Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Is Daredevil 15.1 a test run?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Is Daredevil 15.1 a test run? Reply with quote

In Daredevil 15, John Romita Sr., drawing for Daredevil, had the opportunity to draw Spider-Man for the first time in a crossover issue. Many think this was a test run for JRSr for him to take over from Steve Ditko at The Amazing Spider-Man. Down the line, something similar happened when Frank Miller was drawing a couple of issues of Spectacular Spider-Man, which crossed over with Daredevil. Of course, history was made when he jumped from there to become artist for Daredevil.

I wonder if a similar opportunity is presenting itself (in the writer context rather than artist context) with Marc Guggenheim's Daredevil 15.1. Guggenheim is well-known now as show runner for Arrow (which can sometimes have a very Dardevil-ian tone) and, more importantly, he used to be a lawyer and has worked on The Practice, Law and Order, etc. He has had a long history of ties to Marvel (and DC too actually) in the comics world. Does anyone think he might become the next writer for Daredevil?

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
admiralpetty
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be interested to read his issue for sure. I like Arrow quite a bit, it occasionally has overly soap opera-ish elements in it, but I think that can be chalked up more to the fact that it is a CW show rather than that having to much to do with Guggenheim's preferences. Overall the show is pretty excellent though(although it feels more like a Batman show than a Green Arrow show at times). Based on what we know of his history, he might make an excellent DD writer, and importantly, his work would probably be much grittier and more in line with the upcoming DD show.

Synergy is pretty important to Marvel these days, sometimes to much(I'm looking at you Nick Fury Jr.). It's definitely possible that he could be the next writer. I actually like Waid quite a bit, but it feels like his run is coming to a natural conclusion, and I would definitely like to see some grittier DD stories again.
Nightwing2001
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree with what Admiralpetty said, I am all for this writer taking a crack at writing DD as well.
Naked Bat
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasn't he also a law consultant for waid during his run? I guess it could help him to have an understanding of how waid see the character if anything.
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just clicked the preview on the homepage for 15.1, never knew Marc Guggenheim was a open DD fan. It makes sense, because I'm pretty sure some moments in that show have been directly lifted from DD books, just not as well done as the things they are emulating. I like Arrow, as already said, a bit soap-opery and a bit stiff at times but its a good show with season 2 as a highlight.

I saw that someone has become a co-showrunner so maybe there is legs to this. I quite like the small amount of art shown in that preview too so I'd like to see it happen.

Or maybe Arrow has a new co-showrunner because Daredevil exists as a TV show and they'll get in trouble for lifting any more Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: