Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Superman Returns. Did it make the grade? (spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grade the Superman Returns movie
A+
18%
 18%  [ 3 ]
A
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
A-
25%
 25%  [ 4 ]
B+
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
B
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
B-
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
C+
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
C
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
C-
6%
 6%  [ 1 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 16

james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Master Meglomaniac wrote:
No one else thought Lex's master plan was supremely stupid? Lex could have sold this technology and became richest man on Earth or built amazing weapons and conquered the Earth, instead he came up with a bad real estate scam. The military could have counter attacked and killed him, that eMP only lasted two minutes and Richard was able to fly his plane to NK? Why would anyone want to buy land on a giant barren rock anyway and what's to stop someone from buying land there and killing Lex in his sleep, for revenge?

Frankly the whole movie was a rehash of the 1978 film, with no new ideas.

But that was the point. Singer originally made the new movie a bit of a love letter to the original. Lex's "land deal" was a land deal because that was his plan in the first one. Plus, why is everyone getting bogged down in the ridiculous details. The point of the plan was "Lex is going to kill lots of people for personal gain". That's what you were supposed to take away from it. Not "well, that piece of property doesn't look like it will hold its value in the long run". Who thinks about that while watching a super hero movie?

I, for one, thought all the call backs to the original Superman were awesome and I giggled with glee everytime a visual cue, or line of dialogue or plot point was snuck in.

Oh, but you're right, Superman throwing an island into space wasn't a new idea. That's happend in, like, 10 movies before.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
No one else thought Lex's master plan was supremely stupid? Lex could have sold this technology and became richest man on Earth or built amazing weapons and conquered the Earth, instead he came up with a bad real estate scam. The military could have counter attacked and killed him, that eMP only lasted two minutes and Richard was able to fly his plane to NK? Why would anyone want to buy land on a giant barren rock anyway and what's to stop someone from buying land there and killing Lex in his sleep, for revenge?

Frankly the whole movie was a rehash of the 1978 film, with no new ideas.

But that was the point. Singer originally made the new movie a bit of a love letter to the original. Lex's "land deal" was a land deal because that was his plan in the first one. Plus, why is everyone getting bogged down in the ridiculous details. The point of the plan was "Lex is going to kill lots of people for personal gain". That's what you were supposed to take away from it. Not "well, that piece of property doesn't look like it will hold its value in the long run". Who thinks about that while watching a super hero movie?

I, for one, thought all the call backs to the original Superman were awesome and I giggled with glee everytime a visual cue, or line of dialogue or plot point was snuck in.

Oh, but you're right, Superman throwing an island into space wasn't a new idea. That's happend in, like, 10 movies before.

Lex's plot was nothing more than a rehash of the one from the first movie, this movie had nothing new to say. With advanced alien tech, there were a million ways he could have killed a bunch people for his own gain and not come off as an idiot in the process.

Superman throwing the island wasn't that much of new idea, in the first movie he already lifted a landmass (to prevent California from breaking off) and in Superman II he threw the Eiffel Tower into space, they just combined those ideas. You may been happy with this movie being nothing more than a rehash of the 1978 film, but I wanted something new.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lex's plot was nothing more than a rehash of the one from the first movie, this movie had nothing new to say. With advanced alien tech, there were a million ways he could have killed a bunch people for his own gain and not come off as an idiot in the process.

I don't think you get it. Lex isn't trying to kill people. He's just trying to make money/get power, etc.. It's just that he doesn't care if people die. And yes, of course there's lots of different plans Lex could have had but the varied land deal thing was in there as a nod to the first one. And that's what it was, a nod. Using krypton technology to build a new land mass is about a million times different than blowing up the Western fault line to hive off califonia. I mean, comon.

Superman throwing the island wasn't that much of new idea, in the first movie he already lifted a landmass (to prevent California from breaking off) and in Superman II he threw the Eiffel Tower into space, they just combined those ideas. You may been happy with this movie being nothing more than a rehash of the 1978 film, but I wanted something new.

So:

Lifting Land Mass + Throwing Tower = Throwing Island.

I assume you're joking.

Why aren't you laughing?
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:

I don't think you get it. Lex isn't trying to kill people. He's just trying to make money/get power, etc.. It's just that he doesn't care if people die. And yes, of course there's lots of different plans Lex could have had but the varied land deal thing was in there as a nod to the first one. And that's what it was, a nod. Using krypton technology to build a new land mass is about a million times different than blowing up the Western fault line to hive off califonia. I mean, comon.

So:

Lifting Land Mass + Throwing Tower = Throwing Island.

I assume you're joking.

If Lex wanted money and power he could have sold this alien tech to every country in the world and became a billionaire, he had to come with a scheme that was retarded and would have ended up with him being dead. This version of Lex was an idiot. His plan was a variant on the same idiotic real estate scam from Superman I, neither made any sense in the long run.

Superman getting his ass kicked while lifting an island, was lame, the island should have tore apart and pieces should have fell in the ocean while Superman was lifting it. That was pretty boring if it was supposed to be the main action sequence.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: I liked it Reply with quote

I give it a B+. I didn't like it as much as either of the Spider-Mans or the first two Supermans, but I thought it was very good. My only gripe is that it's not really explained why he had to go away for five years.

I hope they make another one. Given the difficulty of making the $270 million investment back, we may not see another one for a long time. Why are special effects so expensive? It's not like there are actual cars and trucks and buildings being demolished. If there were, I could understand the film's price tag. But computer effects running up a budget to hundreds of millions of dollars? You'd think computers would be saving the entertainment industry money, but it looks like just the opposite is happening.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lex is about money AND power. He would never sell a technology to someone else just to reap in the money. To him, it is greatly about control as it is to just being rich. If you recall his Prometheus speech near the beginning of the flick, it is about "bringing the fire to the people" and "taking a cut." This is very much a money AND power speech. He wants the world at his feet.

He also discusses about why countries, at certain times in history, rule the world the way they do. The Romans had the road, the Americans had the Atom bomb, etc... . This Kryponite technology in his possession was key to his ruling the world. Selling it would give him no power.

And remember, one whole crystal was used to make the land. He still possessed 6 more whole crystals for which he could harness in inventing advance weaponery and the likes. He even suggested this would be his next goal if a country would oppose him.

C.

Last edited by Clayton Blind Love on Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I liked it Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
I give it a B+. I didn't like it as much as either of the Spider-Mans or the first two Supermans, but I thought it was very good. My only gripe is that it's not really explained why he had to go away for five years.

I hope they make another one. Given the difficulty of making the $270 million investment back, we may not see another one for a long time. Why are special effects so expensive? It's not like there are actual cars and trucks and buildings being demolished. If there were, I could understand the film's price tag. But computer effects running up a budget to hundreds of millions of dollars? You'd think computers would be saving the entertainment industry money, but it looks like just the opposite is happening.

A significant portion of that $270 million was spent on 10 years of failing to get this movie on the screen. A lot of money was spent prior to even landing Singer to direct it.

C.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
Lex is about money AND power. He would never sell a technology to someone else just to reap in the money. To him, it is greatly about control as it is to just being rich. If you recall his Prometheus speech near the beginning of the flick, it is about "bringing the fire to the people" and "taking a cut." This is very much a money AND power speech. He wants the world at his feet.

He also discusses about why countries, at certain times in history, rule the world the way they do. The Romans had the road, the Americans had the Atom bomb, etc... . This Kryponite technology in his possession was key to his ruling the world. Selling it would give him no power.

And remember, one whole crystal was used to make the land. He still possessed 6 more whole crystals for which he could harness in inventing advance weaponery and the likes. He even suggested this would be his next goal if a country would oppose him.

C.

If Lex wanted power, he could have made alien tech weapons and taken over the world that way. The military would not have been able to touch him, if he was aboard a giant Kryponian warship or something. Sitting around on NK , with no defense against a military air strike, was stupid.

Last edited by The Overlord on Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman getting his ass kicked while lifting an island, was lame, the island should have tore apart and pieces should have fell in the ocean while Superman was lifting it. That was pretty boring if it was supposed to be the main action sequence.

I find this kind of comment hilarious. It is kind of ironic in a way. You'll pay money to see a man (an alien) in tights, fly around, stop bullets with his eyeball no less, etc... . Then you want reality. You want the real law of gravity applied to this flick and applied where you see fit. While you cut in and out of suspending your disbelief for 2 and 1/2 hours.

It is a movie about a comicbook. Enough said.

C.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this kind of comment hilarious. It is kind of ironic in a way. You'll pay money to see a man (an alien) in tights, fly around, stop bullets with his eyeball no less, etc... . Then you want reality. You want the real law of gravity applied to this flick and applied where you see fit. While you cut in and out of suspending your disbelief for 2 and 1/2 hours.

C.

I weant internal logic, that's what I want, in Superman's universe the yellow sun gives him the power to have bullets bounce off his eyes, fly around etc, that's fine but that doesn't for the rest of the world the laws of physics no longer apply to everything else on earth for no reason. Plus my SoD went out the window with Lex's idiotic plot.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah!?!?

Well, the alien/kryptonic land mass does not follow the basic laws of gravity that we know of. Our science is flawed! Deal with it. Razz

Wink
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah!?!?

Well, the alien/kryptonic land mass does not follow the basic laws of gravity that we know of. Our science is flawed! Deal with it. Razz

Wink

Whatever, still doesn't change the fact that Lex's plan was retarded.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you need a beer. I was just kidding around and being a geek and all, hence the "wink."

Sorry for your loss. The movie, that is.

C.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a movie about a comicbook. Enough said.

C.

Nice work Clay. You beat me to it.

Why aren't you laughing?
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah!?!?

Wink

Whatever, still doesn't change the fact that Lex's plan was retarded.

But that doesn't change the fact that your posts on this subject have been retarded.

Why aren't you laughing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The off-topic section All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: