Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Whos Your Favorite DD VILLIAN?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Quote:
I don't really understand that notion. During Chichester's Jack Battlin, he was never delusion or suffering from an alternate personality. He was essentially undercover. Furthermore, he went underground to protect his loved ones from the onslaught of his identity being revealed. (Kinda familiar? ) This was very sound reasoning for going underground. Not the work of a mentally ill person.

Given that state, I don't think DeMatteis had a stump to stand on in making Matt severly mentally ill.

P.S. Sorry if my tone sounds overly harsh. I just have stronger opinions about this topic than anything else in entertainment (not just comics). (Can you guess who my favorite DD writer is? )

First of all, I don't think you sound harsh at all and I welcome your opinion, even/especially, if it doesn't match mine. Secondly, I have to admit it's been about 2 1/2 years since I read Daredevil from the beginning up to what was the end at that time, so I can't say that I remember all of the details in the stories (plus, being an "old" guy, the memory's not what it once was). I had given up comics back in 1973 and didn't come back until about 4 years ago. But I do remember, mostly, my reaction to the stories. I didn't much care for what came before the brief DeMatteis run (from around #306 on) and I welcomed the change and the conclusion to the Jack Batlin storyline. I realize he took the character somewhere where he hadn't been before (and that you, and James, think that where he took him was ridiculous) but for me it was a step in the right direction, in that it resolved the situation that I didn't like, and I found it interesting. Also, it allowed the artist to come up with some cool visuals. I liked seeing the differently costumed pesonalities clashing. I do find that as much as I tend to focus mostly on the writers, that the art has a major impact on my reaction to the stories. This is partially part of my reaction to Chichester, perhaps, as I absolutely loathed Scott McDaniel's art in Daredevil. From what I've seen on this board, I think I'm in the minority on this, but oh well.

James wrote:
Quote:
The fact of the matter is that Matt will always end up in Hells Kitchen practicing law at some point. At no point will Matt's Hell's Kitchen law days be over. If you accept that, as you should, then as far as I'm concerned the last thing you should want is Matt in Hell's Kitchen practicing law. A great deal of great DD stories have resulted from Matt's "normal" world being shook up. Born Again, Nocenti's run, Bru's early arcs and some of Bendis' stuff (although it was more "fish in poiso water" as opposed to "fish out of water") all concern Matt out of his element.

That said, the whole Batlin thing could have been cool. It would have been an opportunity to tell different kinds of DD stories. A look at Matt from a fresh perspective. Of course he would have been returned, as he always is, to his status quo eventually but we would have had some neat stories too.

I want to make sure that I understand what you mean. Are you saying that since most Daredevil stories will take place in Hell's Kitchen with Matt the lawyer, that you welcome the occasional departure that takes him out of the status quo?
If so, that's part of my reaction to the clashing personalities storyline. It shook things up and then returned things to the status quo.
If I'm not understanding your point, please let me know.

On a separate note, although I do tend to buy single issues currently, I tend to wait for the last issue of the arcs to come out before I sit down to read them. I like being able to pick up the next chapter immediately as I have no patience generally speaking and feel that I lose the momentum when I have to wait a month. The only exception to this 'policy' is that I just read DD #95. Great issue. Although, regardless of what he says, I feel that Brubaker did 'push the reset' with his resolution of Matt's outing and that he forced a couple things, but ultimately, as you touched on, I'm glad to see him back to Bru's version of the status quo and I'm enjoying immensely what he is doing with the title. It's hard to get everything perfect but for my money, he's coming darn close.
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. If I'm understanding the climate of the conversation and the topic thereof... people's favorite DD villain is J.M. DeMatteis. Hmm. Very interesting, indeed.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I opened up a can of worms by saying I liked Sir.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite villain is Bullseye (but he needs a writer who knows what he's doing with him, or the results are Daniel Way's miniseries).
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:

Quote:
I opened up a can of worms by saying I liked Sir.

There's no question. It is all your fault. Smile
spacehopper
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Agent Simpson (NUKE)........ big mistake bringing him back to life though
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the surgeon general or angar the screamer?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacehopper wrote:
I liked Agent Simpson (NUKE)........ big mistake bringing him back to life though

Comics have a rich history of villains being "unkilled." I think there was a way to "unkill" Nuke without it sucking. Too bad that didin't happen.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

train wrote:
what about the surgeon general or angar the screamer?

Dave Campbell wrote this entry, commenting on the issues featuring the surgeon general. I pretty much agree with him:

http://daveslongbox.blogspot.com/2005/05/daredevil-305-marvel-comics-1992.html
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Quote:
Dave Campbell wrote this entry, commenting on the issues featuring the surgeon general. I pretty much agree with him:

http://daveslongbox.blogspot.com/2005/05/daredevil-305-marvel-comics-1992.html

When I first started reading that review, I thought it was a bit over-stated. But the more I read, the more I realized that Dave Campbell was not being needlessly cruel. That he was dead on. I had forgotten just how terrible this 2 parter was. I think I know why I had forgotten. This was the moment. This was when Chichester lost me and when I lost the Chichester I once knew, never to return.

Except for maybe the crossover with Batman, which was decent. That was Chichester, wasn't it? And I think that came later, but you get my drift.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I couldn't understand (keep in mind that I just read the review, not the issues) was why the surgeon general bothers to patch her victmis again after having extracted a kidney.
Hell, if she's really selling organs on the black market, why not taking both kidneys, or even heart and lungs while she was at it.
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilan wrote:
When I first started reading that review, I thought it was a bit over-stated. But the more I read, the more I realized that Dave Campbell was not being needlessly cruel. That he was dead on. .

Right. The part where he states it was so bad it made his soul die a bit was the most apt description I've read anywhere of Chichesters DD run. It's hard to believe its the same guy who produced a great run of issues between #292-300, then lost the plot.

Just such a crap time to be a DD reader.
EightiesCartoon
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the right time to mention the Purple Man?
*crickets*
Okay, I'll just say I love Typhoid Mary.
Always reminded me of an ex.
(She was a psycho full of pheromones too)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: