Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil #92 Discussion (Advanced Spoilers -- All reveals)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt can also be short-sighted and myopic at times. Matt has failed to anticipate or prepare for many of the untoward events in his life. Shouldn't a hero of his caliber have contingency plans?! Instead, he improvises. Given his intelligence, his lack of foresight is difficult to explain. Perhaps Brubaker can address this in issues to come.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
Why Vanessa made this assertion is beyond me.

Because she's a sick woman, mentally and physically.
Gee
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would say that maybe matt is a little selfish. he falls in love more than any other superhero, which is a quality of a man with a huge ego.

i know being a superhero is a selfless act mostly but there must be a little selfishness due to the fact that by being a hero he is putting his friends and loved ones in great danger. again a slightly selfish act by a guy with a huge ego.

after his identity became public he could have run, he could have joined shield he could have done one of many things, things that would make his friends safer but he did not. he stayed. possibly due to proving he is stronger than those trying to ruin his life, this is again a slightly selfish act.

sorry guys your love for matt is stopping you seeing the truth, he is selfish, has a huge ego and is greatly flawed. this makes me love the guy even more.
Gee
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and i would say its a real good issue. looking forward to more.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee wrote:
i would say that maybe matt is a little selfish. he falls in love more than any other superhero, which is a quality of a man with a huge ego.

If that's the case, then ALL men are selfish. I don't belive that crap that Kevin Smith and Mark Steven Johnson were saying about Matt being a "hound" with women. Let's see, he's been pretty monogamous with the women he's been with, and he's had some pretty long relationships. Doens't sound selfish to me. Hugh Hefner, now that some b*tch is selfish!!! Razz

Quote:
i know being a superhero is a selfless act mostly but there must be a little selfishness due to the fact that by being a hero he is putting his friends and loved ones in great danger. again a slightly selfish act by a guy with a huge ego.

I guess, then, that FBI and Customs and cops that go after the mob are pretty selfish too (and just about all masked heros, like Spiderman, that selfish jerk!). Matt's in good company.

Quote:
after his identity became public he could have run, he could have joined shield he could have done one of many things, things that would make his friends safer but he did not. he stayed. possibly due to proving he is stronger than those trying to ruin his life, this is again a slightly selfish act.

Matt running away would not prevent his friends from being in danger. In fact, one could argue that him running away would then make a supervillain go after his friends to flush him out (kind of like KP went after Matt's beloved Hell's Kitchen to flush him out in Born Again).

Quote:
sorry guys your love for matt is stopping you seeing the truth, he is selfish, has a huge ego and is greatly flawed. this makes me love the guy even more.

No one said Matt wasn't flawed. That's what makes him compelling. But, that doesn't mean, if he is selfish (or a jerk like he was with Heather when he wanted her to marry him) for an instance, that that word then DEFINES him. If I had to pick a word to define Matt it would be: NOBLE. I can't be far off the mark since Kingpin, Ben Urich and even Mephisto refered to him like this.

rgj
Gee
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rjg, i see many of your points, and appreciate your feedback. so here is my wee rebuttal-
you say all superheros are selfish if matt is, i would argue, alot has to do with the way dd conducts his activities. how many times has he lept before he looked? how many times has he addmitted he is doing something the hard or risky way because its more fun? how many times has he been needlessly reckless? anyone who has read dd for a few years will be able to think of plenty of examples of these, sorry but to be reckless (which he is, please don't try to argue with that, it would be silly) you have to be a little selfish.

my point about matt and his women was that he is not johnny storm or tony stark, he does not sleep around. my point is that he falls in love very easily, hes constantly in love and more importantly these women love him and he is happy with this, a man who lives his life would be more noble if he denied himself love and stopped putting women in bullseyes cross hairs. he would be more noble if he was monk like and gave up the ladies.

i am not saying matt is not noble or good but he is still a little selfish. does no one agree that the most reckless man in comics, who brings a blind women into a world with as much danger as his is at least a little selfish??
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, Gee, Peter Parker admitting to being Spiderman seems more reckless than that.

rgj
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Parker's actions were rash indeed, rgj (and it is still difficult to fathom why he opted to divulge his identity). Matt, meanwhile, has acknowledged that he was in the throes of a mental breakdown when he married Milla. He was not rational at the time that he rendered this decsion. The future of their relationship is in doubt.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think joey q said something about not liking Mary Jane. Basically, Marvel's going to kill her off and this is the means to do it. I think.

rgj
Gee
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

again i would argue (i always seem to, is in my legal training? or am i a dick, i hope i'm not! sorry if it seems like i am), spidey coming out was not that reckless, does he not live with the avengers now in possibly the most secure situation any superhero could have?
no coming out on his part was not reckless, what was reckless was running away from that situation and joining the underground movement.

but yes spidey has been a bit crazy recently.
hekate32
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A truly selfish Matt would've swiped a bottle of Lily's perfume to take home to Milla.
Gee
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha excellent.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee wrote:

no coming out on his [Spider-Man] part was not reckless, what was reckless was running away from that situation and joining the underground movement.

...is that Civil War logic I smell? Razz

Maybe that is why I can't stand Civil War; I'm stuck in a mind state where Spider-man declaring his identity on national television is EXTREMELY reckless.

This may be the same reason I think President Bush is an idiot... My mind isn't open to the new opposite logic... Shocked

(No offense, Gee. Very Happy)
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bush is not an idiot, Forest. He is a drunkard - a dypsomaniac with a sordid background who should never have been elevated to the Office of the Presidency. A lush is governing this republic. Civil War, meanwhile, could ultimately prove to be Marvel's undoing. If Marvel truly wants to thrive, it must abandon contrivances like this. Enough "epic" plots -the focus must be on character development and compelling stories.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, did this thread ever stray. Weren't we talking about DD issue 92, not Civil War, or US politics? I didn't vote for the current POTUS either, but I would prefer to read about DD on this forum, especially in the comics section.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: