Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Wake Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harryhausen
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Wake Up Reply with quote

Sorry if this is super-old news, but as an admitted (overzealous) newbie, I just read 'Wake Up.' I've never read any Bendis, at all, really, and am thinking of moving through the Bendis-Maleev run in TPB, as my budget will allow. I have also missed some key moments in the more distant past and intend to catch up with them, too [kudos, here, to the recommended reading section on this site].

Now, I thought 'Wake Up' was utterly astonishing - makes me wish every comic was like that. I can't get enough of the art - damn! Given that I loved this, can anyone suggest other DD arcs, TPBs that are similar in some way? Just a point in the right direction. Thanks.

Secondly (and sorry for the 2-pronged approach), To what degree do you think reading an arc (especially something like 'Wake Up') in TPB affects your enjoyment of it?

I, for one, can't imagine having to see ads in and around those pages - I hate ads enough as it is. Now, on the bad side, I think I like comics first and foremost because I like serial fiction - I am not disciplined enough to pace myself through a TPB and tend to read them straight through. (I know, I know . . .) Also, do you folks recall delays on 'Wake Up' or other recent arcs? I have been really thrown by other Marvel delays, and was just wondering.

Geez, sorry about the scattershot questions. Thanks.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you liked David Mack's art in Wake Up, you'll probably enjoy "Echo" which collects Daredevil #51-55, which he also wrote. He also wrote "Parts of a Hole" (#9-15).
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Mack's art too. The "Echo/Vision Quest" TPB is quite hard to track down apparently, so you might have more luck finding the original issues.

Bendis and Maleev's run is excellent - I envy you for not having read it yet! There's a lot of enjoyment to come. Some may disagree, but I feel that Bendis is one of the all-time great Daredevil writers, and Maleev's art is perfectly suited to the tone of the book.

As for reading issues in TPB, there are advantages and disadvantages. You don't have to wait for next issue, you know that you've got a complete story in your hands, and the format is more readable (no ads, sturdier binding etc.). However, I think that reading issues on a monthly basis, as I do with quite a few titles, tends to make you read them more closely (as you've got a month to devour them several times if you so choose); I'm often amazed by the insight that people on these boards show by paying close attention to the book, especially when it's being written by a solid writer like Bendis or Brubaker.
harryhausen
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you two, for the responses. I'll be checking out other David Mack work, for sure, and am excited about seeing the Bendis/Maleev action in TPB. Should be interesting, at least, given what I've heard about it. Reading the Frank Miller era right now. So much to catch up with.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to throw in my 2-cents:

I hated the Echo/Vision Quest arc. I would never recommend Echo/Vision Quest. However, I still love Mack's work (art and writing).

His "Parts of a Hole" story is still my favorite vol. 2 DD story.

If you like Mack, I would highly recommend Kabuki (there are numerous trades and they don't really need to be read in order). Kabuki is his best writing and bet art all in one.

...I need to get more Kabuki... Very Happy
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harryhausen wrote:
Thanks, you two, for the responses. I'll be checking out other David Mack work, for sure, and am excited about seeing the Bendis/Maleev action in TPB. Should be interesting, at least, given what I've heard about it. Reading the Frank Miller era right now. So much to catch up with.

Loads of great stuff to come then!

Yes, the Echo arc wasn't a great story (part of the problem was that it was originally slated as a stand-alone miniseries, which was then injected into the regular series - and there's very little Daredevil in it), but the art was still excellent.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
[
Yes, the Echo arc wasn't a great story (part of the problem was that it was originally slated as a stand-alone miniseries, which was then injected into the regular series - and there's very little Daredevil in it) [. . .]

That was 90% my problem with the arc. I really should go back and read it, knowing that DD will barely show up.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Dave Wallace wrote:
[
Yes, the Echo arc wasn't a great story (part of the problem was that it was originally slated as a stand-alone miniseries, which was then injected into the regular series - and there's very little Daredevil in it) [. . .]

That was 90% my problem with the arc. I really should go back and read it, knowing that DD will barely show up.

My recommendation is really based on the artwork alone. It sounded like harryhausen really enjoyed Mack's art. I love Kabuki, but harryhausen was asking for specifically Daredevil recommendations, so I naturally thought of the Echo arc. I actually think Mack's art in Echo/Vision Quest is superior to his work in Wake Up. It should have been it's own mini-series -- I agree. That's Quesada's editorial wisdom for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: