Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil #92 Discussion (Advanced Spoilers -- All reveals)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Daredevil #92 Discussion (Advanced Spoilers -- All reveals) Reply with quote

Definitely got my issue early today in the mail.

In Washington the F.B.I. Director is packing his things. He's on the phone complaining about he's the "new fall guy" even though everyone adored him a few months ago. He's lost his position with the bureau and is moving. The "movers" come and he asks them where to start and as he turns his back to them, they pull out a wire (to strangle with) and reply "That's your call."

Ben Urich gets a mysterious call and immediately contacts Dakota North about her fed connections..

Switzerland

Daredevil takes no prisoners as he storms this nice little vacation home that's being heavily guarded. He winds up in the study face to face with Vanessa Fisk whose in really bad shape. Basically she's sick... dying and she thinks that the reason she's dying is because of Karma and what she did to Richard. But then again, she figures she's not really the one to blame, Matt Murdock and her husband are for there constant years of playing the greater games with each other. So she took advantage of them being in prison and began elaborating this plan to destroy Matt's pysche. But she wants to make a deal with him. She wants to use her connections to clear Murdock's name so that he can go home and be Daredevil again and get his life back on the condition that when he's finally established himself again, he takes on Fisk's case and gets him out of jail. She says that if he doesn't, she's going to release pictures of DD in Europe that will further prove that there could be two DD's and with Matt missing, possibly be the 2nd out of the U.S. He doesn't care and refuses and istead of further humoring her, leaves her. Vanessa burns the pictures as a henchmen needs clarifying that this is how she wanted it and expect Matt to have to comply with her wishes after he finds out what's going on. He also asks why she didn't tell him Nelson was alive and she says that's his punishment for walking out and not cooperating. He's gonna have to learn the hard way.

Matt's listening to the television and learns that the F.B.I. Director has "killed himself" and in his suicide note reveals that he set Murdock up and is indeed innocent. He calls Dakota and tells her to call Danny because he needs to get home asap...

5/5

I'm not mad it was Vanessa. I'm happy he didn't try to throw more at us with some mastermind out of nowhere. I thought this whole thing was brilliant even though it's **** that they've put the genie back in the bottle. I wonder how Civil War's gonna affect him.

www.UltimateCentral.com
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any word on who gave Vanessa those pheromones?
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. All she said was "An old friend."

Hmmm, Brubaker mentioned in an interview that this arc would set up villains for the future. Purple Man is supposed to be in Canada, so I doubt its him. Could be Mr. Fear, Alan Fagan was able to distill a pheromone from the fear gas that would make him (almost) irresistible to women. Want to bet either Alan or his Uncle Larry Cranston couldn't create pheromones that would affect DD's sense of smell? Alan would do it for the money and Larry would do it on principal.
Ed Brubaker
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Daredevil #92 Discussion (Advanced Spoilers -- All revea Reply with quote

TheManWithoutFear wrote:
I thought this whole thing was brilliant even though it's **** that they've put the genie back in the bottle.

Don't assume any genies are going back in any bottles. Wait until next issue.
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Daredevil #92 Discussion (Advanced Spoilers -- All revea Reply with quote

Ed Brubaker wrote:
TheManWithoutFear wrote:
I thought this whole thing was brilliant even though it's **** that they've put the genie back in the bottle.

Woah... Shocked

Niiice. Twisted Evil

www.UltimateCentral.com
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whooooot! Very Happy

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea where this falls in the Civil War timeline? Is Matt going to walk back into Hell's Kitchen at the worst time possible?

www.UltimateCentral.com
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: NO CIVIL WAR - Please? Reply with quote

Wizard dubbed Brubaker's DD "Book of the Year," and with good reason. Meanwhile, Wizard concluded that Civil War was the "Event of the Year." Thus far, the "Event of the Year" has been all but excluded from the "Book of the Year." Perhaps it is best if this remains the case. The histrionic and oversensational Civil War would undoubtedly taint and blemish Brubaker's run. The too are mutually exclusive.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: NO CIVIL WAR - Please? Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
Wizard dubbed Brubaker's DD "Book of the Year," and with good reason. Meanwhile, Wizard concluded that Civil War was the "Event of the Year." Thus far, the "Event of the Year" has been all but excluded from the "Book of the Year." Perhaps it is best if this remains the case. The histrionic and oversensational Civil War would undoubtedly taint and blemish Brubaker's run. The too are mutually exclusive.

Maybe the TWO are. Cool

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed they are. Civil war, thus far, has been among the most melodramatic and overdone works in Marvel history. Its inclusion would only sully Brubaker's efforts.
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Daredevil #92 Discussion (Advanced Spoilers -- All revea Reply with quote

Ed Brubaker wrote:
TheManWithoutFear wrote:

Whew!

I was greatly disappointed, directly after reading this issue, that the genie was shoe-horned into the bottle. The re-set button had been pressed. And I was very dejected.

I am, right now, very much against ushering Daredevil back into the old standard quota. The "outting", I feel, left a great template to create ground-breaking stories in the Daredevil sandbox, and ultimately cultivating ground that had not been approached. Sadly, a number of people are very eager for this "re-set" from the current events on the title.

After reading Ed Brubaker's response (which I will still take with a grain of salt), I am genuinely relieved, and I think I might be in the minority on this.

I couldn't help it, I peeked at the "First Look" of DD# 92 when it was first released (damn my compulsively weak will to actually wait. lol) and saw who was behind it. And I felt let down (not as let down as I felt seeing a very possible re-set, but let down enough). I never really care much for Vanessa as a character. But after having read the entire issue and seeing everything develop, the identity of the "mastermind" makes sense enough that I am happy with it. Vanessa came off as being very sadistic (which follows through, very well, with Bendis's use of her murdering her own son and follows a credible chain-reaction as this character's morality spirals downward).

Overall, it wasn't a great issue... but it wasn't bad, either. It was "good", which in Brubaker's body of work certainly is "very good" by most other standards in the "superhero genre".

The artwork by Michael Lark, for me, seemed to slip a bit. Lark's work in the previous issues have been very solid. His work on this title has never been particularly tight (but that "loose" quality has helped to create the sense of ambiguity, I feel), but the work on this issue seemed more like sketches, panel-to-panel, compared to previous issues. This was a "talking heads" issue and it honestly made me miss the Alex Maleev work he would do in such an issue.

I have always been very impressed with Matt Hollingworth's colors, but since he teamed with Michael Lark, his pallet seems very muted and less vibrant. The colors have not "popped" as I'm accustomed to. But maybe it's just me... maybe I'm just in a mood. But the artwork, to me, in this issue was very underwhelming and painfully "average". But I digress.

Still, don't let my sulking fool you, I am very, very enthusiastic of this title and I am very supportive of Ed Brubaker (and Michael Lark, but just not this issue... sorry, Mike). Daredevil continues to be a great treat, each and every month.
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, fox, the secret identity exposed saga has been a prolonged one. Readers have endured long years of Matt fretting about the potential repurcussions of this revelation. Perhaps it is time to move in another direction. What is the alternative? An interminably longsaga? There are other aspects of Matt's persona, indeed of his very existence, that remain to be explored. I suspect that Brubaker recognizes this.
FatalRose
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda liked him in France, hope they bring the Matador back he is an awesome character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Matt's overseas journey was riveting. I cannot recall any prior overseas travel by Matt (with the possible exception of the nonsensical period wherein an amnesiac DD became a SHIELD agent and golbe-trotted). The Matador - ? I don't know - he was somewhat uninteresting. Tombstone, on the other hand, is a fearsome, petrifying character, and I would welcome his return at a later date.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
On the other hand, fox, the secret identity exposed saga has been a prolonged one. Readers have endured long years of Matt fretting about the potential repurcussions of this revelation. Perhaps it is time to move in another direction. What is the alternative? An interminably longsaga? There are other aspects of Matt's persona, indeed of his very existence, that remain to be explored. I suspect that Brubaker recognizes this.

i agree with stephan here. i would like to see the secret identity become a secret again. imo, it would be alright to have street level thugs "know" that matt is DD in an urban legend type of scenario. but from the point of view of federal and local govts, i'd like to see the whole identity thing go away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: