Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Frank Miller Visionaries vs. Omnibus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Streets
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Frank Miller Visionaries vs. Omnibus Reply with quote

Hey guys. I have all of the Volume II hardcovers, and now I'm looking into getting some of the Volume I and silver age stuff to tide me over until Volume seven HC comes out.

I was wondering for the Frank Miller run should I get the three "visionaries" books, or should I get the Omnibus. The Omnibus is cheaper, but I heard it has bad binding. So I don't know what to get. Any suggestions?

Also, I was wondering if I should get the "Essentials" vs. the "Masterworks". Obviously it's nice to have the old issues in hardcover and in color, but... it is MUCH more expensive to collect the Masterworks. I really don't know if I'll like the silver age stuff like I do the new run (as it is almost a different character), but I'd love to read it just to see where my favorite hero came from.

I'm also definitely getting the Omnibus companion, because "Man Without Fear" is the mini-series that got me into DD (still have the back issues at home), and the other stuff included looks good.

Any suggestions on Omnibus vs. Visionaries and Masterworks vs. Essentials from people who have the collections would be appreciated.
vtsoxfan7
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got almost all of the books you are asking about so here's my two cents:

The DD Omnibus is VERY nice, as you know it collects the same issues as the Frank Miller Visionaries but there is also about an 8 page interview with Miller/Janson that was not printed in the Visionaries volumes. I picked the Visionaries books up a couple years ago off of the internet before there was talk of a DD Omnibus. I managed to get all three at a pretty good price and they are serial numbered to 2500 copies of each. The Visionaries are a much easier read. The Omnibus is very unwieldy as it's about 2 1/2-3 inches thick. I really like them all and am glad I've got them in my collection (even though they double up the Miller issues). The Visionaries may be the way to go if you can find them for a decent price just because they're easier to handle.

As for the Essentials vs the Masterworks, I'm starting to lean towards the Essentials. I started picking these up before I got into hardcovers and they were great. You twice as many issues per volume with the Essentials as you do in the Masterworks at just about half the cost. They have released 4 Masterworks volumes that cover issues #1-41 and they just solicited Essentials Vol. 4 (not sure exactly what issues will be included) but Vol. 1-3 covered issues #1-74 plus a couple of other DD related stories from other titles. The Masterworks are very nice, but there aren't any extras like in some of the newer Vol. 2 HC's. The difference here is really a personal opinion on quantity over quality.

Hope that helps some! I've been bitten by the hardcover bug myself and that makes things expensive.

And oh by the way, welcome to the boards!

http://tburnham7.blogspot.com/

'So I've got THAT going for me...which is nice' - Bill Murray, Caddyshack
Streets
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I think I'm definitely going to get the Essentials over the Masterworks.

Still on the fence for the Omnibus versus the Visionaries. I think I want the Visionaries since they are the easier read, and I do actually read these things (multiple times actually). However, I can get the Omnibus on Amazon for $63... that's pretty cheap. If anyone can point me in the direction of some cheap Visionaries, I'd go that route. You said you got yours for cheap soxfan. Do you remember where? (Essentially, around 21 a volume is what I'm looking to spend).
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Streets. There's a link on this page to Visioncomix, they've got Vols. 2 & 3 for $15@. They are easy to deal with. Essentials are definitely the cost effective way to go. Welcome.
vtsoxfan7
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first two Visionaries I happened upon randomly one day on ebay (picked them up as a buy it now for $50 plus shipping). The third I ended up having to buy separately and I went to www.talesofwonder.com for that because I had always had good luck with their service. That one was closer to $30 I think. Now that they are that much older and potentially more difficult to find the Omnibus may be the cheaper way to go...especially from somewhere online - many places seem to have pretty decent discounts on them. Of course if you decide to go the TPB route on the Visionaries you can find them for cheaper.

Streets
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilan wrote:
Hey Streets. There's a link on this page to Visioncomix, they've got Vols. 2 & 3 for $15@. They are easy to deal with. Essentials are definitely the cost effective way to go. Welcome.

15 is a great price, but I'd prefer them in hardcover if I could find them. I'm willing to pay a little extra for them, but around 30 a volume is a bit too much when I can get all three volumes collected in the Omnibus for around 60.

vtsoxfan7 wrote:
The first two Visionaries I happened upon randomly one day on ebay (picked them up as a buy it now for $50 plus shipping). The third I ended up having to buy separately and I went to www.talesofwonder.com for that because I had always had good luck with their service. That one was closer to $30 I think. Now that they are that much older and potentially more difficult to find the Omnibus may be the cheaper way to go...especially from somewhere online - many places seem to have pretty decent discounts on them. Of course if you decide to go the TPB route on the Visionaries you can find them for cheaper.

Yeah I definitely don't want to go TPB. "Tales of Wonder" is a great site, as is "In Stock Trades". Those two sites are where I mainly go for all of my Hardcover trades. I was just hoping that I could find some kind of better deal or some site I don't know about. I wouldn't mind and may actually prefer the Omnibus if I didn't hear such bad things about the binding. Can anyone dispel the myth that the binding makes it not worth it (soxfan?).

By the way, thanks for the warm welcome guys.

On a sort of unrelated note, I am thinking about picking up a subscription to DD. I prefer the Hardcovers SO much more, but I feel like I can't really contribute to the boards for fear of reading spoilers (I'm only up to the end of volume 6 in the hardcovers). Do you guys think that I should pick up a subscription or would it be dumb to get a subscription when I'm just going to buy the same issues in hardcover anyways?

Thanks again guys,

-Streets-
vtsoxfan7
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say as I have had any issues with the binding but having read the issues many times before I pretty much read the interview and put it on the shelf. I think it's only natural for such large books to eventually have binding issues due to the weight of the pages. This thing is bigger than a lot of my old college text books and quite a few of them and they had binding issues. Of course those also got thrown around in backpacks and were reused over and over by many people on the used book front so I'm sure that was a contributing factor.

As for the subscription, you may want to consider it. The new Brubaker/Lark run is excellent and there has been no word of an upcoming HC to this point (that I know of) while they've solicited 3 tpbs for this run already. If you're through the Vol. 6 HC you've got all of the volume 2 HC's they've released. How extensive is your comic collection? I tend to only pick up 5-6 books monthly so I don't mind the expense of doubling up on some issues in the nice hardcovers for multiple read throughs. I know a lot of people aren't willing to do so!

harryhausen
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, soxfan (see you in the World Series when my Mets re-Buckner you guys!),

I just got the Visionaries (all three) on eBay for $35 – shipping included. Every time I search for ‘daredevil’ and ‘frank miller’ both, I find people selling them in the complete lot. Maybe they just got the omnibus and are putting them up? Check it out.
vtsoxfan7
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why's it always got to come back to Buckner!? You're killin' me!!!
hahahaha

I'd love to see that World Series matchup, but as much as I do love the Sox remember, they have a history of crumbling in the second half...we shall see!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: