Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

What old DD stories would you like to see come out in TPB?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim B.
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: What old DD stories would you like to see come out in TPB? Reply with quote

I've thought a lot how limited they seem to be in what they put out in trade paperback for DD, we mostly get Frank Miller and vol. 2 DD shoved done our throat as the only good DD out there (Don't get me wrong I like this stuff) and how some other great more obscure under rated stuff gets forgotten. So what stuff would everyone else like to see put out on nice paper and reprinted in a nice looking book to put on your shelf?

Personally I would like to see Ann Nocenti's Upstate New York/Mephisto stories and her Blind Boxer stories which came out right afterwards out in trade paperback. Yes they are not well know but are very cool and under rated storylines. I'd also like to see JM DeMatteis's run in a trade of the stories of Matt with the split personality.

They we're going in the right direction by putting out the early Typhoid Mary stories and Denny O'Neil's DD in "Love Labor's Lost" but they just kind of stopped after that and it's a shame I think.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Jim B, good to see ya on the board again.

I agree with you about Ann's stuff (and, really, I'd love to see her stuff on Hardcover!). The Typhoid tp was great (although, it may be a strange ending for the DD novice). DD's pilgrimage to upstate New York and his eventual clash with Mephisto would be a fantastic collection. The Blind Boxer Saga would also be a fantastic collection.

I would also love to see a collection of Chichester's brilliant #292-#300 (ending with Last Rites) run. That quality stretch of writing hasn't been matched by many other DD writers.

rgj
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what I wouldn't mind NOT being reprinted is the Spidey-DD showdown with the Surgeon general... oh, Lord! (though, well, it was fun to read, in a way Rolling Eyes) .

Personally, I'm not an big enthusiast of the Noccenti era (I guess that it's mostly due to the fact that I never liked Typhoid Mary as a character -too much of an ersatz Elektra for me, without the knack of the original-), though I consider it pretty interesting and well accompanied in the art Department with some outstanding issues, and well worth a reprint of the whole run...

However, I agree that, among that not-so-known stories and runs of Daredevil should get a chance... There are hidden jewels among some stages of the regular series with a lesser reputation (undeserved or not)... Maybe the most adequate way would be printing them in the "Marvel essentials" collection (That is, ALL DD in chronologic order), as the publishers might not dare to take chances with a trade collecting stories who might not be attractive except for the longtime and devoted DD fans (I admit that reading some old stories requires a certain degree of masochism, or sense of humour Razz ).

I am thinking now on some of the first post-Miller stories, like the one in which Ben Urich wants to buy a new home: a beautiful focus on Ben and Doris' relationship... and ethics! (Yes, I like, well, LOVE nice one-stand issues focusing on DD's secondary cast, like this one, or the recent issues on Milla and Foggy)

Another one could be the stories (second post-Miller stage)where Matt fights the child-robots which the vindictive deceased mother of the also deceased Death-Stalker sets to avenge her son's death... Or the Ann Noccenti/Barry Windsor Smith story "American Dreamer"... just to name some non-story-arch good single issues that come now to my mind.

I suppose many have old stories like these in mind, and, yes, I think that they deserve a chance: some give quite interesting takes on Matt and his supporting cast that are quite good (and would be worth considering for present and future DD authors to know about them: I'm not a continuity freak, but there are interesting points in earlier DD continuity that have been somewhat forgotten, and could still give great stories)

"Para la cuesta arriba quiero mi burro, que la cuesta abajo yo me la subo"
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see Denny O'Neil's Micah Synn story collected in trade paperback, especially since it was a strong story that suffered from being published in non-consecutive issues.
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I would like to see Denny O'Neil's Micah Synn story collected in trade paperback

It was an interesting saga. Mazzuchelli started working in Daredevil there, and it's good to see him getting better and better with each issue (it's a great help when he gets the right inkers).

The storyline had its good points, like the relationship with Kingpin with both Micah and Daredevil (not what you would expect! but I don't want to spoil the plot much). There's also tension between partners at Nelson & Murdock, due mostly to Debbie Nelson being turned by O'Neill in some sort of Madame Bovary by writer O'Neil (poor, poor Foggy! Crying or Very sad )

"Para la cuesta arriba quiero mi burro, que la cuesta abajo yo me la subo"
Jim B.
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey RGJ! Smile

Good choice on the early Chichester stories (after 300? no.) but 292 to 300 we're good. You can't beat Lee Weeks's artwork either, the closest that we will come to seeing Mazzuchelli style artwork again. Actually I would throw in issue 304 with the story of DD running against the clock too as it was one his best and 380 too. Since they don't make the Fall of the Kingpin trade anymore (but I was lucky enough to find one on ebay) it would be great to see these reprinted again.

Now that I think of it Ann's early stories would be great to see in trade too (issues 236 to 253) I liked the storyline about Daredevil being seen by the public as too violent with Karen Page being upset about this. Also the stories when Matt and Karen first decide to do the free legal clinic. Those stories are definetly under rated.

The Micah Synn storyline would be great to see for the fact it has the best DD artist of all time Mazzuchelli! His art was good inked by others but it always shined the most when he inked his own stuff (starting around issue 214?) It was also an interesting and action packed story so it would be good to see again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: