Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DareDevil #90 SPOILERS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: DareDevil #90 SPOILERS Reply with quote

What do you think of Matt's continued trip abroad?
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pretty refreshing to see Matt get his ass handed to him courtesy of Tombstone.

I'm skeptical of Lily. If she's got some kind've power or something I think it cheapens the storyline a bit.

Great issue though.

www.UltimateCentral.com
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Your French, it is poison to my ears... no more...

That cracked me up.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is pretty obvious to me that Lily does have a power of some sort. That last page explains a lot. I'm liking this. I'm liking these covers very much too.

C.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that Alton Lennox isn't the end of the trail. Daredevil didn't really get an opportunity to figure out that much about him, and neither did we, so there is more to uncover still. I doubt that Lily is going to be the end of the trail too. It's interesting her ability to manipulate Matt, Tombstone and the Matador. It's almost Purple. Idea
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuljit Mithra wrote:
...Your French, it is poison to my ears... no more...

That cracked me up.

Me, too. Reminds me of my French teacher in high school "There's too much Texan in your French!" Mais, oui, but I cain't hep it. Laughing

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
I think it is pretty obvious to me that Lily does have a power of some sort. That last page explains a lot. I'm liking this. I'm liking these covers very much too.

C.
The covers are very nice indeed.

Isn't there someone who has that pheremone thing going on? I'm a little too tired tonight to go looking for it. But come on...what's the deal with the Matador getting all warm and fuzzy when he smells his mother's hair after she worked all day in the chocolate factory? Creepy. Wink

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggested this on chat a few weeks ago. Purple Man's power is pheromone based. At least this is what it has been revised to and defined under the most recent Daredevil Universe handbook. It has something to do with his skin releasing the pheromone that can come into contact with people near by. I think New Avengers or Alias went into this. Loeb, with Daredevil: Yellow kept this a color deal and I believe this is what it always was before. Even so, the Purple Man was never able to influence Daredevil. Now didn't the Purple Man also have a daughter? Purple Girl? She had purple skin as well. Old Alpha Flight issues is where I think I've seen her before. Lily reminds me of her a bit (without the purple skin).

C.
hekate32
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I read it, I just assumed Lily's 'power' was some chemical in her fabulous perfume, one that arouses protective feelings - Matt's for Karen and Matador's for his dear old mum, enabling her to play damsel in distress whilst being quite the femme fatale (one happy to sleepy with daddy's murderer). I wonder if Larry Cranston's been experimenting.

Tombstone looked the part, stronger, faster, tougher - Matt's going to have to fight smarter in the rematch and I'm sure he will. I remember reading Daredevil as a kid and friends asking how he could be my favourite hero, he's always getting his ass kicked! To me that was always part of Daredevil's appeal, the see-saw battles over the years with worthy adversaries. Big thumbs up to Mr Brubaker for writing in a genuinely threatening super villain.

The scenes I most enjoyed however were pre-Paris, the beautiful art as Matt walked around Sintra and his internal monologue and then the last page of Lily and Matador ( I was quite taken by the table lamps), especially the end panel close-up of a very devious looking Lily.

Now if only they could start bringing it out fortnightly.. weekly.. daily.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
I suggested this on chat a few weeks ago. Purple Man's power is pheromone based. At least this is what it has been revised to and defined under the most recent Daredevil Universe handbook. It has something to do with his skin releasing the pheromone that can come into contact with people near by. I think New Avengers or Alias went into this. Loeb, with Daredevil: Yellow kept this a color deal and I believe this is what it always was before. Even so, the Purple Man was never able to influence Daredevil. Now didn't the Purple Man also have a daughter? Purple Girl? She had purple skin as well. Old Alpha Flight issues is where I think I've seen her before. Lily reminds me of her a bit (without the purple skin).

C.
Don't know anything about a daughter, but with all the advances in skin bleaching or whatever the process is (Michael Jackson, *cough*) it stands to reason she could look "normal". Yeah, now I remember the discussion in the chat about this, Clayton. So, she goes with the enhanced pheremones instead of the color. Hmmm...

Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite enjoyed it, but it's somehow not living up to the first arc for me yet. Maybe it's the silliness of Matt wearing the costume abroad and hoping he's not noticed, or maybe it's just that the plot is a bit of a slow-burn - I have a feeling it'll work better once the whole thing is complete.

That said, the artwork is still nice. Having spent some time in Paris, I can say that it captures the feel of the place really well, especially the images of the Eiffel tower lit up like that.

And I'm interested to see where the stuff with Lily is going - some kind of mutant power, maybe?

Also, I know I did this for The Widow arc, but if anyone wants to know what DD is saying in French...

"His name is Tombstone! The first one who speaks won't lose his teeth!"

"Speak, in the name of God!"

"One of you must have seen him!"

"I can't promise that you'll land in the river..."

Loved the comeback about the quality of Matt's French, too! Very Happy And nice to see him doing some proper detective work with Dakota, too. The Oracle to Matt's Batman?
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like Bru is holding some of the mystery from view. It's much better when an author shows you all of the pieces before drawing them all together. It's not much of a mystery if there's merely a surprise ending.

Fortunately, Bru didn't do that with the last arc and there's a pretty good chance he's doing the same here. It's a slow burn as Wallace said already. But all will be forgiven if it all comes together.

Thanks to Wallace for the French translations. I will now print and slip them into my copy.
hekate32
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I have no qualms about Daredevil in costume outside of USA, New York, Hell's Kitchen, depending on which microcosm he 'ought' to be in. It's hardly as if it's his first venture abroad and whilst admittedly going back a while surely the extended and much publicised stay of Daredevil and the Black Widow in San Francisco where one Matthew Murdock was working would've alerted more attention. Would it have enhanced the storyline to have him wear a black jumpsuit and a bandana?
I might not read as many comics as I did, but that pulling on the mask, pulling of the shirt, cliched and unrealistic as it may be, is, for me at least, inextricably linked with the concept of the superhero. It doesn't matter if on a helicarrier far far away, someone spots a Daredevil swinging over Monmartre, the moment the costume comes on the reader knows it's Daredevil time.
Slightly tangentally whence did this symbiotic link between Daredevil and 'Hell's Kitchen' spring? I grew up reading side by side UK black/white reprints of probably pre-100 Daredevil (Jester, Starr Saxon) and the US McKensie/Miller. Pre-'Born Again' (apparently some hallowed tome) I wasn't even aware of this undeniable link. Perhaps someone with more digits than me can count how many times Matt felt compelled to intervene on the streets of Hell's Kitchen before this road to Damascus.
The one thing, the current arc has reminded me of and through no obvious similarities but that much less quantifiable feeling or atmosphere is Hitchock's Vertigo with Matt playing Jimmy Stewart to Lily's Novak. That's a good thing (for me anyway!).
The one person I do feel a little sorry for is Milla, and whilst myself indifferent (and no I haven't got all the Bendis/Maleev trades yet) she does look to be doing a 'heather' at this point. I don't want to browbeat the protagonist... okay why not. You get put in jail, your best friend gets killed when you're in there, wife comes to see you, get mad, too dangerous, no conjugal visit, break out... up to this point no options. Get costume, fight Iron Fist, chat with Ben and Dakota, get hair dye, go to Europe, never bother to call wife (probably phone tapped) or see wife (ninja skills only good for prison bars) don't want to upset wife cause on a revenge mission, will sort it all out when get home - make a note to self Mr Murdock, if she's a woman as opposed to a shop dummy, you're in for a world of pain.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it is Purple Man's daughter, with a pharmone manipulation going on, perhaps the guy with the I.V. is the Purple Man.

rgj
EightiesCartoon
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: Lily
Didn't Typhoid Mary have a similar 'device'?

Lovin' DD abroad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: