Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Civil War Impact (Spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:

In this case it sounds like whoever is writing Manhunter (what with the single momness and the gayness) is trying to set a fairly progressive tone. Which, in comics, is a rare and good thing.

I haven't read Manhunter, so my response is based only on this thread. I don't mind having a gay character, but for the most part, it seems like a gimmic. It like the writer is saying "Read this book, it has a gay character isn't it edgy and progressive?"
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
james castle wrote:

In this case it sounds like whoever is writing Manhunter (what with the single momness and the gayness) is trying to set a fairly progressive tone. Which, in comics, is a rare and good thing.

I haven't read Manhunter, so my response is based only on this thread. I don't mind having a gay character, but for the most part, it seems like a gimmic. It like the writer is saying "Read this book, it has a gay character isn't it edgy and progressive?"

I don't mind having a black character, but for the most part, it seems like a gimmic. It like the writer is saying "Read this book, it has a black character isn't it edgy and progressive?"

Dangerous thinking.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Dangerous thinking.

Perhaps I wasn't very clear in the point that I was trying to make. Using a character from a particular demographic (in this case, homosexual) in order to increase buzz seems exploitative.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
james castle wrote:
Dangerous thinking.

Perhaps I wasn't very clear in the point that I was trying to make. Using a character from a particular demographic (in this case, homosexual) in order to increase buzz seems exploitative.

No, no, I know exactly what you're saying. I probably shouldn't have been so terse in my earlier post. Like, I know what you're saying and, yeah, there is that danger. But the problem is that as soon as people associate minorities (because that's ALWAYS the demographic we're talking about) with some sort of exploitive buzz thing then people won't use those sorts of characters. It has a weird chilling effect, you know what I mean?

As far as I'm concerned it's just better to have minority demographics represented, period. Maybe it's exploitive at first in some cases but that's actually better than nothing.

Why aren't you laughing?
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
As far as I'm concerned it's just better to have minority demographics represented, period. Maybe it's exploitive at first in some cases but that's actually better than nothing.

agreed
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:
Completely inane. The comic is a turd.

Despite what you say, I am convinced that you haven't read more than one Manhunter issue (if that) and you're just venting your intense homophobia. Bendis's DD had it's fair share of pointless sex (Night Nurse's massively exposed cleavage, Widow naked covered by a sheet, Milla in her underwear, etc.). In all these instances, I would not say that Bendis/Maleev selling sex was any worse than anything I have ever seen in Manhunter. Have you read Bendis's Alias?

That said, Manhunter is an outstanding book! I haven't talked with many people who read an arc and didn't love it. I highly recommend it for Daredevil fans.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read any Manhunter and so I didn't want to call anybody homophobic. I'm glad someone does and did.

Why aren't you laughing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: