Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Omit Civil War Altogether
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Omit Civil War Altogether Reply with quote

First off, the idea of Bullseye being on a team of any sort is just ridiculous. I'd say it's the most ridiculous idea of all time if it weren't for the fact that having Venom (the one who wants to eat your brains) on a team. Obviously, someone was like "let's have a team of the baddest of ass villians" and someone else went "yeah!" and someone else went "wait, you can't put those guys on a team...it's way, way out of character" and then someone else said "shut up" and they did it anyway. -

James Castle, early October 2007

I can only echo Mr. Castle's sentiments. Bullseye - an unfeeling, cold-blooded butcher who has claimed untold numbers of innocent lives - should most assuredly NOT be incorporated into any such crew. This imbecilic, inane, halfwitted idea is yet another reason why Brubaker should omit any reference to the ongoing Civil War. Why blacken and sully an otherwise stellar run? DD has thus far made no mention of the overdramatic Civil War - and the comic has enjoyed unparallelled success. Why tinker with this formula?
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a problem with The Thunderbolts or with Civil War?

Yeah, it's a stretch to put Bullseye on the team... but er, wait what about the rest of the team?

Do you read the rest of the Marvel Universe Stephan or just Daredevil? I was all about Bullseye when I saw the New Thunderbolts lineup but then I realized there were other, dangerous men on the playing field with him. Now you're making a post just about Bullseye being on the team? The whole concept that Stark has cooked up is a disaster waiting to happen and guess what? It's being addressed and there will be major consequences.

Omit Civil War? Daredevil's not a MAX title. It very much takes place in the Marvel Universe and if you like to mess with Universal continuity just so you can be selfish about your beloved character, be my guest. I'm not saying it should be Civil War: Daredevil but geez Matt Murdock's walking right into a warzone and you think it'd be good for the long run to have absolutely nothing of the outside world impact the story?

I disagree.

www.UltimateCentral.com
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Venom - ? Norman Osborn - ? This is pure folly, in my estimation. These nefarious villans would never be recruited by any rational decision-maker under any circumstances. It is preposterous. Indeed, it is quite possibly the most absurd notion ever put forward by Marvel (and yes, I do collect works other than DD). My primary concern with respect to Civil War centers on its long-term ramifications. Marvel has a history of launching endeavors purely for short-term gain (i.e., sales) and wholly ignoring the consequences. One noteworthy DD example: Chichester's Fall From Grace. This plotline generated impressive sales numbers (and favorable press) for DD initially, but in the long term it was a disaster. I believe I once dubbed this the Karl Rove Approach: focus exclusively on narrow short-term objectives, oblivious to the long-term repercussions of one's actions.

Brubaker has ignored Civil War almost entirely thus far. Why shouldn't he continue to do so? Why can't DD be an island of quality storytelling in a ocean of marketing ploys?
TheManWithoutFear
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Stephan']

Brubaker has ignored Civil War almost entirely thus far. Why shouldn't he continue to do so? Why can't DD be an island of quality storytelling in a ocean of marketing ploys?[/quote]That's bullshit Stephan and an insult to Brubaker's storytelling. He hasn't ignored Civil War. He mentioned it when needed and since Matt hasn't had direct contact with it, there isn't much more left to be said. Now Matt's heading back into the thick of it, pending on where in the timeline this all takes place, and I would like to know just where/when that is. But he definitely doesn't ignore CW altogether.

www.UltimateCentral.com
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Brubaker has ignored Civil War almost entirely thus far. Why shouldn't he continue to do so? Why can't DD be an island of quality storytelling in a ocean of marketing ploys?

Brubaker can afford to stop ignoring Civil War because he has the goddamn potential to write quality storytelling _even_ in the midst of an ocean of marketing ploys.
He is entirely capable, IMO to tie the story to Civil War and not only make it so it "doesn't suck" (to borrow an expression he used in a recent interview), but also show most of the writers out there how to insert quality contents into marketing ploys.

I don't know if Brubaker is going to do it. Either way, I'm with him.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stand Civil War, for many reasons. I love Daredevil. Therefore, I want Daredevil to have nothing to do with Civil War. It's that simple...

Francesco wrote:

Brubaker can afford to stop ignoring Civil War because he has the goddamn potential to write quality storytelling _even_ in the midst of an ocean of marketing ploys.
He is entirely capable, IMO to tie the story to Civil War and not only make it so it "doesn't suck" (to borrow an expression he used in a recent interview), but also show most of the writers out there how to insert quality contents into marketing ploys.

Good point and I very much agree that he is capable. In fact, the only Civil War stories that I have liked so far are the Captain America issues. At the same time, with Captain America, Civil War must be addressed. I see no reason why Brubaker should give himself a severe handicap by embracing Civil War in DD.

We already had a Mutant Registration Act cross-over in Nocenti's DD. That's plenty for me.
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. As I noted (correctly, I might add), Brubaker has largely ignored Civil War matters in DD thus far. The end result: a truly phenomenal product. Many notable Marvel events and crossovers (Secret Wars, by way of illustration) did not involve DD in any way, shape or form. Why should Civil War be an exception?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: Tie-ins Reply with quote

I've read some Civil War, and, in my opinion, it sucks... it really does. But it seems to be really stirring up excitement with a lot of comic book fans and generating sales.

Twenty-one years ago I was following a major Marvel event called Secret Wars II -- at least I started to follow it when around issue five or six until I realized that it sucked. But it did prompt me to buy a tie-in issue of Daredevil, #223. I still love that issue. In fact, I think in a thread from a long time ago, we discovered that a lot of people on this board claim that to be the first issue of Daredevil they bought. And we're still here twenty-one years later.

Maybe some people were first exposed to Daredevil through Nocenti's Fall of the Mutants tie-in. Or DeMatteis' Over the Edge tie-in. I read Brubaker's House of M tie-in in Captain America and it was great, although it seems that a lot people thought House of M itself blew. His current Civil War tie-in arc on Cap is okay.

If Denny O'Neil can create one of the most profound Daredevil stories out of a Secret Wars II tie-in, then there is no reason why Brubaker can't pull of similar magic with Daredevil during Civil War, especially now that the series seems to be winding up. And if some people get introduced to Daredevil in the process, than doesn't that make the world a better place?
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD should stay out of Civil War simply because he's a lawyer and therefore wouldn't care about it.

Iron Man: All superpowered people must register.
Matt: What? Why? Why should anyone care about this?
Iron Man: Because it's now illegal to be an unregistered hero.
Matt: It's always been illegal. Heck, look at me, I got arrested before all this nonsense.
Iron Man: Well, now it's super illegal.
Peter Parker: I'm Spider-Man.
Matt: That's great Pete. Look, why do I care about this?
Iron Man: Well, we're now using heroes to round up non-registered people.
Matt: Yeah, good luck with that. Heroes haven't even been able to round up all the villians in the past now they're rounding up each other?
Iron Man: Well, funny you should mention that since we're using villians to round up heroes.
Matt: What? Okay, let me get this straight. All superpowered people have to register? What about mutants? They must not like that.
Iron Man: Well, it's all a little vague. Given the mutant stance in the past you'd think the X-Men would literally kill all pro-registration people but so far they haven't done that. Bishop ran away with some people though.
Matt: Okay, but what about non-powered people like the Punisher.
Iron Man: He has to register.
Matt: Why?
Iron Man: Because....he...has...superpowers.
Matt: No he doesn't.
Iron Man: ....
Matt: In fact, neither do you. Are you registered or is it your suit?
Iron Man: ....well....
Matt: Who wrote this "law"?
Iron Man: Joey Q.
Matt: Ahhhh, I see.

Crap.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:

That is so halarious (along with the Iron Man suit quip). We might not read anything funnier the rest of the year!! So much for 2007.

rgj
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilarious indeed - though Bendis and his ilk are unlikely to be amused! How dare we suggest that Civil War is nonsensical?! It is an epic, damn it! A classic work that will forever change the comic realm! We will all be torn by it! It...never mind. You have undoubtedly heard it all before. Sigh. Why can't Marvel simply sell titles without the histrionics? Brubaker's works (which have been phemenomenal thus far) have captured readers' imaginations without purporting to be "life-altering," or profound. Why can't Marvel emulate our current DD scribe?
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm still reading Civil War and I'm still waiting for it to reach a level of quality that was present in #2 and sort of present for #3. #4 thru #6 have been no where near where it was for the first 3 issues. It appears that Millar had this brilliant idea for a start (he did) and he may have this brilliant idea for a conclusion (we'll have to wait and see), but he failed to write a decent "middle" part. One thing I will say is that the art is certainly carrying the book. McNiven is probably my favorite artist at the moment.

I hate to say this, but Civil War still hasn't produced an issue that can match the intensity, the shock, and the sheer enjoyment that Infinite Crisis #4 did so well.

C.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:

Iron Man: ....well.... after having being critically injured during a battle with the Extremis-enhanced Mallen, my nervous system was injected with a modified techno-organic virus that not only saved my life, but also fused the Iron Man armor to my body. This allows me to store the inner layers of the armor in the hollows of my bones as well as control it through direct brain impulses. I'm also able to remotely connect to external communications systems such as satellites, cellular phones, and computers throughout the world. But there's more. Because the armor's operating system is now directly connected to my nervous system, my response time has been significantly improved.(*)
So I guess that yes, I'm technically superpowered myself and so I had to register, which I did.

Matt: ....
Iron Man: On a side note, Murdock, why are you being such a dick? It's quite uncharacteristic of you.
Matt: .... well, you know, it depends on the writer. It happens when you're written by James Castle.

(* source: wikipedia)

But yours was a hilarious dialogue, no question Smile.

Last edited by Francesco on Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
battlin'J
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
DD should stay out of Civil War simply because he's a lawyer and therefore wouldn't care about it.

Iron Man: All superpowered people must register.
Matt: What? Why? Why should anyone care about this?
Iron Man: Because it's now illegal to be an unregistered hero.
Matt: It's always been illegal. Heck, look at me, I got arrested before all this nonsense.
Iron Man: Well, now it's super illegal.
Peter Parker: I'm Spider-Man.
Matt: That's great Pete. Look, why do I care about this?
Iron Man: Well, we're now using heroes to round up non-registered people.
Matt: Yeah, good luck with that. Heroes haven't even been able to round up all the villians in the past now they're rounding up each other?
Iron Man: Well, funny you should mention that since we're using villians to round up heroes.
Matt: What? Okay, let me get this straight. All superpowered people have to register? What about mutants? They must not like that.
Iron Man: Well, it's all a little vague. Given the mutant stance in the past you'd think the X-Men would literally kill all pro-registration people but so far they haven't done that. Bishop ran away with some people though.

Crap.

Best thing of this whole Civil War event.
Well done sir.
I have been enjoying some of the Marvel comic "not dealing" with Civil War while commenting on it, such as X-Factor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: