Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Omit Civil War Altogether
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Stephan wrote:
This is precisely why I am apprehensive about DD's inclusion in Civil War.

Speaking of DD's inclusion in Civil War: I thought he was safely in France. According to the cover of Civil War #7, however, it looks like he's going to be dead* centre of the final battle:

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/CivilWar/07/cover07.html

Where's Tony's hat?

*get it? I love puns.

Damn. Judging from all the covers, promotional art etc., it would seem like this Civil War, in the end, was just a long brawl between Iron Man and Cap.

Oh, and every time I see one of these pics with those two fighting I can't help but always wonder: "Why can't Tony Stark just grab Cap and throw him into outer space?".
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cuz Cap's not going to let him?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Oh, and every time I see one of these pics with those two fighting I can't help but always wonder: "Why can't Tony Stark just grab Cap and throw him into outer space?".

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. It's almost as ridiculous as Cap in the Infiity Gauntlet (or War) where he is like the last guy standing against Thanos. I mean all Cap has is his shield and super steroids pumping though his system (I hope Congress doesn't make him testify like they did those baseball players!). Anyway, its a "patriotic" thing. Cap can't lose/be beaten cause it's un-American damnit!!! That's why Cap kicks DD's ass every five years or so (remember Streets of Poison--DD guests stars just to have his ass handed to him). Because of that, flag or no flag, Captain America sucks. I think Brubaker should write a story where Matt kicks everyone's ass.

rgj
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solid Snake PAC wrote:
cuz Cap's not going to let him?

You know, I don't think that would be logically (even if Marvel comics aren't about logic, we all know it) enough.
I don't precisely know the extent of those two's powers, but the raw and naked facts are that:

Iron Man has a super-duper armor full of every optional which grants him invulnerabilty, flight, superstrenght on par with the Thing, repulsors rays and Bluetooth connection.

Cap is a soldier on steroids in a fancy costume, who handles an indestructible frying pan.

Sure, more often than not, in comics, the underdog can win by outsmarting the opponent. But... outsmarting Tony Stark? Hmm... a bit hard.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
I think Brubaker should write a story where Matt kicks everyone's ass.

rgj

I'd buy it. You readin' this Bru?

In all seriousness, I'd like to see a mini series that dealt with DD/Matt's missing year.
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question, Train. I voiced an interest in such a story several years ago. What tactics did Matt employ? How brutal was he? How much resistance did he encounter? Did his actions stem entirely from a supposed "nervous breakdown," or was it a strategic move? All critical issues that Bendis never addressed. Brubaker has an opportunity in the coming months to deal with DD's role as the guardian of Hell's Kitchen, and perhaps shed some light on our hero's modus operandi. Brubaker should chronicle Matt's struggle as an attorney, a community leader, and a vigilante. Hell's Kitchen has deteriorated since Matt's incarceration. How, exactly, will he reverse the trend? This would be far more riveting than Civil War histrionics.

Incidentally, Captain America's hackneyed, prosaic speech in Amazing Spider-Man #537 was nauseating. "No, you move." Oh, brother!
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:

Sure, more often than not, in comics, the underdog can win by outsmarting the opponent. But... outsmarting Tony Stark? Hmm... a bit hard.

Ah, if we're talking outsmarting Stark in combat, well, Cap could do that in his sleep. Cool
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like, faking to move to the left and moving to the right at the last moment?
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i figured it would be more like "Iron Man, your shoe is untied". When IM looks down, BLAMMO!
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the shoe thing worked on the Hulk!! And, the dumb green bastard doesn't even have shoes! Up next, Cap gives Galactus a knuckle sandwich. Seriously, Cap sucks.

rgj
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:

Hey, the shoe thing worked on the Hulk!! And, the dumb green bastard doesn't even have shoes!

Aaargh!!! I'm on the floor laughing my innards off my nostrils! Really! That hilarious pic followed by these lines were a tremendous one-two to my nervous system.

Ahh...
ah...

No, but the dumbest thing, beside the comically awkward pose of the Sentinel of Liberty. Is that he thinks that he can say what's of use and what isn't against the Hulk, and at the same moments he kicks Hulk in the face, as if that would be of more use instead.
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, looks like Civil War has some significance: Dr. Strange is an Avenger, Cap and Spiderwoman go to the Canadian team, Omega Flight.

edit: though his costume on the cover looks more like USAgent's. But didn't he die?
battlin'J
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hylozoii wrote:
Well, looks like Civil War has some significance: Dr. Strange is an Avenger, Cap and Spiderwoman go to the Canadian team, Omega Flight.

edit: though his costume on the cover looks more like USAgent's. But didn't he die?

At first it was worn by Rogers when he was "fired" as Captain America and he used the name "The Captain", which he may be called in Omega Flight, then it was adopted by Walker (?) as USAgent.
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for being a captious critic, but the most recent installment of Civil War was uninteresting and banal (and the story increasingly nonsensical). Once again, I urge Brubaker to omit Civil War-related drivel from DD. Civil War will not enhance the comic - nay rather, it could prove to be the comic's undoing.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
Forgive me for being a captious critic, but the most recent installment of Civil War was uninteresting and banal (and the story increasingly nonsensical). Once again, I urge Brubaker to omit Civil War-related drivel from DD. Civil War will not enhance the comic - nay rather, it could prove to be the comic's undoing.

I think your worrying over nothing, DD has already sat out most of the storyline and he will likely only deal with some of the fall out, but that won't be the main focus. Civil War's effect on the DD title will be minscule at best. I think there is potenial for Brubaker make some good stories out of the Civil war fallout and since DD was avoided getting involved in the main storyline (which would have been waste) I don't see the harm in Brubaker using the Civil War fallout as a back drop for some DD stories.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: