a detective to gather the shells, his face a red splotch of embarrassment which registered on Matt's radar.
"That's what he's doing here." Malper said, with a smirk.
"It's Marmalade." the Lieutenant said, simmering.
"Has the lab determined anything from the trashcan?" Matt asked his face a portrait of earnest concearn as he turned his attention towards Marmalade.
"I haven't heard anything as yet, although they said they'd probably have something by mid-day."
"Will you let me know when they have something, Kathy?" DareDevil turned to Malper.
"Sure. Just leave a message at Sharpe, Nelson & Murdock; that how things run these days?"
"Sure thing." the Devil said.
"Will do." And with that, DareDevil patted Marmalade on his head and left the scene so swiftly, none present were positive of his departure.
"Who the hell does he think he is?" bellowed Marmalade.
"The Devil." Malper turned away from DareDevil's exit and quickly added. "Tell me, Lieutenant...by lunch, should I have enough evidence to begin building a case against the sphincters who were responsible for this."
"You'll have something."
"I hope so." she said signaling to Fields that it was time to leave. "I really hope so."

* * *

The windowsill smelled of pine and rain as a light mist permeated throughout the better part of upper Manhattan. DareDevil stood on the fire escape outside of his apartment window and, slipping fingers underneath the window cracked for ventillation, crawled inside the apartment, slouching on the couch. He slipped his red cowl off and yelled, "I'm back." down the hallway, hoping Karen was awake.
"Yeah, John. Call me back later." he heard shortly before she emerged from the bedroom. "Hey, lover, how are you?"
"I'm okay. I've got to go to work today, but I'm beat."
She sat at the end of the couch and set his auburn- haired head in her lap. Running long, well defined fingers through the rough tundra of his head, she asked "So, how did it go last night."
"Fine. Tried to get some info on that subway bombing."
"Yeah. Nasty stuff."
"Yeah." he said, standing and slipping out of his tunic, he headed towards the bedroom. "Someone out there is responsible for it. I'm only afraid of who it might be. Or what might transpire because of it." He walked out, slipping into a black t-shirt, his boxer shorts proudly displaying little red pitchforks.
"I wouldn't worry too much about it." she said, leaning over the back of the couch and kissing him fully on the lips.
"You were mad at me yesterday; why the change?"
"I don't know." she said, smiling. "I'm still mad at you. Maybe seeing you without the horns or sunglasses softens my heart."
"Why?" he asked, returning to his place on the couch.
"This is the only time I can see your eyes. They always make me forgive you."
"Well, Gawsh..." he said, with faux-embarrassment.
"Maybe you can be a little late to the office." she said, extending her hand underneath his shirt. He leaned up to kiss her, and withdrew suddenly from the embrace, as his mind spewed the memory of her on the phone.
"I don't know, Karen. I'm not feeling right." He stood and walked into the kitchen, pulling out a bowl from an overhead cabinet with a groan of taught muscles. He made a milk run to the refrigerator and grabbed a box of Wheaties on the way back to the bowl.
"You sure you're okay?" she asked, sitting on a stool on the other side of the open faced counter, from which he was serving himself.
"You had breakfast?" he asked.
"Matt...What's wrong?" she asked, her fingers stroking his chipmunk cheeks as they cruched the hearty oat flakes between his abalone teeth.
"I don't know." he said, munching on the cereal. "Maybe I'm just feeling uneasy about...us..." He didn't want to say it. He didn't want to say what he was most afraid to.
"What do you mean, us?" she asked, withdrawing her hand as her face grew defensive.
"I get the feeling that you have been..." he paused, searching for the right words. "...reluctant...to share things with me."
"Like what?"
"Like this 'Paige Angel' stuff."
"You were pretty crafty in your discovery of that, Matt."
"It was more coincedence than craft."
"So you say. But, counselor, isn't a girlfriend allowed to keep secrets?" she asked, still with a defensiveness.
"Who were you talking to...when I came in?"
"What are you talking about?"
"I came in the apartment, and you were in the bedroom talking on the phone."
"Jesus, Matt! Do you have to know everything in my life?" She stood, her face red with anger.
"No, Karen, it's not like that." he pleaded as she stormed to the bedroom. "I'm worried about you. I mean, what you do and who you associate with-"
"I've been clean for HOW long now, Matt! I'm not going to go and try and get a fix just because you 'died' and came back all crazy. Hell, Matt, you know how I've been!
"I know Karen, it's just-"
"And FURTHERMORE, I can take care of myself, thank you very much. I'm a big girl, and I dealt with myself, by myself, while you were dead, and I can deal with myself while you are alive. What I can't deal with are people like yourself thinking that I'm back on a kick, just because-" she was hysterical now. "-just because I want to keep some things to myself BEFORE I let you know, okay?" the tears were streaming a line of hurt down her cheeks. "So don't tell me I can't take care of myself!"
"Karen, I just-" she cut him off by slamming the bedroom door shut and saying something he wouldn't repeat in front of his mother; especially considering his mother is a nun. "I'd stay home, but you need time to cool off...time away from me. I'm sorry."
"So, go to work, already!" she yelled.
"My suit's in there." he said, deadpan.
"Then prance around the city in red; I don't care!" she sobbed.
"That suit's in there, too." he calmly said.
The door swung open and as he said, in a calm protest, "Karen, listen-" a black three-piece, white collared shirt, and plain red tie were flung into his face, nearly pushing him to the ground, as he was narrowly saved by his hypersenses screaming a warning. As he walked away, he felt the air being pushed ahead of his Italian loafers and as he ducked, he felt the air above his head disrupted by the presence of flying socks, as well.
Neatly placing the suit on the couch, as the bedroom door slammed shut, he turned and sat on a stool by the counter and slopped the soggy cereal into his mouth with measured bites, brooding as he slurped the milk.

* * *

"So, Mr. Norombi," Foggy said, nervously shifting files as his client sat. "What can we at Sharpe, Nelson and Murdock do for you?"
"Nothing much, right now. I have a lawsuit I wish to file involving copyright infringement."
"Easy enough, Mr. Norombi. I've handled so many copyright cases, I could recite statutes in my sleep."
"Very well, Mr. Nelson."
"Please, call me Foggy." he said, with a nervous smile. As Norombi shifted in his seat, the mood of the two shifted as well.
"Now...Foggy...I was wondering if you could tell me the...status...of a piece of real estate?"
"In the city?"
"Yes. I'm going to need a skyscraper for my corporations' New York offices."
"What are you interested in?" Foggy said, picking up the phone, already reviewing the number of a real estate agent friend of his.
"Fisk Plaza." Norombi said with a frank coldness.
The blood drained from Foggy's face as he gulped deeply, and could feel a cold sweat begin on his forehead. "Fisk...um...Fisk...um, Plaza, that is?"
"Yes. It seems...adequate to my needs."
"Um...okay." Foggy dialed the number and tentitively questioned his friend. After a brief period of laughter followed by harrowing silence on Foggy's part, the agent began listing prices which Foggy jotted down and showed to Norombi after hanging up the phone.
"This will do; I'm sure you'll be able to make arrangements, just keep me updated."
"Yes...(gulp)...sir." Foggy said.
"And, since this is all I need, for now, I shall be on my way." Norombi stood and offered his hand.
Foggy shook it and gave a feeble bow, remembering the tradition from the embarrassment of the last meeting. Norombi bowed back and left Foggy standing, his entire body feeling numb and depleted.
Why did he feel uneasy about this? It was a simple buisness transaction; Fisk Plaza was certainly a viable piece of real estate with a romance that would attract most entrepeneurs. But, perhaps, the fact that Foggy had a bad history with Fisk Enterpises in general, left a bad taste in his mouth. A bad taste which Foggy was determined to wash out with his accostomed mid-morning coffee/candy break.
Encountering Matt on his way to the machines, Foggy gave a feeble wave and moved on. Strange, Matt thought, as he followed Foggy with his hypersenses, hearing the starched shirt soften in his partner's cold sweat. Matt could smell that strange coppery tang of fear in between layers of cheap colonge to which Foggy was partial. Matt stood in the passageway, his hands on his cane resting on the floor, his chin resting on his chest, as he sought outside himself with his hypersenses.
He heard Foggy return, and Matt quickly transferred himself back into reality from his reverie.
"You okay?" Matt asked as Foggy moved past, sipping his coffee, barely registering his presence.
"Yeah." Foggy quickly shot back, and entered his office, closing the door and locking it behind himself.
Matt scratched his head and flipped strands of hair from his face. He couldn't tell if Foggy was ignoring him due to the scorn his partner had shown him yesterday, or if it was something else entirely. Matt suspected the latter.

* * *

"You really don't have to baby me, Ben, I can do this fine...by myself." Doris Urich slipped into the bathroom and closed the door behind her. Several seconds later, Ben heard the shower turn on and knew she was going to be fine.
He sat down on the bed, slipped into a white undershirt and pulled on his suitpants. He reached into the nightstand and retrieved his cigarettes and began to light one in the bedroom.
"Ben!" he heard Doris call from the bathroom, not in emergency, but in attention grasping.
"Yes, dear." he said, walking up to the bathroom door, the cigarette still burning in his left hand.
"Smoke on the fire...fire escape...will you?"
"Yes, dear." he said, a chuckle escaping his lips. He pulled the bedroom window open and, propping it open with a book, for this was the window that wouldn't stay open, he slipped onto the fire escape and pulled on his cigarette.
He stared across the city and watched the steam drift up from the ground and streets around him. The October winds whipped at his skinny frame, but he paid them no mind. Doris...Doris was back. He wiped forming tears in his eyes, and laughed. There was nothing he could do about it now, but she was back. Just as good as she was before the attack. Her stuttering would wane, the doctors said, but, dammit, she was back.
In her absence, he poured himself into the paper, sometimes sleeping all night at his desk to avoid the empty bed and cold apartment. He didn't eat regularly while she was gone, and when he did eat, it wasn't much more than a sandwich from the deli next to the Bugle, and then it was back to work. He ground out some of the best stories of his career merely because he couldn't think about her; it hurt too much. He managed to finish the subway story, but by no means was it his best.
None of that mattered, though. Doris always knew he was the best writer at the Bugle; she wouldn't care that the story was forced and barely thrown together before the deadline. She would love the story merely because his name adorned the top of it, and that's what he missed the most: her unconditional love.
She came back into the room, drying her hair while tying her robe strings around her waist. He crawled in through the window after dispensing the cigarette butt and embraced her, kissing her tenderly on the lips.
"I've got to go to work." he said, a coy smile on his face.
"Really?" she asked, and kissed him again. At that point, the phone rang. "I'll get...get it." she said, triumphantly. "My...my first call since...since last night." She picked up the phone and stuttered out a greeting.
Ben smiled as he watched her intent on the conversation across the phone line. Suddenly her face grew long and her eyes widened. Tears welled as she nodded, her face a portrait of numb shock and fear. She hung up quickly and huddled herself in her towel.
"C-cold..." she mumbled. "So-so c-cold..." Before Ben could even move, she tumbled over the bed, ran into the bathroom and vomited in the toilet.
"Honey!" he yelled, vaulting the bed. "Doris!"
He ran into the bathroom and sushed her whimpering form. "What is it? Honey, who was that?"
In between her sobs and stuttering, she said it was Donald Witherspoon, a Wall Street friend of the two of the Urich's. Witherspoon was calling to tell Ben but had told Doris instead. Witherspoon's wife, Katherine, Doris blubbered, had been brutally killed. Katherine had been one of Doris' best friends; she had even visited Doris in the hospital on a weekly basis.
"It will be okay," Ben whispered as she cried the longest he heard her cry in a long time. "Kathy's in heaven now, honey. She isn't hurting anymore."
Ben held her in his arms until she fell asleep. Ben cried too.

* * *

Marmalade stood in the alley as the mid-day shadows bled across, adding a dark, spooky atmosphere to his surroundings. It was the first time he'd ever been on the take, and he didn't feel right about selling himself for this particular case. It was a subway bombing, for God's sake, just not right to cover it up.
Nonetheless, the large burly man standing before him handed him a suitcase which Marmalade propped up on a dumpster and opened, inspecting the lining of cash.
"So, Jacks," he said to the shadow man. "What is it I have to do?"
"Get nothing conclusive." Jacks was a man of few words. "Whatever happens, though, the only source of the explosion was from that trashcan, dig?"
"Yeah. I get paid all this dough just to say there was one bomb. Otherwise I ask no questions. Got it."
"Good. That Malper lady is going to think it was some random attack, got it?"
"Yeah."
As quickly Marmalade could look away from his King's Ransom, Jacks was gone, dissappated into the shadows.
Marmalade closed the briefcase and left the alley, walking across the street and down one block to the Precinct. Finding his weathered Cavalier parked in it's accostomed spot he unlocked the trunk and slipped the money inside. He nervously glanced around and slipped inside the building.

* * *

A flash of red cloth streaked past her window and she laughed. Kathy Malper had been working all day on this grusome subway bombing and, it seemed, had not laughed at all during the day. It was a relief to let the giggle escape her lips.
She stood from her desk and opened the window, allowing the red-garbed Boy Scout into her office.
"How's it going, Red?"
"Okay." He said, leaning against the windowsill and crossing his arms in front of his chest. "It's after five, Kathy...you're late with results."
"Marmalade's late getting them to me. Last time I talked with him, he said the lab hadn't sent anything back to him except those shells you spotted." Kathy reached on her desk and grabbed a pack of cigarrettes, lighting up as she talked.
"And...what did the lab say about those?"
"Those nine-millimeter shells matched the slugs we pulled from the body of a cop. He was found dead from bullet wounds; nobody was certain when it happened, though."
"Think it's related to the bombing?"
"Can't be too sure. It's an awfully convinient coincedence if it is unrelated."
"So...what now?" he asked, hands in the air.
"I've seen you in action, Red. You're good. You notice things that most cops and lab boys don't." she smiled and exhaled a plume of smoke through her nose. "So..."
"So," he said with a smile and a nod. "you want me to scour around the crime scene tonight; see what I come up with?"
"That's what I'm shooting for, yeah." Kathy said, stubbing the cigarrette in her ashtray.
"That works for me." The Devil said with a smile. "See ya around." He turned to the window and took a daring leap into the abyss of New York. She watched him, astounded by his acrobatics for her sake, until he turned invisible in the canyons.
Amazing.

* * *

Karen angrily stepped out of the shower and toweled herself off. Matt had left her; she couldn't blame him, though. Both of them were playing on frayed nerves. It would take a concious effort as well as a long talk to get back in touch with each other.
She slipped into her clothing for the night and turned on the hair dryer, letting the hot air spill into her wet, matted gold locks as they expanded, dry and pouffy.
While she was working on the crown of her head, she heard the phone ring. Unfortunately she hadn't heard the first three and by the time she was to the phone, the machine picked up.
"Hi," Matt's voice barked from the tape. "Me and Karen aren't here right now; or we just don't want to answer. Just let this thing beep and go through the procedure."
The machine gave a mechanical beep and Karen walked away, toweling her hair dry. After the beep, there was a dark, brooding silence which prompted her to look quizzicaly at the apparatus. A whisper, just barely audible before the machine cut the message off, resonated in her ears. "Beautiful."
Something about the voice, the meaning, the feeling behind the phrase hit her a hard blow in the chest. It didn't flow right. Who was that? She sat down and stared absent mindedly at the ceiling, wishing whoever it was away.

* * *

He hung up the phone and laughed a deep and throaty laugh at the weaknessess of his victims. He stood over the limp, broken form of his newest victim. In the past day and a half she left her door unlocked twice-once was all he needed. None of them were worth it, though. None of them were like his angel...like his beautiful, beautiful angel.

Chapter 2


Daredevil (and other related characters appearing) and the distinctive likenesses are Trademarks of Marvel Characters, Inc. and are used WITHOUT permission.
Copyright © 2002 Marvel Characters, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Visit Marvel.com.