Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Batman
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Born Again
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Batman Reply with quote

Why does everyone say DD is like Batman? I think Batman is more like Iron man.
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD: Father Killed as a child, grows up to fight crime, at one point written by Miller and others who had written for Batman at some point.

Batman: Parents killed as a child, grows up to fight crime, at one point written by Miller and others who had written for DD at some point.

there are SOME similarities between the two..but it's a few in general. Matt gets blinded by saving a life in return is blinded and given an "enhancement" of his remaining senses. Batman uses his wealth to fight crime. Matt helps those who can't be helped as a lawyer. Wayne is viewed as a bachelor, with all the attributes related to them at times. Wayne probably wouldn't become a hero if his parents hadn't been killed. That was his motivation. Matt was a hero before he became DD. Wayne trained to be Batman. Albeit...DD had training as well..but it wasn't to become DD. There's a lot of stuff that are similar but they differ in some big ways.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why does everyone say DD is like Batman?

Because they're superficial.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DD: Father Killed as a child

Well, 17/18 years of age (Matt) isn't really "a child."

rgj
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of Miller.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
hylozoii
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Batman Reply with quote

Born Again wrote:
Why does everyone say DD is like Batman?

Because they both secretly love watching The Gilmore Girls.
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well than, now that we're on the topic of it. In the original pre-Miller run Matt's dad died while he was in college? or is it a bit before? How old do you think Matt was in Man without Fear, as of his father's death?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Miller had him at seventeen years of age, while Stan Lee had him as a freshman in college (not Colombia, too). Mark Steven Johnson was the only dolt that got it wrong. The way he wrote it you would think Matt would have ended up in foster care, most likely gowing up somewhere no where near Hell's Kitchen. MSJ sucks.

rgj
Gee
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took my girlfriend to see the dd movie (well more like made her) and she told me after it that they got dd and batman mixed up, matt should be batman due to his senses and bruce wayne should be the man without fear due to his being fearless and having no powers. i suppose she has a point but i still like it the way it is.

matt and bruce are different in a lot of ways, bruce will plan everything, leave nothing to chance, dd would leap off a building and work out a plan on the way down. bruce is a spoiled millionaire, matt had to fight for everything. because they are gritty, orphaned, low powered, ninja trained characters they will always be compared, but they are certainly very different dudes.
Born Again
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah,I figured Stark's closer because of him being a millionaire with lots of high-tech gadgets.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batman is nothing like Iron Man.

That is all.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
DAREDEVIL
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Batman is anything like Iron man, he is morelike Moon Knight aesthetically and a little like DD because of his grittyness. Bruce Wayne isn't a spoiled millionaire he travel the world and lived like **** to understand the criminal mind and train martial arts to a certain perfection. The fortune made nothgin except some things like traveling and gadets easier so it dosen't make it spoiled.

And dude your gilfriend does have a very good point, Matt Murdock is powered like a bat and Bruce Wayne is a man without fear. I didn't knew Matt was blind as a young man (late teens), I always thought it was like in the movie at 12 or something like that.
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say Batman is spoiled, but as his persona Bruce Wayne for the public it could be viewed like that. I think Mazzuchelli put it best. The moment Wayne's parents died, Bruce Wayne was no more, he became the Batman that night figuratively speaking of course.
Gee
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok ok i admit, saying batman was spoiled may have been a little harsh. what i meant was that he has all the money he could ever want and at any time time in his travels etc he could have moved to the local 5 star hotel. this makes it easier to go through hardship.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Batman Reply with quote

Born Again wrote:
Why does everyone say DD is like Batman? I think Batman is more like Iron man.

A moment of clarity!!! Very Happy

As a Daredevil fan, I am cursed to hear the "DD is Marvel's Batman" sort of arguments until I get the feeling that I am one of the very few people who has ever actually read a DD comic! Razz

You're right, Iron Man has more in common with Batman than DD does. I would say that Iron Fist, Fury and Punisher have at least as much in common with Batman as DD does.

If I ever had to say _______ is Marvel's Batman, I would say that of Nick Fury.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: