Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Omit Civil War Altogether
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Omit Civil War Altogether Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
DD has thus far made no mention of the overdramatic Civil War - and the comic has enjoyed unparallelled success.

Unless, of course, you're measuring its success against Civil War.

I understand that you are all on the internet, and therefore feel obliged to poo-poo the current 'flavor of the year', but I'm geniunely curious as to which element specifically upset you more: Is it the good writing or the sleek art?

...and I'm sorry, if you think Civil War is 'overdramatic'... you're reading the wrong comic book in Daredevil. This is a comic book which - when executed correctly - reads like a Noir book. Noir stories are classically the most over-the-top dramatic fare in all of the film, comic book, and literary industries! (*Ahem* Does "Matt - I HAVE AIDS!!" ring a bell?)

I agree with peoples' point that Iron Man is being written in a cackling, villainous way... but I think that points more towards the political biases of Mark Millar and his inability to understand where 'the other side of the aisle' is coming from than it does to the credibility of the book itself. I would be overjoyed if Mark Millar had presented Iron Man's arguments in a way that made him a fascinating character who you thought was wrong, but you got the feeling could beat you in an argument about the issue you disagreed with him on. It didn't happen. Oh well. Comic writers aren't perfect. Nothing changed at the end of Infinite Crisis. We all survived.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Omit Civil War Altogether Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:
Stephan wrote:
DD has thus far made no mention of the overdramatic Civil War - and the comic has enjoyed unparallelled success.

I understand that you are all on the internet, and therefore feel obliged to poo-poo the current 'flavor of the year', but I'm geniunely curious as to which element specifically upset you more: Is it the good writing or the sleek art?

I understand that you're on the internet and therefore have to accept what "The House of Ideas" spoon feeds you. However:

The "element" that I take issue with is the "ridiculous plot" element. Now, correct me if I'm wrong but according to wiki the X-Men are "officially neutral" in the conflict. What could this possibly mean? If they've up and registered then that would be the worst handling of the X-Men and the "mutant problem" of all time. My impression, however, is that they haven't and that their "neutrality" allows them not to. If that's true then it's even more ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned if you got the whole X-Men family together they could pretty much lay waste to the entire Marvel Universe before breakfast. What kind of registration act would leave a loophole that big? It's just ridiculous.

And it's not just a plot hole. It's a plot hole that goes directly to the very heart of the whole Civil War thing. It undercuts the basic premise of the entire series.

Like I said: crap.

Quote:

...and I'm sorry, if you think Civil War is 'overdramatic'... you're reading the wrong comic book in Daredevil. This is a comic book which - when executed correctly - reads like a Noir book. Noir stories are classically the most over-the-top dramatic fare in all of the film, comic book, and literary industries! (*Ahem* Does "Matt - I HAVE AIDS!!" ring a bell?)

*Ahem*, the "I HAVE AIDS" moment came when Smith was writing; a period which was decidedly un-noir, *Ahem*.

That aside, you're saying that street level noir books are more over-the-top dramatic than, hmmm, let's say over-the-top soap style space romps (i.e. X-Men stories). Yeah, Daredevil beating up the Kingpin in a bar is more "over-the-top" than Magneto tricking Jean Grey and Wolverine into taking a ride into the sun on astroid M, only to have the plan foiled when Wolverine (who loves Jean) kills her in order to activate an ancient cosmic force that has taken residence in her so that she can restructure the fabric of the astroid into a mind controlled space ship. Much more over the top.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Omit Civil War Altogether Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:
Stephan wrote:

The art is great, while the writing is a trainwreck. I'm online and I love 52 and the new Justice League of America, which is DC's "flavor of the year." Before that, I consistently professed my love for Infinite Crisis and the build up to it. Before that, I loved Avengers Disassembled. So, I clearly do not fit your notion of people posting online who inherently bash the "flavor of the year."

In the last issue, Venom and Bullseye were fighting alongside Iron Man and Reed Richards. Punisher was teamed up with Captain America. Not to mention it was issue #6 in a mini-series that is a shameless rehash of the 80s mutant registration bit which was very fleshed out in the X-titles, crossovers (including DD), the animated series, etc. This whole thing reads more like a joke than a good story.
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Marvel - Just Like Vanessa? Reply with quote

"Whatever sick game the two of you started playing, you may be better at than him... but you aren't you anymore." - Daredevil, referring to the contentious Fisk marriage in #92

Brubaker, however unwittingly, has shed light on the Marvel/DC rivalry. Marvel has unquestionably eclipsed DC in terms of sales - but in many respects, it isn't Marvel anymore. In its quest to crush DC, Marvel has resorted to histrionic, overdone, oversensational story lines, often accompanied by hyperbolic, inflated accounts in Wizard and other publications. Civil War is perhaps the most egregious example. Meanwhile, Marvel isn't Marvel anymore. Rather than coping with his personal woes (as he did in times past) Peter Parker appears on TV, and delivers a stirring (and, incidentally, patronizing) speech. Rather than dealing with his alcohol addiction (as he did in times past), Anthony Stark plots to detain and intern hordes of innocent people. Marvel isn't Marvel anymore. In the past, character development was the focal point. In the past, Marvel was more down-to-earth. Yes, the whole concept of costumed heroes is preposterous. But (in the past) Marvel made the notion conceivable, somehow. But Marvel isn't Marvel anymore. Joe Q has prevailed over DC - but at what cost?

Mr. Brubaker, I beseech you - don't allow this Civil War inanity to tarnish your run on DD.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not true. If you've read the Iron Man Civil War tie-in... you can clearly see Iron Man having nagging, uncertain doubts about the course of action he's taken, as a matter of fact, I think that's even spelled out in the Civil War comic itself. Even he seems aware that he may be affected by some kind of behind-the-scenes manipulation of some kind... intrapersonal uncertainty... classic Marvel fare.

Also, I'd point to all of the personal conflict within the Fantastic Four (i.e, Reed questioning his decisions, and the fact that it cost him Sue) and Spider-Man (Peter wondering how his identity being made public will effect M.J. and May - and eventually changing sides in no small part because of it) Civil War tie-ins. Never mind the fact that S.H.I.E.L.D. director Maria Hill has flat-out said she thought they were very likely doing the wrong thing... but she was trapped in her role as director, and planned on playing out her role to the end.

If that isn't Marvel, I don't know what is. If it were DC, there'd be a whole bunch of 'Where's Waldo with Capes'-style shots with characters who haven't appeared since Showcase #8 flying in a 'green-zone' or posing on bleachers, it would be rife with silver age references that 90% of the audience doesn't understand or care about, and there would have been a fill-in artist by issue 3.

Civil War is a Marvel title for the reason that it answers the question that every sane comic fan has been asking since day one: When Spider-Man knocks a big space monster into a high-rise in New York City in the middle of the afternoon - what happens to the people in the building? Are superheroes just automatically above-the-law because they wear badass outfits and we've decided that we like them - or is that a pompous notion, and they're putting lives in danger with no training whatsoever? Marvel concepts, all. If anything, I just think Marvel has gotten more of the bombast that they had in the 60's and 70's back into their stride.
Sandman
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:
Civil War is a Marvel title for the reason that it answers the question that every sane comic fan has been asking since day one: When Spider-Man knocks a big space monster into a high-rise in New York City in the middle of the afternoon - what happens to the people in the building? Are superheroes just automatically above-the-law because they wear badass outfits and we've decided that we like them - or is that a pompous notion, and they're putting lives in danger with no training whatsoever?

This issue was addressed very well in Marvels. Sure it didn't give you a knee-jerk government reaction, but it certainly did a decent job of showing how people responded to the heroes in their midsts -and how those reactions changed given a variety of classic scenes in the 616.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:

Civil War is a Marvel title for the reason that it answers the question that every sane comic fan has been asking since day one: When Spider-Man knocks a big space monster into a high-rise in New York City in the middle of the afternoon - what happens to the people in the building? Are superheroes just automatically above-the-law because they wear badass outfits and we've decided that we like them - or is that a pompous notion, and they're putting lives in danger with no training whatsoever?

What used to happen when Spider-Man swung in and saved the day (doing some small (or large) property damge as he went)? Hmmm. Let me think....oh WAIT! I know, the cops tried to arrest him. Why? Becaues what he was doing was illegal. That's odd though. Why didn't they just go to his house? Oh, yeah because he had a secret identity. Wait? Why did he have that? Oh yeah, because being a superhero was illegal.

Wait, wait, wait. I don't get it. Why didn't the cops just catch the heroes? What? They couldn't? Why? Oh yeah, because they have super powers.

"the question that every sane comic fan has been asking since day one" - Did you lift that directly from a Marvel press release or did you paraphrase just a bit.

Plus, if you don't mind, I'd really like you to explain the X-Men thing. So, after Civil War Spider-Man can't smash space stations into cities but mutants can?

Crap.

Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandman wrote:
Acerbus wrote:

This issue was addressed very well in Marvels. Sure it didn't give you a knee-jerk government reaction, but it certainly did a decent job of showing how people responded to the heroes in their midsts -and how those reactions changed given a variety of classic scenes in the 616.

Yeah, Acerbus, this issue has been explored a great many times but I think your statement pegged why Civil War has been so successful: There are tons of people out there who haven't read hardly any Marvel in the past. If I just started reading Marvel, I would love Civil War. Especially with the success of Marvel's recent films, there are more and more Marvel newbies. Many readers have only been exposed to Bullseye through Kevin Smith and Identity Disk, only exposed to Captain America through Ultimates, etc. This audience won't even pick up on the mesmerizing mischaracterizations that plague Civil War.

This is the target audience for Civil War: the newbie to Marvel Comics. I think that is a shame because recent big events like House of M and Infinite Crisis have been captivating to both new readers and long time fans. (52 is surprisingly turning out to be a expertly crafted comic in this regard.)

As others have stated before, Civil War as it is currently written really should be an Ultimate Universe tale. That simple change would make the writing infinitely more valid.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more. It'll be interesting to see whether or not this obviously short term stratagy eventually hurts Marvel in the long run. The jumping on point after jumping on point, EVENT! stratagy is obviously working for Marvel now but won't people who stick around for any length of time get bored? How many jumping on points can a person take? Can crop after crop of newbies really sustain Marvel through the years?

Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
The jumping on point after jumping on point, EVENT! stratagy is obviously working for Marvel now but won't people who stick around for any length of time get bored? How many jumping on points can a person take? Can crop after crop of newbies really sustain Marvel through the years?

I guess all this is what you just said:

I think the newbie accessibility of Marvel is not a bad thing; in fact it's a good thing. The disappointment is that this year Marvel has chosen a newbie friendly path that directly alienates and betrays longtime readers.

With the creation of the Ultimate Universe, Marvel struck gold. It was a genius idea that was perfectly executed and to this day I'm amazed that DC doesn't have an ~ultimate universe. (Wait until the event after 52, which Didio said is act 2 of a 3-part story...) Ultimate Spider-man, etc., simply could not be more newbie friendly, and it pulls in the long time fans. (I care about Ultimate Spidey far more than the 616 Spidey. Ditto for Ultimates over Avengers.) New readers didn't have to know jack about the first 500 issues of Amazing Spider-Man, all the other spidey titles and the Clone Saga to fully understand Ultimate Spider-man.

With Civil War, Marvel is giving the regular MarvelU the ultimate treatment: ~"forget what you know about these characters because here's the next generation." Sure, they may pull in some new fans from DC, etc. but in the end they may lose even more longterm fans. All this could have been avoided with writing that does not betray the characters. If DC writers and editorial could do it with Infinite Crisis and the weekly 52, Marvel can do it too.

(Sidenote: DC actually assigned Mark Waid the ~editorial job of making sure that the characters are not misrepresented in 52 becuse Mark Waid is the ultimate DC historian. Razz Contrast this with Marvel's attitude.)

...ah, DC vs. Marvel. I hate getting into that but sometimes it is inevitable.
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JC asserted:

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. It'll be interesting to see whether or not this obviously short term stratagy eventually hurts Marvel in the long run. The jumping on point after jumping on point, EVENT! stratagy is obviously working for Marvel now but won't people who stick around for any length of time get bored? How many jumping on points can a person take? Can crop after crop of newbies really sustain Marvel through the years?

Yes, Marvel has adopted the Rovian approach - focus solely on short-term gain, oblivious to the long-term consequences. In Rove's case, the end result has been disastrous. I suspect that Civil War will prove devastating to Marvel titles in the long term also. The Spider-Man titles, in particular, will suffer tremendously. This is precisely why I am apprehensive about DD's inclusion in Civil War.
[/quote]
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
This is precisely why I am apprehensive about DD's inclusion in Civil War.

Speaking of DD's inclusion in Civil War: I thought he was safely in France. According to the cover of Civil War #7, however, it looks like he's going to be dead* centre of the final battle:

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/CivilWar/07/cover07.html

Where's Tony's hat?

*get it? I love puns.

Why aren't you laughing?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, Marvel (Joey Q) is just grabbing stuff out of their (his) . . . well, you know. From the beginning, this whole premise was absurd (and branched out to other abusrd things like thunderbolts). Brubaker, or the poster Ed Brubaker, said that sometimes writers "eschew logic" for "story" (even bad ones I guess). james castle has pointed out several times why this whole thing is crap. And, he's absolutely right. I stayed away form all things CW (have some back issues of Spiderman comics I haven't read yet, but I may verywell drop all the Spidey titles form my pull list because of CW). Perhaps the "heroes" (did the govenrmnet "define" what a hero was, by the way) should have claimed to be mutants. Who's to say they aren't. Anyway, thank God it's almost over.

rgj
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Stephan wrote:
This is precisely why I am apprehensive about DD's inclusion in Civil War.

Speaking of DD's inclusion in Civil War: I thought he was safely in France. According to the cover of Civil War #7, however, it looks like he's going to be dead* centre of the final battle:

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/CivilWar/07/cover07.html

I'm betting that is Iron Fist as DD, who has been showing up throughout the book, even with dyed hair. [I read on a board somewhere that one of the crossovers (Frontline?) confirmed that Danny Rand is the DD seen in Civil War.]
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
I stayed away form all things CW (have some back issues of Spiderman comics I haven't read yet, but I may verywell drop all the Spidey titles form my pull list because of CW).

I find it odd that just a few years into getting Amazing Spider-man back on its feet with Strazinsky (sp), Mary and Peter back together, etc., Marvel has decided to mess with Spidey so much. From Sins Past to The Other to Civil War #2, tons of Spidey fans are quite mad. (Being someone who almost never reads 616 spidey, I actually liked Sins Past and The Other. I did not like CW #2 because it may be the biggest Spidey event ever but it was handled like a footnote, with barely a trace of story and logic setting up the event.) It will be interesting to see how fans react if MJ or Aunt May dies (again).

...plus, I heard that Ben Reily might be coming back? Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: