Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

What are you picking up? 4/11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: What are you picking up? 4/11 Reply with quote

52 #49 - It's getting nutty! Twisted Evil

Green Arrow #73 - Hate to see this end in a couple months

Tales of the Unexpected #7 - Very Happy

Teen Titans #45

Uncanny X-Men #485

Wonder Woman #7 - Now that a writer is actually turning in scripts. Very Happy
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm picking up the following:

52 WEEK #49 $2.50 - As Forrest said, getting great, been well worth it, a real slow boil at times, but great. At the moment though I am not going to get Countdown.

GRIFTER MIDNIGHTER #2 (OF 6) $2.99 - Enjoyed #1, though if memory serves this had blanked out swearing, grow up, if this is a mature title then treat us properly, stupid f#ck!n @$$ho!£.

LOVELESS #17 (MR) $2.99 - Another slow boiler that is showing life, enjoy this, black pitch tone, noir isn't the word!

RUSH CITY #6 (OF 6) $2.99 - Generic advertising for Pontiac or whichever US car sorry "automobile" company this is for, shamefully I've enjoyed the character and story.
STORMWATCH PHD #6 $2.99

FELL #8 (RES) $1.99 - A must buy, as is the collected previous editions if anyone has never heard or read this. Amazing stuff, set a new standard for raising the bar, a must read.

NIGHTLY NEWS #5 (OF 6) $2.99 - Been enjoying this, though can be a tough read at times, my LCS guy thinks I'm sick in the head for reading this, but hey its a work of fiction.

NEW AVENGERS #29 CWI $2.99 - Bendis!'s NA has been amazing since that god-awful collective story line has been sorted, the CW issues were great and this fall out is exciting. Another must read title at the moment. On an aside, Bendis!'s Powers sucks badly at the moment, going away from what made it good, eg police procedural.

NEWUNIVERSAL #5 $2.99 - Best read for a while, amazing stuff, highly highly highly recommended for anyone who likes original works. Warren Ellis is the man. Still.

PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL #6 $2.99 - Not read previous issue, again CW stuff was good. Am enjoying after an appauling #1, I just hope that a PG-13 punisher is going to work, I think it compromises him badly and brings him across as cartoony violence when it shouldn't be.

THUNDERBOLTS #113 CWI $2.99 - Giving it a go, its OK. Will stay as long as Ellis.....may be.

TWO GUNS #1 (OF 4) $3.99 - Will have a look at this, might get it. I am a fan of Boom-Studios stuff so has a good chance.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought All Star Superman Volume 1. It's simply unbelievable. It's like Morrisson's New X-Men but with Superman. Quietly is the greates artist who ever lived. The whole thing is just shockingly good.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lack of familiarity with Morrison's work and delays prevented me from ever looking at All Star Superman. Now, I might have to.

...I do love hardcovers. Very Happy
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
I think a lack of familiarity with Morrison's work and delays prevented me from ever looking at All Star Superman. Now, I might have to.

And the hardcover is put together really nicely too. I don't know how to explain it but just the colours and little touches make the whole thing hang together really well.

Why aren't you laughing?
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Forrest wrote:

And the hardcover is put together really nicely too. I don't know how to explain it but just the colours and little touches make the whole thing hang together really well.

This should probably go in it's own thread, but since you guys are talking about Morrison, I thought you might be able to give me some guidance, especially James. I recently read the trades of Doom Patrol and I'd like to check out some more Morrison, especially his more "indie-like" stuff. I don't want to get into X-Men or Batman because I'm too much of a completist and it'll break my bank. I was thinking maybe Invisibles or Animal Man, something along those lines. Is there anything in particular that you would recommend?
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cheap thrills run to the comic shop right now and buy WE3. Self contained story about a dog, cat and rabbit trying to find their way home. It's like every other story about animals trying to make their way home except that the animals are bio-engineered super weapons. It's awesome. Just awesome.

As for the Invisibles, I literally can't recommend it enough. It's vaguely bank breaking (7 volumes (well, technically it's 3 volumes but there's 7 trades)) and it starts kinda slow (volume one is dense) but it's probably the best comic I've ever read. It sounds ridiculous and cheesy and, well, ridiculous again but reading the Invisibles actually changed my life. Not in a huge profound "oh my god" kind of way but in a subtle but lasting kind of way. Morrison says he wrote it to change the world and to change the way people think and it worked. Which sounds insane, I know, but it did. It's crazy and super, super awesome. So, yeah, read that.

I also can't recommend New X-Men enough. As for being a completist, New X-Men is 7 volumes as well. If I could go back and do it over again I'd get the new omnibus that came out. Either way, if you buy the trades or the omnibus you don't have to buy any X-Men before or since. It's self contained and really quite unlike any X-Men before or after. Having read earlier X-Men might add little things but New X-Men is New X-Men and it's not like anything else (although Joss has picked up some of the threads Morrison left so you might want to buy Astonishing X-Men too (but everyone should be reading Astonishing anyway)). And Astonishing sounds likes it's going to be self contained as well so your bank should be kinda safe.

Also buy All Star Superman. It's Superman but it's indie feeling as well. Somehow.

Why aren't you laughing?
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jamers. I appreciate it.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops. Sorry about the typo, James. Embarassed I'll use this as an excuse to post another question. Have you read Doom Patrol? If so, what did you think? Anybody out there have an opinion?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: