Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Bendis & Maleev Omnibus v.1
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: Bendis & Maleev Omnibus v.1 Reply with quote

Has been solicited at amazon.fr:

http://www.amazon.fr/Daredevil-Omnibus-Brian-Michael-Bendis/dp/0785131124/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=english-books&qid=1200649981&sr=1-8

Apparently Bendis has said that the listing is wrong, but hasn't specified exactly why. My guess is that the first Omnibus would only include issues up to #50: It would be a nice cut-off point (I always think of Bendis' run as two halves, one leading up to #50 and one which spins out of it), and it would mean that Marvel could release two Omnibuses of equal length.

I hope this materialises anyway. I always held off on buying the HCs because I have the single issues, but this might be too good to pass up.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who bought all of the Bendis hardcovers, its pointless to get this omnibus. In fact, the hardcovers are bigger than the omnibus (page wise), so the HCs are probably better.

I'll skip this.

rgj
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that Marvel's Omnibus editions are any smaller than the regular Oversized HCs. Both formats look exactly the same height on my shelf.

Yeah, if I had the HC's I wouldn't buy this (just as I didn't buy the Omnibus of Grant Morrison's New X-Men), but since I don't, I think I will.

I wonder if the mooted black-and-white-and-red edition will materialise...
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about the size of the omnis and the HC. Guess I was thinking of the Absolute Editions from DC. Now, those are bigger and better. Guess DC is beating Marvel in just about all fronts.

Wouldn't mind a Brubaker/Lark Omni. Not to mention Nocienti and early Chichester. Hell, I'd even get the Lee stuff just for the hell of it.

rgj
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
You are right about the size of the omnis and the HC. Guess I was thinking of the Absolute Editions from DC. Now, those are bigger and better. Guess DC is beating Marvel in just about all fronts.

I don't know if that's fair. Marvel regularly trumps DC in the sales charts, they've got some top quality creators on their top titles, and they've certainly got a lot more going on in terms of movie adaptations. It's not possible to simply say that one publisher is 'better' than the other, I don't think.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, such a wet blanket! You are ruining my Marvel bashing Razz

My assesments are just based on my experience. I've basically dropped all Marvel and have added alot of DC/Veritgo in the last year. And, it comes down to the writing/ideas of the companies. Marvel has top quality creators? Gee, other than DD and Peter David, I wouldn't think that were true.

As for the movies. DC is just really getting started. They'll be pushing more than Supes and Bats soon. And, unfortunately, Marvel's saturation of movies has, for the most part, resulted in less than spectacular quality. GR, FF2 were pretty lame.

Oh, and the sales. Well, yeah, that's the bottom line. Sure. And, hey, I'm sure some of those manufactured boy bands and Spears clones do better in sales than Coldplay and Radiohead. But, that doesn't mean they are better.

rgj
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
Oh, and the sales. Well, yeah, that's the bottom line. Sure. And, hey, I'm sure some of those manufactured boy bands and Spears clones do better in sales than Coldplay and Radiohead. But, that doesn't mean they are better.

It's hard to spin those figures as DC "beating" Marvel though, isn't it? Smile
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
rgj wrote:

I don't know if that's fair. Marvel regularly trumps DC in the sales charts, they've got some top quality creators on their top titles, and they've certainly got a lot more going on in terms of movie adaptations. It's not possible to simply say that one publisher is 'better' than the other, I don't think.

Movie adaptations? Really? Spider-man 1, 2 and 3 were good (even though 3 got a mixed reaction). X-Men 1 and 2 were good. FF2 and X3 were okay but not that great. FF, Daredevil and Ghostrider were unwatchable. Hit and miss is putting it gently.

In any case rgj is being unfair. Vertigo is about taking comics as a medium seriously and producing innovative, solidly written comics. Marvel is about making as much money as they can. You can't really compare the two.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Movie adaptations? Really? Spider-man 1, 2 and 3 were good (even though 3 got a mixed reaction). X-Men 1 and 2 were good. FF2 and X3 were okay but not that great. FF, Daredevil and Ghostrider were unwatchable. Hit and miss is putting it gently.

Fair enough - but at least Marvel are getting their films out there. Two of DC's most high-profile films have stalled before even making it past the script stage (Wonder Woman and JLA) and the last Superman film was pretty poor. It's only Batman that's been worth watching recently (I can't wait for The Dark Knight).

james castle wrote:
In any case rgj is being unfair. Vertigo is about taking comics as a medium seriously and producing innovative, solidly written comics. Marvel is about making as much money as they can. You can't really compare the two.

I think rgj mentioned DC and Marvel in his original post, not Vertigo. But yes, comparing Marvel (as an entire publisher) to Vertigo (a small imprint of a much larger publisher) is fairly meaningless. A more apt comparison might be between Vertigo and Marvel's "Icon" imprint.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vertigo vs. Icon.

Yikes, I wonder how that would go.

Why aren't you laughing?
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Vertigo vs. Icon.

Oh, I think that Vertigo is the far superior imprint. But it would be a slightly fairer comparison than comparing Vertigo to Marvel (although still not entirely fair, since Icon is exclusively creator-owned stuff, and has a far smaller output).

I'm not sure that Marvel really has a direct equivalent of Vertigo - the other most likely candidate would be their 'MAX' imprint, but even then it seems to have a very different purpose (the majority of MAX comics are in-continuity Marvel Universe stories).
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
james castle wrote:
Vertigo vs. Icon.

Oh, I think that Vertigo is the far superior imprint. But it would be a slightly fairer comparison than comparing Vertigo to Marvel (although still not entirely fair, since Icon is exclusively creator-owned stuff, and has a far smaller output).

I'm not sure that Marvel really has a direct equivalent of Vertigo - the other most likely candidate would be their 'MAX' imprint, but even then it seems to have a very different purpose (the majority of MAX comics are in-continuity Marvel Universe stories).

True, true, true. I think we're agreeing on everything. The only thing I'll add though, is that I think there's probably a reason why Marvel doesn't have an imprint that compares favorably to Vertigo.

Icon is a joke. Sure, stuff is creator owned but let's look at the creators: Bendis, Mack, Straczynski, Brubaker and and now Millar. I, for one, think it's awesome that Marvel goes out of it's way to promote these virtually unknown and cutting edge writers. If a couple Marvel exclusivity contracts didn't have the words "oh, and you get to have something on Icon if you want" as a clause, I'd be shocked. Once again, Marvel isn't about innovation. It's about taking what works and beating it to a pulp.

Same deal with MAX. Most things are in continuity because that's all Marvel has going for it.

The other thing is that, while I agree that you can't really say Vertigo is "better" than Marvel you can say that the most celebrated comics of all time (Sandman, Preacher, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, etc) all have a Vertigo stamp on them.

Why aren't you laughing?
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I can see your point, I don't think Watchmen was a Vertigo book, was it? Confused
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
Although I can see your point, I don't think Watchmen was a Vertigo book, was it? Confused

Well, not when it was originally published (neither was V) but it is now!

Why aren't you laughing?
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
Oh, and the sales. Well, yeah, that's the bottom line.

I knew Marvel had the edge over DC last year, but I didn't realise that the split was this significant:

http://www.newsarama.com/marketreport/2007_year_end.html

Quote:
Tuesday Diamond Comics Distributors released their Year-End 2007 Sales Charts and Market Share Report, highlighting the best-selling comic books of the entire past year, along with how yearly sales broke down among the publishers.
The story this year appears to be Marvel’s dominance within the Top 100 Comic Books. Marvel had the bestselling comic book of the year with Captain America #25 - which garnered a great deal of mainstream press attention due to the surprising death of Steve Rogers in that issue - along with the Top 12 selling titles, 24 of the top 26, and 75 of the top 100.

DC Comics, which charted its first title at #13 with Justice League of America #7, took 19 spots in the Top 100, with Dark Horse (the only other publisher to chart in the Top 100) the other six.

In comparison, the Top 100 split between Marvel and DC in 2006 was a relatively even 53 Marvel/47 DC with no other publisher making the chart.

On the graphic novels side, Marvel also gets bestselling honors, with the Civil War Trade Paperback, but with the rest of the chart displaying its relatively higher level of diversity in terms of publishers represented as compared to the comic book chart.

Much as I love Marvel, I don't think that one publisher holding such a dominant position is healthy for the industry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: