Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Becky
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy with Becky's new role/direction in DD?
Yep!
78%
 78%  [ 11 ]
Nope
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 14

Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Becky Reply with quote

Let's quantify! Razz

Actually, some of the long individual issue review threads scare me. So, here's to Becky.

Personally, I love her new direction. It's something many other writers should have done. Daredevil needs a more diverse regular cast. Why create new characters when there are excellent ones like Becky gathering dust?
fox_limbo
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, seeing as how other people have not accounted for their vote, I'll para-phrase, in my own way.

This is a very good idea.

Becky Blake's character will make for more of a diverse cast of characters, and will add to larger stories, to one way or another. I enjoyed her return in Brubaker's first issue (DD# 82 for those who aren't looking) and was quite happy to see her return.

This, among other things is one of the nuances that Mister Brubaker had brought to this title.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Vol.2 only, she is a totally new character to me. I've read Kuljit's profile of her, but that is all I know. I have zero emotional attachment to her at the moment, so I am totally open to how she is used in the book. I await to see some character fleshed out. On the basis that I'm expecting some slight exposition on her history, I'd imagine that she will be a "new" character for most of the newer (Vol2) DD readers, either those still on from Bendis!'s reign or Bru-Newbies, so I'll probably be able to develop an opinion of her in about a year or so. Obviously for you Vol 1 disciples she is old news, but new direction (apparently!).

EDIT: I haven't voted as it would be inaccurate.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
As a Vol.2 only

Privateer, you have not read Born Again?! Passing on the Elektra Saga might be acceptable, but not Born Again!!! Razz

Seriously, I think you'd LOVE that story.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that she is back. Oh wait! Is Ed gonna kill her? Shocked

Then it would be Ed Smith. Razz

C.
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becky was enamored of Matt in times past. Wonder if she still harbors such feelings? The villain responsible for Becky's handicap (the name of this Frank Miller-created brute escapes me at the moment) should be reintroduced. Becky was never afforded an opportunity to confront this fiend.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, a major reason I posted this was to hear why someone might not like Becky's new direction/inclusion... and here someone voted no, without leaving a comment. Razz
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no misgivings about Becky's inclusion as a supporting character, Forrest. But her elevation to partner (something which ordinarily requires years of dedicated effort to achieve) strains credulity. It is unconventional to say the least.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
her elevation to partner (something which ordinarily requires years of dedicated effort to achieve) strains credulity.

Si, but doesn't Becky have "years of dedicated effort" in Matt and Foggy's lives, including their professional lives? Furthermore, Becky was there for Matt when he needed her most. She's earned it.
Stephan
Humanity's Fathom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becky certainly has demonstrated her loyalty to Matt (unlike some who were conspicuously absent during his imprisonment), and she has tremendous potential as a supporting character. But her elevation to partner is an unprecedented step (it has hitherto always been Nelson & Murdock) and appears abrupt.

Incidentally, other notable supporting characters should also be reintroduced. Willie Lincoln comes to mind. Kathy Malper, the plainspoken DA. How about Nyla, Matt's cohort in the Nocenti era?
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Meh... Reply with quote

Pointless character, made no better by her inclusion in Volume 2 and subsequent promotion from token secondary disabled character to partner in the lawfirm. If Ed Brubaker has good stuff planned for her, then great, but otherwise, one more person soaking up dialogue that could be bare-bones and exchanged between main characters will have a deleterious effect on any book. Modern comic books aren't compressed enough as it is, without inane subplots involving supporting cast.

Foggy, himself, is given much too large a role in the book. In Frank Miller's run, he took the wind out of the character's sails a bit, and made Foggy what he is: a supporting character.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
The Privateer wrote:
As a Vol.2 only

Privateer, you have not read Born Again?! Passing on the Elektra Saga might be acceptable, but not Born Again!!! Razz

Apols, I have read that one in tpb, I think I got fed up with everyone talking about it and not understanding what all the fuss was about. So I bought it, read it and loved it. Justified in its praise for the deconstruction of a man, though I felt it tailed off towards the end with the army (Give me a red) bloke whose name escapes me. (Cue some Fanboy to post the name!)
The Overlord
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
Forrest wrote:
The Privateer wrote:
As a Vol.2 only

Apols, I have read that one in tpb, I think I got fed up with everyone talking about it and not understanding what all the fuss was about. So I bought it, read it and loved it. Justified in its praise for the deconstruction of a man, though I felt it tailed off towards the end with the army (Give me a red) bloke whose name escapes me. (Cue some Fanboy to post the name!)

His name was Nuke.
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
(it has hitherto always been Nelson & Murdock)

What about Sharpe, Nelson & Murdock?

And yes, I like that they have brought Becky back to the firm. She was always smart, reliable, and evidently now she proved to be a self-starter, going back to school for a law degree. Why can't she be in the firm as a partner? It's a comic book, not the Cochran Firm, after all.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the big commotion about Becky? She's been freaking helping Matt in his case since he got in prison. I think that's a favor enough to put her name in the firm. I'm happy to see her back, haven't seen her since..well actually I've only known her since the Miller run.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: