Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

The monthly DD:Father rescheduling!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey Q says:

Quote:
"Issue #6 was beyond late that we were now at the point where another month here and there wouldn’t matter an iota, so that made the decision easier."

Haha, it was already so late that he didn't care if it was later. Good work. This is especially ridiculous when you factor in the "this is to honour my dad" nonense that Joey was constantly saying when the series began. "Well, I wanted to honour my dad but then I got bored with the project and I was like, well, other things are more important. And my dad's not going anywhere so whatever". Pathetic.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfectly said. Couldn't agree more.

One should answer Mr Quesada something like "Go figure out how much it matters to the readers, who you treated like an amorphous mass of slobbering morons for all these months"
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When introducing DD: Father in interviews, Joe Q opened up to the readers on a genuine personal level about his father, which was definitely not required of him. He was not hyping the book. He wasn't making any marketing promises to the readers by explaining this motivation. (Of course, he may have been making promises with the readers via solicit dates, etc., and criticism on that level is justifiable.)

Joe Q's memories of his father are entirely his own, as is how he chooses to honor his father. As such, we cannot evaluate the degree to which DD: Father is a tribute to Joe Q's father. We cannot say that this effort is less meaningful because the book is late. To do so is at best ignorant.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The monthly DD:Father rescheduling! Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
We should take bets on which month it will actually be released. I'm thinking sometime in November... Razz

Did I call it, or did I call it?! Razz

I am so stoked for this issue!!!

Unless the ending really bugs me, I will definitely buy the hardcover as soon as it comes out.

...I have never done that before (buy a hardcover as soon as it comes out for a story I already have in single issues). ...I didn't even do that for Infinite Crisis (mostly because I thought the ending was very anti-climatic)... Neat!
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
When introducing DD: Father in interviews, Joe Q opened up to the readers on a genuine personal level about his father, which was definitely not required of him. He was not hyping the book. He wasn't making any marketing promises to the readers by explaining this motivation. (Of course, he may have been making promises with the readers via solicit dates, etc., and criticism on that level is justifiable.)

Joe Q's memories of his father are entirely his own, as is how he chooses to honor his father. As such, we cannot evaluate the degree to which DD: Father is a tribute to Joe Q's father. We cannot say that this effort is less meaningful because the book is late. To do so is at best ignorant.

I don't know. At the time his whole "you know I'm now going to open up on a genuine personal level" just smacked of a poorly thought out marketing ploy. As far as I'm concerned all this "it's a tribute to my dad" nonsense is just Joey's way of trying to elevate DD:Father into something more than it is.

I think the fact that it's been so late sort of enhances this hunch. I mean, if he was really all worked up about his father and this project you'd think he'd give it priority.

I'm not saying that it's all marketing hype for sure. I mean, there's no concrete evidence. Still, if I were you I'd think twice before buying into the Joey Q hype machine.

Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Still, if I were you I'd think twice before buying into the Joey Q hype machine.

While I disagree with you about your other comments in this thread, I do agree here. I've got the DC fan boy signature for a reason; after Avengers Disassembled, Secret War and House of M, I became insanely jaded by Marvel's hype machine. (...now, DC is kind of dropping the ball with the end of Infinite Crisis and One Year Later... Still, I think we're seeing a return of earth 2!!! Cool)

Anyway, I agree that hype should be avoided. Right now the only Marvel I read is DD, Astonishing X-Men (Whedon), Cap (Bru), and Uncanny (Bru). All these titles I read based on quality over hype. Likewise, I avoid hype titles like Wolverine: Origins like the plague!

I remember the year of the DD mini, when Father, Redemption and DD/Punisher all showed up. At this time, the other minis delivered 2473905x the punch, but Father still got more hype. (Take a guess why. Razz) Once more than just one issue of Father showed up, I started loving it.

Now, I'm a big fan of DD:Father because the book is packed to the rim with quality art, atmosphere and cunning prose, not to mention hints of going back to the story of Mike Murdock. DD:Father is among my favorite DD work of the past decade based on quality alone.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm as unimpressed as anyone else by the unprofessional approach that has been taken to this book, I'm going to try and ignore the whole issue of delays when I read this final issue. I might have to reread #1-5 so that I know where I am with the story, but really I think I'll try and assess it on its own merits and seperate writer/artist Quesada from EIC Quesada in my mind.
EightiesCartoon
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh, yes. DD: Father. This is the one where Bullseye's costume matches the movie's costume, yes?
Is Joe Q just Kevin Smith without a beard?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EightiesCartoon wrote:
Ahhh, yes. DD: Father. This is the one where Bullseye's costume matches the movie's costume, yes?

Actually, no. You're thinking of Bendis's "Hardcore" arc, in issues 46-50.

...I don't recall Bullseye showing up in Father.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
EightiesCartoon wrote:

No, no, I think he's thinking of Target (the first comic to put Bulls in the ridiculous movie outfit).

He also brings up a good point with regard to Kevin Smith, though. As far as I'm concerned one of the many reasons Smiths sucks is that he just doesn't get DD. He sits around yacking about guilt and how DD is a lady's man and blah, blah, blah but it's all just nonsense. It's all just catch phrases that have little to do with the actual character. Hence the suckage that was Guardian Devil.

Now, I haven't read Father at all (actually, I think I read issue 1 online at some point years ago) so maybe it's good but I can't shake the feeling that Joey Q shares the same "yeah, Ben Affleck was a wicked DD!" spirit that Smith does. Joey Q was, after all, one half of the crap fest Guardian Devil and was at least directly guilty of drawing the most ludicris "look, Matt is angry now" scenes of all time. Joey Q also has a way of trying to latch onto the success of DD (which is due ENTIRELY to Bendis and not the movie or Smith's ridiculous run) without actually really getting it.

That is to say: I have my doubts. When the series is over, someone please tell me whether it's worth picking up.

Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
As far as I'm concerned one of the many reasons Smiths sucks is that he just doesn't get DD. He sits around yacking about guilt and how DD is a lady's man and blah, blah, blah but it's all just nonsense. It's all just catch phrases that have little to do with the actual character. Hence the suckage that was Guardian Devil.

Amen! I simply could not agree more! Smith's DD could not be much further from the DD that I know and love from the work of Lee, Thomas, Miller, Nocenti, Chichester, Kesel, etc. The Guardian Devil Matt feels more like an extra from Dogma than the volume 1 Matt Murdock.

james castle wrote:
Joey Q was, after all, one half of the crap fest Guardian Devil and was at least directly guilty of drawing the most ludicris "look, Matt is angry now" scenes of all time.

I definitely disagree with you here. While I could not handle the way Quesada drew Matt and baby Karen, the rest of his art in this story was outstanding!

james castle wrote:
Joey Q also has a way of trying to latch onto the success of DD (which is due ENTIRELY to Bendis and not the movie or Smith's ridiculous run) without actually really getting it.

I disagree with you here, as well. At the same time, only taking into consideration DD:Father issues 1-5, I would say that Joe Q does not "get" Jack Murdock. However, we'll see what issue #6 has in store for Joe Q's image and history of Jack Murdock...
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, no, I think he's thinking of Target (the first comic to put Bulls in the ridiculous movie outfit).

Come on, it couldn't be that sucky.
By the time Bullseye reappears with it in "the Murdock Papers" I had already got accustomed to it.
EightiesCartoon
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Forrest wrote:
EightiesCartoon wrote:

He also brings up a good point with regard to Kevin Smith, though. As far as I'm concerned one of the many reasons Smiths sucks is that he just doesn't get DD. He sits around yacking about guilt and how DD is a lady's man and blah, blah, blah but it's all just nonsense. It's all just catch phrases that have little to do with the actual character. Hence the suckage that was Guardian Devil.

Now, I haven't read Father at all (actually, I think I read issue 1 online at some point years ago) so maybe it's good but I can't shake the feeling that Joey Q shares the same "yeah, Ben Affleck was a wicked DD!" spirit that Smith does. Joey Q was, after all, one half of the crap fest Guardian Devil and was at least directly guilty of drawing the most ludicris "look, Matt is angry now" scenes of all time. Joey Q also has a way of trying to latch onto the success of DD (which is due ENTIRELY to Bendis and not the movie or Smith's ridiculous run) without actually really getting it.

That is to say: I have my doubts. When the series is over, someone please tell me whether it's worth picking up.

Yeah, sorry guys, tongue far too firmly in cheek on that one. I was referring to DD: Target. 'Father' and 'Target' seem to have so much in common:
- both are/were vanity projects the 'creators' *term used loosely* wanted to indulge in
- both running/ran late
- both use Matt as a secondary character (Target=all about Bullseye, Father=all about a serial killer)
- both are written by hacks
- both are written by fat guys who think they *know* the character

Puh-lease. Hang it up Joey, you're fifteen minutes are up.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Come on, it couldn't be that sucky.
By the time Bullseye reappears with it in "the Murdock Papers" I had already got accustomed to it.

Although the most recent issue of Civil War suggests that he's reverted to the old costume...
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EightiesCartoon wrote:
I was referring to DD: Target. 'Father' and 'Target' seem to have so much in common:
[. . .]
- both use Matt as a secondary character (Target=all about Bullseye, Father=all about a serial killer)

I really don't see your argument on this one... Just out of curiosity, do you feel the same way about the following Bendis arcs: Wake Up, Underboss, Golden Age, and Decalogue? Likewise, did you read DD: Redemption?

In all these recent arcs, DD/Matt received equal to less exposure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: