Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

What are you picking up this week? 11-15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daredevil99x
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: What are you picking up this week? 11-15 Reply with quote

Nothing new for me. Maybe a trade.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD Father #6 - Yeah! Cool

52 #28

Astonishing X-Men #18 - This is going to rock!

Checkmate #8

Moon Knight #6
vtsoxfan7
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been quite a while since I've A) had time to post on the message board here and B) actually had more than one thing show up at the local shop on new comic day.

That being said, I'm picking up the following this week:
Cable/Deadpool #34 - always entertaining
Moon Knight #6 - looking forward to the conclusion of the first arc
Daredevil: Father #6 - I've enjoyed this up to this point, even if it's taken two years to complete. I still won't be convinced that we're going to see this until I've got it in my hands (this issue was solicited LAST October and release lists have been wrong before). Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to it, just not holding my breath!

I've been contemplating White Tiger #1, but I think I'm going to pass...that may be a 'wait and see how I feel when I'm at the shop' book.

http://tburnham7.blogspot.com/

'So I've got THAT going for me...which is nice' - Bill Murray, Caddyshack
Doug
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daredevil: Father #6

Moon Knight #6

And maybe White Tiger #1
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a big week for me:

Action Comics #845 - enjoyed the first Donner issue, and interested to see how this plays out.

Astonishing X-Men #18 - I've never been the biggest X-Men fan, but after reading the HC of Whedon and Cassaday's first year, I'm a convert to this book!

Civil War #5 - just eager to see what happens next. Not the best book Marvel's ever done, but interesting.

Daredevil Father #6 - I can't believe it's here. I can hardly remember anything about the previous 5 issue. I can't resist picking it up.

Moon Knight #6 - I've enjoyed this a lot more than I expected to so far.

New Avengers #25 - If previous issues are anything to go by, another single-character issue should mean another great bit of writing from Bendis. Iron Man will be the first time he's tackled a pro-reg character, and I'm eager to see how he handles it.

White Tiger #1 - Already read this:

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/116354417171076.htm
I'll stick with this book for now, but it didn't blow me away.

And I'll probably pick up last week's Wisdom #1, as I like Hairsine's art and I've heard good things...
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD: Target or Father Thingy whatever it is called these days #6
Civil Wha? #5 (critial issue that could make or break the series)
Absolute New Frontier! Oh yeah!!!!
Escapists #5
Checkmate #8
Supergirl #11 (for the daughter's long box, which she'll get in a couple of years)
New Avengers #25 (my last issue of this series? thinking so.)
I'll skim White Tiger at shop. Make a decision based on that.

C.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:

I actually think the last few character-focused issues have been some of the series' best. The next deals with Hawkeye and the Scarlet Witch, so it could go either way, but I'm more keen on the book now than I was a few months ago...
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:

I actually think the last few character-focused issues have been some of the series' best. The next deals with Hawkeye and the Scarlet Witch, so it could go either way, but I'm more keen on the book now than I was a few months ago...
I agree with Dave, the recent character stories have been some of the strongest Na stuff of recent, though i think that this title has been hampered by the late shipping. This should have been the premier title behind Civil War as all the main protagonists are in it, but it has felt just like "another" title with Civil War tie ins.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
I agree with Dave, the recent character stories have been some of the strongest Na stuff of recent, though i think that this title has been hampered by the late shipping. This should have been the premier title behind Civil War as all the main protagonists are in it, but it has felt just like "another" title with Civil War tie ins.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Amazing Spider-Man, Wolverine and FF have had much more bearing on Civil War than this book has. However, having said that, I'm glad NA has taken the approach that it has, as it's spotlighted some fairly interesting characters - and not necessarily the ones I would have chosen to follow through Civil War - and got some good stories from them.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:

Maybe this will not make any sense, but I'll try to explain my reasoning. The Civil War tie-in issues are probably the best issues from the entire run to date. Single character focus in a team book is what Bendis does quite well. Feels like a solo title with a guest team appearance. I love this structure and it suits Bendis' style perfectly. The problem I have with the title is that it hasn't lived up to the standard set in the first arc. I don't know why that is. The last 2 arcs prior to the Civil War tie-ins have really fallen off the mark for me. I just don't see Bendis excelling with the team book format, unless of course, it follows the Civil War tie-in structure with its heavy focus on a single character. The previews for these post tie-in issues fails to grab my attention enough to stay on. I'm sorry, but Scarlet Witch/House of M (one of Bendis' worst efforts ever) and Hawkeye (dead/alive/dead/alive etc...) doesn't make me excited at all. I want out while the book is great with these tie-ins. I'll check out the Ronin issues to see where that goes maybe, but I need more proper conclusions when an arc ends and better pacing from a team book. So, there you have it. I'm out while its hot!

C.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough! I have to admit, the book hasn't been as gerat as we might have expected from the opening arcs. I liked the Sentry 4-parter, but the "Collective" and "Ronin" arcs were real misfires. There's been just enough good storytelling to keep me interested (and I'm still waiting for some payoff from issue #1 - we never did find out who organised the Raft breakout!) but I agree that it's likely things are likely to tail off again when the book gets back to "team" stories.

Then again, Leinil Yu is taking over as penciller, and I'm not sure I'll be able to resist him...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: