Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Super Late Thoughts on Devil Takes a Ride
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murdock Bell
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
Iron Man?

Funny though, this was Matt's train of thought when he WASN'T a lawyer. Go figure.

Officially he wasn't, but he was "ghost lawyering" during this period--from one perspective, he was just giving legal related advice; from another, he was flagrantly practicing law without a license, in a complete disregard for the law itself, even if it ultimately accomplished a lot of good.

That could lead to another related and interesting debate, actually.

Last edited by Murdock Bell on Wed May 09, 2007 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley wrote:

...I think it must be my sense of message board justice, where I try to fight through both sides--logic and taunts. This inherent conflict is what makes me such a likable character.

Message board justice? Why didn't you say it before?
I need a sidekick. The quest of smashing the evil that infests the message boards will never end.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murdock Bell wrote:
rgj wrote:
Iron Man?

Funny though, this was Matt's train of thought when he WASN'T a lawyer. Go figure.

Officially he wasn't, but he was "ghost lawyering" during this period--from one perspective, he was just giving legal related advice...from another, he was flagrantly practicing law without a license in a complete disregard for the law itself, even if it ultimately accomplished a lot of good.

Not only that.
There are also examples featuring DD ruminating about rules and laws, like that one you provided, set in times when he WAS practcing law as Matt Murdock.
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Francesco"]
Stanley wrote:

I need a sidekick.

Laughing Interesting idea...

Which type of sidekick do you think would be the most appropiate one for this? Young ward à la Robin, eager-for action kid à la Bucky, camp follower à la Rick Jones or suffering longtime friend à la Foggy?

"Para la cuesta arriba quiero mi burro, que la cuesta abajo yo me la subo"
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down-to-earth squire ala Sancho Panza.

(Young ward ala Robin could be ok, but only if he hired a taylor who is not color-blind)
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Francesco, I don't believe in sidekicks.

It's no secret what draws me out of hiding here, either. My behavior's been pretty consistent--I've never gotten on anyone for ~having~ a view, or debating its merits.

Case in point:

Murdock Bell wrote:
That's hypocrisy, and double-think. It comes from a noble place (mostly), sure, but his vigilante life is still an insult to the philosophies he's developed as a lawyer.

As Roulette shows, he developed these philosophies prior to becoming a lawyer. Also, I can't remember a specific instance, but I'll bet he says somewhere that the system isn't perfect, but it's the best we've got (maybe Child's Play? The Bullseye tumor bit?).

When you believe the system is fallible, and when you've devoted yourself to doing the most you can within its construct, and when you've found a better way (such as vigilantism) that falls in line with the same original line of thinking that caused you to choose the system (the best option at the time), you are not being a hypocrite. At least, (and I've always wanted to say this to absolve myself of EVERYTHING:) that's my opinion.

No, he's following his broader sense of right and wrong. I'll agree that's arrogant, but it's also the most spiritually fulfilling. And in that respect, that can't be hypocritical.

Luckily, we don't have to make a moral decision about whether he should keep burning the candle at both ends if he's putting the wrong people away.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley wrote:

Cm'on, the worst that could happen would be being blown up while trying to defuse a bomb in an drone-plane, haunting my conscience with guilt for years, and then reappear after decades with a biomechanical arm and a completely unusual moxie.

Quote:
Also, I can't remember a specific instance, but I'll bet he says somewhere that the system isn't perfect, but it's the best we've got (maybe Child's Play? The Bullseye tumor bit?).

The second one you said. He says so to the police lieutenant (who would later be blackmailed into framing Murdock), who blames him for having saved Bullseye from certain death.

Quote:
When you believe the system is fallible, and when you've devoted yourself to doing the most you can within its construct, and when you've found a better way (such as vigilantism) that falls in line with the same original line of thinking that caused you to choose the system (the best option at the time), you are not being a hypocrite.

Frank Castle would have no doubt. After all, who would you (DD, in this case) be to say that "you've found a better way", a way better than the system. And does this better way really fall in same line of thinking that made you choose the system?
The answer is not really clear, or immediate, as it seems. Daredevil has asked himself this question more than one time. Take Roulette for example. In it, he asks himself that question. Who am I, whenever I beat up scum like Bullseye?
And in the end, we see that not even he knows the answer.

Quote:
At least, (and I've always wanted to say this to absolve myself of EVERYTHING:) that's my opinion.

no problem with that.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilan wrote:
james castle wrote:
As for Neilan...okay, I'm sorry. I agree that under a certain twisting of language and meaning opinions can't be "wrong" (insofar as you actually have them...but does that make them right?). So, fine your opinion isn't wrong. It is, however, silly.

James, I appreciate the lighter tone (even with the sarcasm). All I'm trying to say is, feel free to rip my theories and expose any holes in my logic. But when insults are thrown at someone, they only stand in the way of appreciating the other person's argument.

I'll stop now.

Me too.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Down-to-earth squire ala Sancho Panza.

Not a bad choice, el buen Sancho is trusty company... And well supplied with common sense.

Francesco wrote:
(Young ward ala Robin could be ok, but only if he hired a taylor who is not color-blind)

Laughing Laughing Laughing

"Para la cuesta arriba quiero mi burro, que la cuesta abajo yo me la subo"
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Stanley wrote:

Cm'on, the worst that could happen would be being blown up while trying to defuse a bomb in an drone-plane, haunting my conscience with guilt for years, and then reappear after decades with a biomechanical arm and a completely unusual moxie.

None of that troubles me. It's that you think I'd take a backseat to you.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley wrote:

None of that troubles me. It's that you think I'd take a backseat to you.

You're misinterpreting. I just don't want to endanger you excessively.
Besides, when you've grown experienced, you could start be a hero on your own, and maybe you'll end up hooking up with the Huntress.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: