Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Some thoughts on Bendis' DD run

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoSpaz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Some thoughts on Bendis' DD run Reply with quote

Hi all,
this is my first post in this board, after a couple of years lurking around...

I recently sat down and re-read Bendis’ complete Daredevil run, and got to thinking on how this run will be seen in a future perspective and why it was so controversial.
First, I have to say that I think that this run is a modern comic book classic, and perhaps the finest run on a Marvel title in recent decades – with this in mind, let me add that Brubaker’s run is a worthy successor\sequel and keeps the high caliber of quality on the DD monthly title.

Mostly, I think that Bendis (and Maleev) told two complete stories / arcs / “seasons”:
1. DD # 26-50 – Matt is caught in a whirlpool of lies and media attention as a result of his outing and slowly begins to reacts. In the end, he basically snaps and becomes the Kingpin, after defeating Fisk and announcing himself to the world (Hell’s Kitchen). In winning, Matt actually loses his “soul”, so to speak…
2. DD# 56-81 – One year later, the repercussions of Matt’s actions come back to haunt him and his friends, as in the end, he gives himself up, but helps spare his friends a similar fate. Also, Fisk is again defeated and actually goes to prison…

I think that many of the grievances readers and fans have with Bendis’ run, is the fact that it doesn’t have a closed “happy ending”. Sure, it is ironic in part, has a noir-quality, as well as being inevitable and poignant, but it is not the Happily Ever After ending we’ve been indoctrinated to demand. That in itself is cause for disdain for some readers, but I think that this “cliffhanger” ending is perfect for the 4+ years of stories Bendis told.
Like a good TV “season finale”, it (DD #81) bookends a central arc, while giving readers (“viewers”) cause to “tune in next season” – in this case, check out Brubaker’s first issue.

With that in mind, I think DD fans couldn’t have hoped for a better continuation than Brubaker’s. I read online that some fans claim that Brubaker’s ending nullifies Bendis’ run, and accuse Brubaker of resetting the DD saga. My response is – Brubaker could not have done anything else! Before sending matt off to new adventures, Brubaker needed to reset his status, as Bendis explored all the ramifications of Matt’s outing to its natural conclusion.

Comments?
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen observations, there. I am a huge fan of the Bendis run as well, and I think The Murdock Papers by Bendis and Maleev was easily one of the greatest story arcs in all of Daredevil's history.

I love Brubaker's stuff, but I'm still not sold on his run being better than Bendis. For one, I don't think that Michael Lark is quite the artist that Maleev is, and the last three issues or so of Brubaker's DD seem to have been a tad slipshod and boring. It seems like when Brubaker could be throwing in some more plot, he instead shows Daredevil swashbuckling on rooftops or questioning criminals as a substitute. The Ryker's story arc seemed like it was a fan favorite only because readers were wondering what psychopathic killer was going to enter the prison next.

In terms of plot, with the exception of Foggy's stabbing (which was also eventually reversed), it was like eating cotton candy: It was really sweet at first, until I took a minute and realized that it was a whole lot of nothing. To be fair, I could probably say the same for Bendis' 'Decalogue' storyline. And again, I like Brubaker's stuff alot, it's just that I don't think his run has quite attained the status that Bendis' has, at least in my mind.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO you make some very good points NeoSpaz. To begin with, I agree with your general reading of the Bendis/ Maleev run. It can only be read as a kind of continuim ( for you, two large parts, for me, one long 4+ years woth of 'arc'.)

The trouble with collecting trades as opposed to the monthly book is the tendancy to see them as some kind of self-contained entity. Read 'Born Again' and it'll blow your mind. But it leaves out the groundwork laid out in preceeding issues by the likes of O'Neill and Miller himself. Read the Nocenti trade and you start with a partilcular issue (254?) and end where (263?). That hardly scapes the barrell of her sprawling narritive and the changes in Matts life. In fact, it probably leaves you gangling mid air.

Ditto Bendis/Maleev. Granted, its not so much of a problem now that Marvel reproduce (almost) every arc as a trade, but the perception of self-contained entities remains. Read 'Underboss' Great. But you have to read 'Out' to get the resolution to a major protagonists fate.

No, in reality, Bendis made one long, long story.

I also agree about the 'happy endings' thing. Who needs 'em. I should think that, compared to say 'Rom, Spaceknight', the readership of Daredevil have a reputation for being appreciative of a slightly more mature, sophisticated, sombre, realistic portrayal of superheroics. Matt being a superhero, and the consequences of that on him and those around him, sometimes leads to an 'unhappier ending'. We can handle that realism more than other readerships, simply because in the pages of this comic book these themes have been portrayed in a more realistic way by an ever increasing talented bunch of creators over many, many years

In that sense, Bru and any other guy or gal who steps up has a lot to live up to. At present, he's doing fine, but its still early days. Both Bendis and Maleev, however, more than did the book justice.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, NeoSpaz.

Regarding Bendis's run, I completely agree with you that there are essentially two seasons to his run, divided after issue #50. Otherwise, I completely disagree with you. Razz

This topic comes up once in a while. In other threads, I've expressed all my reasons for thinking that Bendis's second season was fairly mediocre and a disgrace to the character and lore. So, the brief points from me are:

1) Bendis NEVER really got the character of Matt Murdock/DD (even in his stellar earlier arcs). In fact, the best Matt/DD characterization I can recall from Bendis came in DD: Ninja. Razz
(Issue #75 was a close second.)

2) The continuity errors were so terrible in Murdock Papers that I felt like he was trying to see how bad he could mess up and still get praise. (See previous threads about this arc.)

3) The copeout at the end of issue #58 (breakdown) left a bad taste in the rest of his tenure. Why play off one of DD's strongest proactive actions as a breakdown? Hardcore was a Bendis arc in which Matt/DD didn't come across as a relatively whiny wimp. So, Bendis took back Hardcore and denied readers the powerful hero we knew under better writers like Lee, Chichester, Kesel, Nocenti, etc. We then watched our hero act less like a bold hero (which Matt/DD is) and more like a helpless ship doomed out at sea [not because of the ending (Matt imprisoned) but how we got there]. (This point obviously loops back to my first point.)

4) Matt/DD generally felt like a guest star in his own book.

5) His work just got boring. Every issue started to fell more and more like an episode of the Sopranos, in which nothing happens. I felt like entire issues were created just for one cleaver moment. [E.g. the almost half year build up to the reveal at the end of issue #74 (Woo hoo, a character appearing in his own book! Razz), Widow trying to get with Matt, etc.] I remember George Lucas saying that ~"a special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing." Bendis's later years on DD were special effects without a real story (or continuity). Widow was selling sex. Golden Age was a let down. Decalogue bored me to death. Murdock Papers had so many errors it feels like a "What If?" story.

...ah, I got carried away. In any case, I loved Bendis's first season on DD. Five stars for that one. The second season? I can't stand 80% of it. Again, it's not the ending but the above points. I definitely think that any story can be told as long as it is written well. E.g. I have no problem with a writer putting Matt through all kinds of hell, provided the writing is quality. I didn't feel that Bendis's later DD was near "quality." That's my 2 cents.

Again, welcome to the board!
NeoSpaz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the warm welcome Very Happy

Regarding your points, Forrest - can't say I agree with the essence of what you said, but you do raise some interesting points. I'll be sure to check out previous threads on the board.

BTW, was Bendis "confronted" with some of your points (here or on his board) ?
I think getting his reaction and insights on some of the things you wrote would be nice (and quite illuminating)... Wink

cheers
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeoSpaz wrote:
BTW, was Bendis "confronted" with some of your points (here or on his board) ?
I think getting his reaction and insights on some of the things you wrote would be nice (and quite illuminating)... Wink

In a way. I've read Wizard interviews with him, Loeb and some others in which Loeb criticized and admired Bendis's ability to write issues in which no one puts on a costume, etc. ...I guess if he added teeth to that comment and mentioned that Bendis can write back to back issues in which the main character doesn't even show up, that would hit one of my points.

...At the same time, Nocenti would make Matt a guest star in his own book but I still love Nocenti's work because I felt like I was reading something worth spending the time reading... My dislike for Bendis's run is a combination of all my complaints put together, not just one or two. So, in that regard, I've never interviewed Bendis. Razz

Seriously, I'd check out jinxworld.com (his messageboard). He does FAQs all the time. You'll find some DD questions there. Also, I'd recommend listening to his podcast interviews (if you don't mind foul language) and his read interviews elsewhere. He always gives great interviews.
NeoSpaz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

van anyone point me towards some good articles \ essays or reviews of Bendis' run as a whole (I don't mean individual issue reviews)?

Thanks in advance!
NeoSpaz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

One more thing I want to add to the discussion:

While Bendis is often criticized for writing a Matt Murdock story rather than a Daredevil story, it should be taken into consideration and context of the general "feel" of Marvel Comics circa 2001-2004.

From reading many Mravel books for years, I think that it can't be denied or overlooked that Marvel tried to go the "maskless" way during those years - showcasing the characters' "cilvilian identities" rather than their costumed aliases. Examples for this treatment are Grant Morrison's New X-Men, Bruce Jones' Hulk and of course Brian Michael Bendis' Daredevil.

I don't mean to tackle the issues of said approaches success or viability (though I think among the results were some of the best Marvel stories in years - even the first issues of Jones' Hulk were good reads..). I just meant to stress the enviroment that Bendis "operated in"...

I think that combining one's personal opinion of Bendis' DD with the knowledge of the editorial\general direction of Marvel brings a new dimension to reviewing the work in question. For the Bendis detractor\critic, it can provide a backdrop (and reason/s) for what may considered questionable story choices. For the Bendis fan (like myself), it can provide a new level of understanding and enjoying the work...

comments?
pbblair
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting to compare the Bendis arc to its contemporaries. It was definitely a "maskless" phase in comics, which Bendis epitomized. I saw it as apologetic in tone, which I found mildly offensive. It was almost as if everyone suddenly felt like they had to prove they weren't just writing "superhero comics." At the end of the day, though, readers like superheros for a reason. If I wanted a story about regular life, well, I'd just spend more time at work.
MercifulAvatar
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbblair wrote:
At the end of the day, though, readers like superheros for a reason. If I wanted a story about regular life, well, I'd just spend more time at work.

I certainly agree with the spirit of what you're saying, but I have to say that as an (ahem) older reader of DD (since 1974) a break from kicking ass and taking names is sometimes very welcome.

This can certainly go too far; Nocenti comes instantly to mind.

But Bendis really got me in interested in Daredevil again so I hope the gods bless him (any gods he wants).
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pbblair wrote:
I saw it as apologetic in tone, which I found mildly offensive. It was almost as if everyone suddenly felt like they had to prove they weren't just writing "superhero comics."

Exactly! Through much of Bendis's run, I felt like Bendis was shooting for HBO scripts, instead of superhero comics. When I've watched nothing-really-happens kind of shows like Sopranos, Big Love, Weeds, etc., I can go with this style of storytelling because it's either on television and I just happen to watch it or I got the DVDs from Netflix. Likewise, if the drivel gets to be too much, I can do something else because television viewing is passive and with this low-event / high-gabber HBO/Bendis style is in play, I can just listen. (Everytime I've watched Big Love, it has been extremely passive and the darn thing is only on because my girlfriend loves that show... maybe that should concern me. Razz)

This is very different from how I get superhero comics, at most once per month and I have to make a special trip to the comic store to pay $3 per issue. I would NEVER pick up the Sopranos, etc. this way. Likewise, Bendis's DD just drove me up a wall because I felt like he didn't even appreciate the medium he was writing for. (Still, I picked up the issues because I'm a completest on DD. Razz) Also, I found it odd that in an indie book like Powers, Bendis almost flaunted the superhero in tights aspect but in DD he seemed ashamed of it.
NeoSpaz
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I respectfully disagree - I didn't feel that Bendis was ashamed or apologetic in the least bit.
What I do feel Bendis was shooting for was spotlighting the noir \ pulp-themed flawed human being and characteristics at the core of the superhero - Matt Murdock, in this case.
I think Bendis' DD run nicely complements his Alias run and vice versa - showing the Hardcore (pun intended) Marvel Universe.

It's Bendis' work in the mainsream MU where I think he started off a bit weaker, but I digress...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: