Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Bought / Thought - 4/18

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Bought / Thought - 4/18 Reply with quote

Avril Lavigne's Make 5 Wishes Vol. 1 - ...just kidding, I did not pick it up. I do have one thought, however: WHY?!?! Question

Real comics: Razz

World War III Parts 1 through 4 - SO GOOD! I had very high expectations for 52 #50 but not so much for these issues. Keith Champagne's JSA was just so-so and any Ostrander work I can remember reading was also so-so. Yet, these issues were outstanding! In my eyes this was an instant classic. I'll definitely buy a hardcover copy, if one if released. And the cherry on top was that I had no clue who the narrator was until I starting reading it. (Not a spoiler: Martian Manhunter narrates. He is one of my favorite DC characters who is consistently underrated by readers and writers. Not so in WWIII! Very Happy)

52 #50 - I read this first and I guess I should not have. No matter. It was fantastic! I LOVE the ending! Cool

Amazing Spider-man Skin Deep TPB - I should have been reading Straczynski's Spider-man! This was an outstanding story on every level, including the art by Deodato and Mark Brooks. It has almost every element of a perfect Spidey story. Very Happy
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Forrest. Not an Avril liker, huh? I thought her debut album was pretty good.

I wish I had the time and the cash to jump into the DC world, but alas, I live mainly in the MU. Enjoy.

Straczynski’s Spidey has been mostly very good. Although Charlie Weiderman was a poor man's Molten Man, he had a nice, psychotic edge to him and this story was a great lead-up to Peter joining the Avengers. I have enjoyed JMS' portrayal of Aunt May and will miss the old girl when he kills her (I think this will be her 3rd time). And Mike Deodato’s art can give the most mundane stories an atmospheric, noir quality. If you haven’t already, read Sins Past. I’d be curious to know what you think.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilan wrote:
Hey Forrest. Not an Avril liker, huh? I thought her debut album was pretty good.

tremendously off topic:

Yeah, but only the first one, and she definitely reached the bottom later, with that video where she's shown flirting with a guy that could well be her father.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilan wrote:
Also off topic......shamefully I've got her first two and I'm about to buy the third, the wife likes them is my excuse, but I do too secretly. It's abit like Girls Aloud, secretly I like them as they make good pop records, but wouldn't admit it! Anyway Avril Lavigne, are you telling me that you wouldn't if you had the chance..........?

Now on to comcis:

52 WEEK #50 $2.50 - Great issue, a big blast, has been building to this, I'm just worried that some of the loose ends will not be tied off.

DMZ #18 (MR) $2.99 - Not read yet, but finally enjoying this title.

WORLD WAR III PARTs 1/2/3/4 - Sorry Forrest, these were a huge dissappointment and an utter waste of money. This may expose my ignorance and lack of understanding of the DCU. But I've read very little DCU (Started Bats and 'Tec from OYL) apart from 52, and these meant nothing to me. The only bits that meant anything featured the characters from 52. A huge missed opportunity for me. Perhaps these issues are to start stories for other characters and books, JSA/JLA/Teen Titans whoever, but unless all the bits with Ralph, Adam Strange, Renee, et al are all neatly tied off then I'll be hugely dissappointed. At this point I'm not going to get count-down, but they have two weeks to win my vote or dollar (now 50p by the way - Woo Hoo!)

MOON KNIGHT #9 CW $2.99 - Getting slowly worse, the first 6 issues were totally amazing, black, dark and twisted, now because of the awesome first arc, its is noticably worse. I hope that it improves.

SQUADRON SUPREME HYPERION VS NIGHTHAWK #4 (OF 4) - Not read yet.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilan wrote:
I wish I had the time and the cash to jump into the DC world, but alas, I live mainly in the MU. Enjoy.

I'd recommend the New Frontier or Green Lantern: Rebirth as a DC intro, if you're ever feeling adventurous.

Neilan wrote:
If you haven’t already, read Sins Past. I’d be curious to know what you think.

Yep, I read that one when it first came out and I actually loved it. See, I am not a hardcore 616 Spidey fan but I know many who hated Sins Past. The same story with The Other; I loved it but most spidey fans I know hated it.

The Privateer wrote:
Anyway Avril Lavigne, are you telling me that you wouldn't if you had the chance..........?

I searched my soul and I'm going to have to go with "no" on this one. Razz

Now on to comcis:

The Privateer wrote:
WORLD WAR III PARTs 1/2/3/4 - Sorry Forrest, these were a huge dissappointment and an utter waste of money. This may expose my ignorance and lack of understanding of the DCU. But I've read very little DCU (Started Bats and 'Tec from OYL) apart from 52, and these meant nothing to me.

No, you made a very good point, WWIII was definitely aimed at hardcore DC fans. Many of the best scenes were dealing with issues of the OYL jump which have not been covered in 52.

Unfortunately, catering almost exclusively to hardcore DC fans has been a common theme with DC, lately. I am hoping that will change with Countdown, which is spearheaded by Dini. Very Happy
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:

Neilan wrote:
If you haven’t already, read Sins Past. I’d be curious to know what you think.

Yep, I read that one when it first came out and I actually loved it. See, I am not a hardcore 616 Spidey fan but I know many who hated Sins Past. The same story with The Other; I loved it but most spidey fans I know hated it.

I suppose that I am what you refer to as hardcore, but I loved it as well. I thought it was a great way to shake up Spidey's world even though nothing really changed. I know some people felt that Gwen was portrayed out of character in the flashbacks, but nowadays, it's hard to be true to a character who's been dead since the early 70's. Norman's characterization was certainly consistent, that %@#$. And the art was fantastic. On The Other hand, I wasn't real happy with The Other. It just so happens that as Peter's dying of some mysterious disease, he's killed by a villain who had been previously dead. And another, "Never Mind" ending, in that the disease doesn't really kill him, at least not in the usual sense. Plus he evolves, similar to what happened in Paul Jenkins' Spectacular S-M many issues earlier. And Pat Lee's art, yikes! One of the true tests of a Spidey artist, for me, is do they make Aunt May look like a man. If the answer is yes, and the artist is not Ross Andru, then that art is not for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: