Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Hey Gang - Please check out Iron Fist this week!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Brubaker
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Hey Gang - Please check out Iron Fist this week! Reply with quote

Hey guys -- I've debated whether or not to post here, because I don't want to affect your dialog on the books, honestly. But I wanted to take a moment to point out that the new Iron Fist book that I'm co-writing with Matt Fraction is out this week, and it is really amazing looking. I think it's the start of a really great run, hopefully, too, but it's worth it just for the art, either way.

Oh, and please check out my creator-owned book, CRIMINAL, if you haven't already. It's one of my favorite things I've ever written, and perfect for any DD fan. Don't wait for the trade, help us stay around as a monthly, instead.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this for real?

Why did he call us "gang"?

Who's Iron Fist?

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be on Iron Fist for the initial arc for sure. I'm loving Criminal very much.

Can I be a character in DD Ed? The loser suck up guy. I don't care! Just immortalize my name. Please?

Clayton Scholefield.
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't want to add another book to my pull. Especially one focusing on Iron Fist. He's a great supporting character but I've not much interest in him past that. Unfortunately Burbaker's writing hasn't let me down and the art looks fantastic. *sigh* all right...

www.UltimateCentral.com
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheManWithoutFear wrote:
I really don't want to add another book to my pull. [. . .] Unfortunately Burbaker's writing hasn't let me down and the art looks fantastic. *sigh* all right...

Razz

This is what happened to me when Deadly Genesis came out. However, I'm very glad I picked that up!
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do in fact like Iron Fist at times. He has his moments depends on the writer. But with Bru's work with him in DD it was cool. And from the pages we've seen on Immortal Iron Fist #1...how can I not want it?
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the answers we seek (why does Alton Lennox hire Danny to be Daredevil?) lies within this first issue. Hhhmmmm.

I'm really losing it now. Wink

C.
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to give this a look. I enjoyed the preview in the Civil War "Choosing Sides" special, and I liked Matt's writing on Punisher: War Journal. I'm also enjoying Daredevil (obviously) and Criminal, and I like the art from what I've seen in previews, so signs point to this being a pretty good book. Looking forward to it.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll probably buy this Iron Fist. I saw you're really good at writing urban superheroes, and I like the character of Iron Fist.

This said, your interview with Bendis was a bit disappointing. You kept chit chatting about uninteresting stuff as if you didn't care no sh*t about the "amorphous mass of readers".
vtsoxfan7
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to re-read it because I tore through it real quick on my afternoon break at work, but I really enjoyed this first issue of Iron Fist. With books like this and Criminal (not to mention DD of course) I find my pull list becoming dominated by Mr. Brubaker's books. David Aja's art looks great too (just as it did in 'The Secret Life of Foggy Nelson'). Looking forward to more!

http://tburnham7.blogspot.com/

'So I've got THAT going for me...which is nice' - Bill Murray, Caddyshack
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, all I can reply on in the Bought/Thought forum would be all Bru books.

Iron Fist was great. But I always hate first issues where they rehash the past in long narratives. I love dialogue. Of course with any #1 issue, you have to make it for the first time audience. The story was probably more Matt Fraction than it was Bru. Then again, Bru does narrate a lot also. How does co-writing work? Bru did it in Gotham Central. Aja's art is awesome. Some Iron Fist poses made his waist and legs look like he's a female which I thought was funny. Not "haha" funny, but "man, he looks like a chick" funny. The action sequences are great with him fighting hordes of Hydra.

Did anyone notice their issues this week were thick? Tons of advertisements in them.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read this issue and it was so good!!! Cool

This was the first Iron Fist issue I have ever read and it pulled me in right away. Great story, captivating ending and amazing art! Even the lettering pulled me in. I'm definitely picking this one up!
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Wallace wrote:
I liked Matt's writing on Punisher: War Journal.
Dave, I am trying to like Matt Fraction, I got his Casanova, and really struggled with it, I felt it was like pushing custard up hill to be honest, his writing was stuttery and didn't flow. Being a massive Pun fan then of course I'm on board (Zane Lowe style!) for War Journal, but again, his Pun writing seemed stuttery and didn't flow like how many others writing does. I think that I love really black comics, so Ennis's Pun is down my street, so perhaps I am being harsh on that front, but I am not blown away yet.

Is this just me? Do you think it flows smoothly?

I've picked up Iron Fist but not read it yet, I flicked the preview last week and liked the art, but I'm buying this for Ed Bru to be fair, I like his stuff thus far, so I will give it a go.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
Is this just me? Do you think it flows smoothly?

I've picked up Iron Fist but not read it yet, I flicked the preview last week and liked the art, but I'm buying this for Ed Bru to be fair, I like his stuff thus far, so I will give it a go.

I can't speak for any of Matt's past work, but Iron Fist #1 definitely had flow, unique atmosphere (some great old school kung fu moments), and a gripping story, even for someone very new to Iron Fist.

I'd compare the overall newbie friendliness and ending hook to Brubaker's Captain America #1. I highly recommend it!
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey Gang - Please check out Iron Fist this week! Reply with quote

Ed Brubaker wrote:
Hey guys -- I've debated whether or not to post here, because I don't want to affect your dialog on the books, honestly. But I wanted to take a moment to point out that the new Iron Fist book that I'm co-writing with Matt Fraction is out this week, and it is really amazing looking. I think it's the start of a really great run, hopefully, too, but it's worth it just for the art, either way.

Oh, and please check out my creator-owned book, CRIMINAL, if you haven't already. It's one of my favorite things I've ever written, and perfect for any DD fan. Don't wait for the trade, help us stay around as a monthly, instead.

Well sir, it looks like you made the right decision to come out on here and plug your new Iron Fist book. We all got a copy and made a sell out for you. Wink

Second print in the works?

C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: