Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil #96 Solicitation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

won't we get some of these ever important details in Battlin' Jack Murdock..which i haven't heard of in a while. But i'm pretty hyped cuz..well I liked Jack Murdock, in all his few appearances here and there. He just has a powerful presence since his Miller days. loved him in Devil in Cell Block D.
hekate32
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given their penchant for hyperbole, I'd take any solicits with an extra pinch of salt or two, but as we're just 'spitballing', here's one way it might unfold...

"Sister Maggie returns with a dramatic confession - although Jack Murdock raised him, he is not Matt's father. It turns out that back in the day, Maggie was a bit of a livewire who spent her nights boozin' and hustlin' in some very seedy establishments and in possibly the sleaziest of these, she met and hooked up with a charismatic pool shark named Stick. Their passionate (brief and tawdry) affair ended with her pregnancy. It seems Stick was something of a player back then and having only recently arrived in New York from Greece and a torrid affair with the wife of an ambitious diplomat, he had no inclination to be shackled by this unfortunate turn of events. The hustler fled, young Maggie studied her options, swallowed hard and hooked up with one of her old flames, the dull but good-hearted Murdock. She was smart and pretty and he was a sap. However not long after Matt was born, and coinciding with her getting her figure back, Maggie surveyed their cramped and creaking apartment, stared hard at her infant son, took stock, and bailed.
Only years later upon reading of her son's heroism and hospitalisation did her maternal instincts (or possibly the overwhelming sense of guilt she'd been inflicted with since her conversion to Catholicism - a subject she refused to expound upon other than to suggest it had, at least initially, something to do with an attractive member of the clergy) compel her to that brief and mysterious visit to his bedside. And, whilst glad he'd found it some consolation, she confessed she herself found the ordeal traumatic and unsatisfactory, resolving to stay away in future but not before finding a way to contact his real father and let him know what had become of their son.
As it transpired, Stick had undergone an epiphany of his own in the intervening years, or at the very least felt some remorse for his persistent philandering, and seized the opportunity to make some sort of amends by training young Matthew and aiding in his adjustment to the point at which the boy was able to cope adequately and the man realised he wasn't all that fond of the company of teenagers. For all his talk of shadowy wars and converts, the more likely reason Stick sneaked into a college dorm to threaten his son with a bo staff and warn him away from bad girls like Elektra was the suspicion he'd left more behind than he intended when he skipped out of Athens and that being the case, it was best to keep the two of them as far apart as possible.
Sister Maggie goes on to reveal that Stick's death was only a smoke screen to keep the Hand off his back whilst he established a new ninja cabal with much cooler names, that at this moment he was training them high in the Himalayas, and that his most promising protege was a woman whose great courage had led him to raise from the dead - Karen Page.
Anger, confusion, hope, despair, disappointment, joy, more confusion, desire, sorrow, more hope - churning with emotion, Matt tells Maggie he hates her and he loves her and he wishes she weren't his mom and can they have coffee when he gets back, then pops in his contacts and within a few hours Mike Murdock is flying to Tibet.

But why is Maggie standing there chuckling, why is her appearance changing, what's that helmet she's removing, why does she have a 'tash? That's not Sister Maggie, that's Stark! With the use of a solid light hologram and his armour emitting the exact frequencies to foil Daredevil's hypersenses and his repulsors adjusted to send out a low energy pulse to make Matt exceptionally gullible, Ironman has sent him on a fool's errand. But why Tony? Ahh!! There's the answer as Tony leers at the image on SHIELD's surveillance recordings - the futurist lothario has been smitten by the lovely Milla Donovan, not least for her inclination to strip to her panties at any acceptable opportunity. Now to convince Natasha that Matthew has had another of his 'turns' and is hell-bent on ruining this poor woman and that one of her incredibly convincing forged break-up letters is called for, in braille this time - "Milla, I don't want us to go out anymore and don't call me or bug my friends. It's not you, it's me. Matt." Perfect, Miss Donovan will be primed for the Stark charm offensive and that never fails.

Poor duped Matthew trudging through the cold and snow struggling with all those emotions, some of which he doesn't have names for yet, praying to heaven the Elektra stuff is wide of the mark, desperate to find ninja Karen and slimy dad, burdened by the further realisation that the Himalayas covers a decent chunk of ground when suddenly a flare of heat and a burst of light cause him to shield eyes for dramatic effect and there before him stands.. Black Crow! The Navajo warrior apologises for his tardy arrival but explains that this was indeed the moment he had been waiting for to save Daredevil and that he knows all about Stark's machinations through his mystic contacts and that they should get back to New York right away because even if Milla's not big on facial hair, Iron Man is a total player and will likely use pheromones... "

All of which will no doubt be continued in the following arc "Caught Stark Naked". Or not.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Overlord wrote:
I find it a bit unbelievible that a house wife would be that good disappearing. Besides I assume the two plot lines a villain causing trouble and Matt meeting with a woman from his past are somehow connected.

You know, was it ever really detailed that Maggie was a housewife and then left and became a nun? I know that Kevin "the idiot" Smith used her in Guardian Devil, but I can't recall their conversation--most crappy, over the top, self serving stories are usually forgettable (espcially the details). Did Frank Miller ever elaborate?? I actaully think it's a better story that Maggie was a nun when she got pregers and secretly had the child and gave him to his father. Did Miller ever say that she became a nun after she had Matt?? Can't recall.

rgj
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to believe that Maggie got pregnant, gave Matt to Jack, became a Nun. I'm throwing broad strokes here..so whatever she was before is open to discussion. This is me just assuming from the miller tales.
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
The Overlord wrote:
I find it a bit unbelievible that a house wife would be that good disappearing. Besides I assume the two plot lines a villain causing trouble and Matt meeting with a woman from his past are somehow connected.

You know, was it ever really detailed that Maggie was a housewife and then left and became a nun? I know that Kevin "the idiot" Smith used her in Guardian Devil, but I can't recall their conversation--most crappy, over the top, self serving stories are usually forgettable (espcially the details). Did Frank Miller ever elaborate?? I actaully think it's a better story that Maggie was a nun when she got pregers and secretly had the child and gave him to his father. Did Miller ever say that she became a nun after she had Matt?? Can't recall.

rgj

I'm not sure that's been established one way or another, I thought she was a house wife who run away and became a nun, but I could be wrong on that. Since we know next to nothing about Maggie we can only speculate. Frankly we don't even know if the "woman from the past" described in the previews is Maggie, it could be someone else. Seriously since we know next to nothing about Maggie, its anyone's guess. But if she was Nun who just had sex with Jack and they were never married, yeah, it would be nearly impossible for someone to make the connection. But she was married to Jack and ran away to become a nun, then I think it be easier to find to her out.

Edit: I just thought of something, if she was Nun before meeting Jack, how did she hide the pregnancy from the other nuns?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Overlord wrote:
Edit: I just thought of something, if she was Nun before meeting Jack, how did she hide the pregnancy from the other nuns?

That's what writers are for. Seriously, the story would be much cooler this way.

rgj

p.s. I don't think Maggie's the one who's in the next arc. It could be anyone, even someone as lame as Echo. *yuck*
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its Ultimate Ronin! Razz (Did you see the new Marvel Previews?)

C.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the guessing about Maggie, I hate to pee in the proverbial corn flakes, but what about Elektra? Marvel seems to be a little more comfortable with her since her book was cancelled, slowly weaning the readers with a few appearances in the AWESOME "The Murdock Papers" story arc, and now in New Avengers.

With Matt already questioning his devotion to Milla, imagine the havoc that would be wrought if Elektra suddenly appeared, now freed of her connection with the Hand?

As for the villain - who knows? But... who knows if Kingpin is going to play my Murdock's rules after...

[Issue #93 SPOILER ALERT]

...he springs him from the 'pen.
the gael
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a woman from his past ?

Karen page, heather glenn and glorianna o'breen are all dead.
so i can only think of elektra, the black widow, sister maggie and... Typhoid mary.

Elektra would break havoc but she has been used ( in a bad way ) during the murdock paper.

Natasha ? Why not, I like her but... Elektra and her are used offen in the dd comic ( ok, natasha never appeared since the " black widow " arc, but I really want some new stories with more unused characters )

The most interesting choices are Typhoid Mary ( if brubaker can write her like nocenti did, she can be awesome ) and Sister Maggie ( the most exciting choice, her mysterious past can lead to some new and unexpected stories )
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Brubaker will reintroduce Kate to DD readers, Gael. She was a stellar attorney, and appeared quite personable! Matt's relationship with Kate should have been explored further.
the gael
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kate vinokur ?
I love the character who was the only interesting thing in the far from great " playing to the camera ".
I prefer her to milla, she was much more Matt equivalent.
If I remember, she stopped her relation with DD when she discovered that he was Matt Murdock ( even if she never said it ), the opposite lawyer in trial.
that would be fun if in a future story Matt meet her again, but I doubt that she is " a woman from his past " with a significal impact like sister maggie, typhoid mary or karen page.
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No question - the Matt/Kate relationship was the only notable development in the nonsensical "Playing to the Camera" plotline! Another female character whose return would be welcome is the DA Kathy Malper. She was a compelling (if brusque) personality.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap. I'd like to register an early vote for this thread to be eventually posted in the Hall of Fame. I forgot I had even posted on it and then just ducked in to see what Stephen had said and....what the hell? You guys can't be serious.

First off, I fully admit that I might be wrong. Maybe the woman in question will be Maggie. On the other hand, I find this incredibly doubtful. Read the solicit for the love of god:

"But when a woman from his past enters the picture, it could all go flying off the rails."

Has anyone ever referred to their mother as "a woman from my past" or to someone else's mother as "a woman from your past". Surely the phrase "a woman from one's past" has a certain tone to it and that tone does not say "mom".

Plus, my original point with regard to "how in lord's name could Maggie send Matt's life off the rails?" still stands. Of course The Overlord (one crazy egotistical name for another, huh?) comes up with a possible situation (a super villian investigates the slight possibility that a dead person isn't really dead starting from the point where Matt's mother was "last seen" (?)). As ridiculous as that situation is (for all the reasons rgj points out), I'll also note that it doesn't fit with the solicit either. The solicit says "enters the picture". Being kidnapped or some such nonsense by a super villian does not constitute "entering the picture".

Foggy: Matt, Mysterio has your mom.
Matt: So, my mother finally enters the picture.
Foggy: You mean the woman from the past.
Matt: Yes, the woman from my past finally enters the picture.
Foggy: I hope this doesn't make you go off the rails.
Matt: Me too old buddy, me too.

The whole tone of the solicit screams anything but Maggie being kidnapped (or whatever).

Somehow, however, real world facts about paper trails and how they impact on fake worlds got debated for a while.

Then some dude wrote a crazy long fan-fic.

Then Stephan reaffirmed his undying love for Kate (who I hate).

I will say that the prego-nun, prego-non-nun debate is kinda interesting. I always assumed that she was a nun when she got pregnant and that's why she wasn't in Matt's life. Surely this was Miller's original intention (a boxer getting a nun pregnant is so Miller it's insane).

As for how she could hide it: lots of nuns through out history have gotten pregnant and hid it from their nun-mates. In fact one pope (who was actually a lade pretending to be a dude) got pregnant and actually gave birth on the street (!). So, you know, apparently it's not that hard.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
Another female character whose return would be welcome is the DA Kathy Malper.

I would love to see her return! However, I doubt this is the appearance coming up.

Did we ever find out what Elektra was doing in Chicago, in The Murdock Papers?

If you look at it from the right angle, The Murdock Papers gives great indication that Elektra could have set up Matt. (E.g. She pretend to have helped create the non-existant Murdock Papers. Then, she set something up to make sure that Matt would be at the Night Nurse's, while Fisk/FBI director got that location from Urich.)

Even if she didn't set him up, I don't recall any resolution to the scene in which she killed those men in Chicago. Did I miss something?
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its Death-Stalker's deranged mother (the one that dispatched robots to slay Matt in some preposterous story -Kuljit undoubtedly knows the issue #)!! OK, perhaps not. I'm not enamored of Kate, JC - I simply believe that Matt's circle of friends should include more members of his chosen profession. Aside from Foggy, Matt really hasn't befriended any other attorneys. This is contrary to logic. Brubaker should reintroduce Kate, former DA Blake Tower, Kathy Malper, etc., to rectify this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: