Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DAREDEVIL #4 Preview, Reviews and Discussion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What did you think of DAREDEVIL #4?
25%
 25%  [ 3 ]
58%
 58%  [ 7 ]
16%
 16%  [ 2 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 12

Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: DAREDEVIL #4 Preview, Reviews and Discussion Reply with quote

DAREDEVIL #4 by Soule, Garney, Sudzuka and Milla ships February 24th, and here's the cover and preview

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/gallery/Daredevil-V5-004

Please use this thread for all discussion of the issue!
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never know how to feel when I see Born Again nods. I know they are just nice little tributes to a defining book but I think it should be treated as sacred and not quoted.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayle88 wrote:
I never know how to feel when I see Born Again nods. I know they are just nice little tributes to a defining book but I think it should be treated as sacred and not quoted.

I think "Born Again" is sacred text as well, but I think Matt's line in the preview is okay. That line in Born Again does express his feelings about Cap, and I like that that feeling hasn't changed after all these years and everything that has happened to Steve.
Dayle88
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
Dayle88 wrote:

I think "Born Again" is sacred text as well, but I think Matt's line in the preview is okay. That line in Born Again does express his feelings about Cap, and I like that that feeling hasn't changed after all these years and everything that has happened to Steve.

I agree, it was in context to it's original use.

I liked this issue. It's clear we're not going to get our answers about some things but I don't mind the mystery as long as other things are going on and the action of the last two issues have been really good.

We haven't actually seen what Ten Fingers has been up to but I suppose we're being asked to trust Matt and that he used to be a member of the Hand. I think it's telling that Matt himself thought he'd be an easy bad guy to take down as a confidence builder. Hopefully that means there is more to be revealed about him.

Blindspot has been a suitably small part of the book. He's involved in the story, maybe in an important way, but we aren't having to see him much.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ I'll be honest, I associate that line so much with Captain America that I had actually forgotten it came from Born Again (which shows you how great Frank Miller was when he was great).

I thought this issue was an improvement. There was more of an exploration of Matt's character in the new status quo (although I still wish Matt's personal life got some attention) and his connections with Tenfingers. I thought Blindspot got some welcome attention as well. Some random thoughts below:

I like Tenfingers as a villain. I don't think Daredevil has ever had a cult leader like this as a bad guy before. I don't tend to think of Matt as very religious. I think of him as exactly what he said - lapsed. But I do think his Catholic upbringing is an important aspect of him. Here is someone who is hiding behind his faith as a shield. He comes off as a slimeball, but who is to say he isn't sincere. Given that, there's a fine line between seeking justice and religious prosecution.

There was one little moment I would quibble with. When Matt starts wondering if he is like Tenfingers, I appreciate the parallel overall. On the other hand, I think it was laid on a little thick with the line "and anything that got in the way of using those abilities was against the will of God." I just don't see Matt thinking that way. On the other hand, when it started, I thought Tenfingers was still talking, so the parallel does ring somewhat true.

I like Daredevil's blindness being explored with the bomb. That was clever. It's quite rare for them to explore Daredevil's weaknesses on a normal day. It's even better because it ties into the new status quo. If Cap still knew Daredevil's secret identity, this wouldn't be an issue. Luckily, he came up with a creative solution.

I don't think a colorist has ever gotten this much attention before. It still like it, but I thought Captain America was supposed to be Mr. Negative when he first appeared.

Four Stars.

Not sure what to read next? Check out the Book Club for some ideas!

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the best issue of Volume 5 so far. I gave it a four.

I agree with pretty much everything Mike Murdock said. I like that Matt called up Steve because he needs advice from the most moral man he knows. It sheds light on the crisis of conscience stemming from the mysterious deal he made to restore his secret identity. I like how he he seems to be getting annoyed that some people who used to know it now don't.

The bomb sequence was the highlight of the issue for me. It's great when a creative team focuses on what Matt can't do. It just makes him more heroic when he finds a way around the obstacles. I loved the splash page with the line, "Turn it off." I was kind of puzzled by the use of his billy club cable in this part. It looked like it impaled the guy's leg. Did Garney draw some blood splatter when it hit the leg? I don't think I've ever seen the billy club cable go through someone before. I'm not sure it can.

I'm not sure I find Tenfingers as compelling as Mike Murdock does. I don't see how Matt could worry that he's as bad as Tenfingers. Of course we still don't know what deal Matt struck with whoever to restore his secret identity.

I honestly do feel we should have been let in on more than we have by now. This is the end of the fourth issue, and we still don't know very much. I have a sneaking suspicion that he is wearing the black costume because he's worried the red one would trigger some memories in people, but that's a conclusion I'm drawing with no help from Soule. So I am annoyed that we aren't being given more. This issue's crisis of conscience helped tide me over a bit, but I'm going to get grumpier if I still feel like I'm being kept in the dark.
Dragonbat
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone asked Soule on his Twitter feed

https://twitter.com/nhlrox/status/702329274993217537

Quote:
Secret Wars affected the Daredevil time skip, yes? How soon b4 we know how badly it affected Matt's life/choices?

Soule replied that it would be around #15. That doesn't rule out other reveals and teases.

I agree that this is Soule's best issue so far. I've liked the first three, but I haven't been as excited for the next issue as I was during Volume 3. (Or when I was limiting myself to two issues of Volume 2/week on Comixology, after I got hooked on DD and wanted to learn the history. Didn't want to go broke, hadn't found out about Marvel Unlimited, but dang, it was hard to hold back!)

Now? Now, I'm sitting on tenterhooks waiting for #5. And the new Netflix season, but I digress...
DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great issue from Soule and Garney. Only complaint is the continued lack of any personal life for Matt, but that's minor for me. I'm personally enjoying the slow burn of the mystery.

Also THATS how you reference Born Again. With respect and reverence, not as a piss poor joke that you then repeat later in your run to remind everyone how unfunny it was the first time.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you referring to?

DesignDevil
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was referring to a previous writer using the iconic "You shouldn't have signed it." line as a cheap joke two different times, both of which were painfully stupid and unfunny moments.
Mike Murdock
Golden Age

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember when it was? I recall it, but I seem to have quickly buried it as soon as I saw it.

Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was spoken by Kingpin in the final issue of volume 4. Even though that issue came out in September, I don't remember what happened that triggered it, but I remember feeling it was ham-fisted in there.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Murdock wrote:
^ I'll be honest, I associate that line so much with Captain America that I had actually forgotten it came from Born Again (which shows you how great Frank Miller was when he was great).

He's still great. It's the society reading his comics that's less so.
I'm with you, though. As many times as I've re-read Born Again, I didn't even catch the nod.

This, in my eyes, is the first 5/5 issue of the run so far. The Blindspot reveal was well-done (I love the dramatic juxtaposition of a character turning invisible during a 'reveal' - very clever), the presence of Captain America lended some much-needed context to Daredevil's placement in the overall MCU, and that little touch where he couldn't see the numbers on the digital timer was a much-needed reminder that godlike radar sense isn't a substitute for vision. Matt Murdock is, at the end of the day, still disabled.

I suppose the only minor quibble would be with Ron Garney handing the art reigns over to Goran Sudzuka on a few pages (most noticeably, during the Tenfingers dialogue sequences). Sudzuka does his best Garney imitation, and the half-tone dot coloring job helps camouflage it further, but the fall-off in quality was noticeable, nevertheless.

Still, a superb issue. Excellent stuff.
Darkdevil
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to finally see some interaction between Sam and his mother. Her relationship certainly seems stronger and deeper to Tenfingers than both we and Sam initially thought. His revealing his secret to her was nicely done (as was her reaction).

The parallels Matt is feeling about Tenfingers, his actions, and the perceptions of those actions is interesting though as Mike mentioned, the line about anything standing in Matt's way of using his abilities to help people is 'against the will of God' is a tad strong and unusual. But it does fit into the themes that Soule is exploring in this first arc so I can overlook it for the most part.

The bomb sequence was very well done, Soule does a great job in showing Matt's limitations, forcing him into taking drastic action to solve the crisis. But Matt seeking out Steve for advice here raises my concerns over what exactly Matt has done to restore his secret identity.

While I'm comfortable with the slow reveal about this, the hints dropped here are massive. Matt says that he made Steve forget about his true identity. How? Through what process? Matt keeps repeating how Steve is the most moral man that he knows yet Matt is reluctant, nay afraid, to tell Steve what he has done to him and apparently everyone else in making them forget his true identity, implying that in this case, the means may not justify the end. If Matt is afraid of Steve's judgement, then what does that say about what he's really done here?

Overall though, this was another solid issue from Soule and Co. Tenfingers' devotion and delusion is clarified, Sam comes clean to his mom, and Matt tries to salve his conscience. Some great drama and action here, 4 stars.
admiralpetty
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I enjoyed this issue. I wasn't sure how to feel about this run in the early issues, but it is starting to take shape a little more now. Biggest complaint is that after 4 issues I still don't find Ten Fingers all that interesting or threatening, but who knows, there's still time. I have a feeling this story may read better in trade form once its collected.

I do like seeing Daredevil in a darker story again. I actually enjoyed Waid's run quite a bit, but I'm happy to see a grittier take on DD again. I've liked most everything I've read by Soule on other comics, so I have no doubt that this should turn into an excellent run as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: