Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD FANS -- A message from Brubaker
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Brubaker
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: DD FANS -- A message from Brubaker Reply with quote

NEW CRIMINAL BOOKS IN MAY!

Here's the solicitation info for the next issue of Criminal and the trade for issues 1 - 5. Go to this link to see the covers and the rest of the Marvel solicits:

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/May07/solicitiations.html

CRIMINAL VOLUME 1: COWARD
Acclaimed as one of the best new series of 2006, the first edition of Harvey Award Winning Best Writer Ed Brubaker and Scream Award Winning Best Artist Sean Phillips ground-breaking new series is finally here! Collecting the sold-out and hard-to-find first arc "Coward" promises to be one of the trade highlights of the year, and readers of these white-hot creators other projects, such as Daredevil, Captain America, and Marvel Zombies will not want to miss it!

Coward is the story of Leo, a man who can plan and execute almost any heist, but only if he can convinced the plan is safe enough. But sometimes the reward is worth the risk, and when a woman from Leo's past comes to him with a sure-fire score to nab a few million worth of diamonds from Police Evidence, all his rules and cautions go right out the window. But in the world Leo lives in, as he may soon learn, those rules may be the only thing keeping him alive.
128 PGS/Mature Content … $14.99

CRIMINAL #6
A New Storyline! A New Anti-Hero! And a Perfect Place for New Readers to Jump On!

That's right, if you've been missing out on Criminal up until now, this is your chance to see why the critics have hailed it as Brubaker and Phillips best work! Pick up the first trade collection, for the story of Leo, and then join us in issue #6 for a new beginning as we meet Tracy Lawless, the last surviving son of a once-famous family of crooks (who have been lurking in the background of Criminal since the first issue).

Twenty years ago, Tracy Lawless traded the crime-ridden streets of the city for a life in the military, and it's a decision he's rarely regretted. But now he's walking out of the deserts of Afghanistan and Iraq and back into the world he grew up in, to find out who killed his brother Rick, and why. But truth is one of the few things uglier than family history, and the only thing Tracy has in his favor as he unravels the twisted strands of the criminal life his brother led, is that no one knows who the hell he is. And what they don't know, just might kill them. Don't miss the hard-hitting debut of the next Criminal lead character, in "Lawless" Part 1!

And remember, every issue of Criminal is crammed cover to cover with content, including text pieces, back-up stories and noir articles by Brubaker and many other crime writers!
32 PGS/Mature Content/No Ads … $2.99

Please buy these, or special order them, or beg your retailer to carry them. If you have to, threaten to beat them with Warren Ellis' cane if they don't stock the book heavily enough.

If you're a fan of my work on Cap or DD or just about anything, Criminal is right up your alley, and if you haven't checked it out yet, this is the perfect time to start. And if you're already a fan of the book, thanks, and please tell your friends to buy it, too. I want this book in as many hands as I can get it into.
Twisted Evil
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a great writer and I love you.
But you shouldn't use a discussion board for advertising.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:

Crying or Very sad

I just love this time of year! I love all you guys!!!!!

Well, tomorrow, anyway.

And, here's something to snack on . . .
http://www.newenglandyankee.com/risque_valentine_heart_candy.jpg

rgj Razz
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:

I'm afraid I must echo this sentiment, Mr. Brubaker. This kind of meritricious self-promotion is one of the factors that contributed to Bendis' growing unpopularity. Don't succumb to it. DD readers hold you in high esteem at present -don't jeopardize this. Criminal is advertised in virtually every DD feature; there is no need to tout it here.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:

Personally, I don't mind at all if a DD writer puts up this sort of ad. How is it really different from me posting a comment suggesting a potentially overlooked book to DD fans? You could say that Brubaker stands to make money off us buying the book, which he does, but I don't think that is why he would post this thread. Come on, this guy currently writes Captain America, Daredevil and Uncanny X-Men. Before that, he was writing Batman, Catwoman, etc. If Criminal tanks (in sales), he can go on to writing characters I would kill to write. Evil or Very Mad

I suspect that when a big name writer takes on smaller projects, he/she has stories he/she desperately wants to tell for the sake of the story and characters alone. It's a labor of love, not cash. Some of the best comics out there are indie/pseudo-indie books from big names at DC & Marvel. For example, Powers was Bendis's best book. (...before it tanked in volume 2. Razz) Also, Astro City is not only Busiek's best work (and that's saying something!) but one of the most underrated comics out there.

Even if readers may love the book after they buy it, what reason does anyone really have to pick up Criminal? The creators. So, I see no problem with a creator saying ~"hey, I've got a new book out and it's a lot like this other one. You'll like it." If a creator doesn't do that, his/her indie stuff will never sell and then we all lose out.

Given all that, I don't mind at all. If he was pushing Uncanny X-Men on this board, that would be a shameless ad. Criminal is a different case.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have no problem with Bru pushing his original books. Plus, have you ever tried to figure out when trades are coming out? Marvel's site is a joke. I appreciate the heads up.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care if Bru pushes his stuff here either. But, it is kind of Off Topic, no?

rgj

Last edited by rgj on Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
I don't care if Bru pushes his stuff here either. But, it is kind of Off Topic, no?

rgj

Indeed.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Icon Reply with quote

It's my understanding that if a project comes out under Marvel's Icon imprint, it is a creator-owned project and also does not get any marketing push from Marvel. Therefore it is up to Ed Brubaker, Sean Phillips et al to promote the book any way they can. Therefore I can understand Brubaker stopping by here to promote the book. I don't mind, because self-promotion isn't the only thing he uses this message board for. He actually participates in discussions, unlike other creators who've promoted their work here before.
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, you girls are like bossy teenage babysitters. Who cares if he advertises Criminal here if he has that much passion for it. He is the writer of DD after all. But then again, this is your Internet. I get a kick out of reading petty bickering here.

Anyways...The only Bru book I don't get is your X-Men, but I don't think that book needs any help.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad *hugs rgj*

Quote:
And, here's something to snack on . . .
http://www.newenglandyankee.com/risque_valentine_heart_candy.jpg

What's that? Can't see it.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hylozoii wrote:
Haha, you girls are like bossy teenage babysitters.

Damnit, I just wrote one - I mean one - line.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys...this IS the off-topic section, right? So, what is the big deal here?

I would be somewhat skeptical if Nocenti came to hawk High Times, but this is another comic by the current writer of DD. I really don't understand your ire.

As JC said, thanks for the heads up on the release of the trade.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw in my two cents worth:

I can see some of the jobs-worth points that have been made about not using this as advertising, but its not as if he's trying to advertise something on Ebay or a load of DVD's from a garage sale. This is a creator, talking to his "audience" about his new work.

This guy makes a living off selling this stuff, so if I were in his shoes, I would look to plug it where-ever possible.

Besides, Criminal is amazing, Sean Phillips is amazing and you're mugs if your not getting Criminal anyway. The fact that your not getting this book and need to be told by the writer personally is in fact ......criminal Wink
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darediva wrote:
Guys...this IS the off-topic section, right? So, what is the big deal here?

Well, lookie lookie. In the comics section there's an identical topic and it says "moved" in the topic's title. Maybe the topic wasn't originally posted in the off topic section? Who knows?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: