Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Civil War Impact (Spoilers)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Civil War Impact (Spoilers) Reply with quote

Well, I read Civil War #7 and ...blah...

I was hoping that Civil War would end more like House of M, in wrapping up the loose ends (e.g. Stark's heartbeat). It didn't and by all appearances, every Marvel book will be in the shadow of Civil War. Being someone who didn't like Civil War at all, I will not be reading any Spider-man, Fantastic Four, Iron Man, etc. In fact, I am very close to dropping Captain America, but Brubaker is keeping me around for a couple more issues. (If Cap is the new Ronin, I'm out 100% and then it's just DD and Iron Fist for me. Razz)

Anyway, I didn't mean to start a rant about my distaste for Civil War and ruining Cap, just when he became one of my favorite characters. I started this thread to discuss what is going to happen with DD/Matt. Will every issue be plagued with post-Civil-War overtones? (E.g. the way every issue of Bendis's run had DD outing overtones. Only in that case, the overtones were from a DD event written 34567 times better than the overall Marvel U event, Civil War.)

After the open ending to Civil War #7, I get the impression that at least once every other issue, the pages of DD will include some tired story about a hero being prosecuted for not registering, etc., yawn... At the same time, Brubaker's Winter Soldier one-shot was a great read. So, if anyone can do this it is Brubaker...
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Cap is Ronin, cuz in New Avengers 27 Ronin asks alot of novice questions about how Spidey, Wolverine, and others work. And he also says...yo. Cap has never said yo I think.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before Civil War: Being a freelance superhero is illegal.

After Civil War: Being a freelance superhero is illegal.

Yeah, that's some impact.

Note that the ridiculousness of this "impact" is amplified by a power of 1000 for Daredevil fans.

(int. Matt Murdocks Secret Liar)

Foggy: You have to be careful Matt.
Matt: Why?
F: Since the Civil War it's illegal to be a superhero.
M: It's always been illegal to be a superhero.
F: What?
M: Man, cops have been chasing me since the very beginning of my career.
F: Well...
M: I mean, Jesus, I've spent the past three years living in hell because I unmasked myself and the FBI was after me.
F: Um.
M: For being a superhero. They were after me for being a super hero. Where have you been?
F: Well, I just though...
M: I was in jail. I went to jail for being a superhero. Do you know why I missed a bunch of the Civil War?
F: Why?
M: Because I was in jail for being a superhero.
F: But this time SHIELD is involved.
M: Well they were involved when I was arrested.
F: I guess that's true.
M: This is idiotic.
F: Some things are different.
M: Yeah, what?
F: Peter Parker is wearing a black suit again.
M: I guess so. That's true. The whole thing was worth it.
Joey Q: I hate myself.
Matt and Foggy Together: You should.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impact? You want to know the impact of Civil Crap?

I'm buying a lot less Marvel comics, that's what. And, yes, I have picked up some DC stuff.

rgj
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civil War was a fun hero taking on hero book. No "deep" characterizations. No complex storyline. At least, that is what I was looking for in this series and that is exactly what I got out of it.

Only two problem really stuck out for me. Cap's surrender and Tony's villain-assisted team.

Cap is the ultimate strategist. He knows war. He knows that you can't have zero civilian casualties in a war. He knows this basic principle about war. He plans a battle in NYC. It was his team's decision to move the battle the NYC. To bring the battle to Namor's team who waiting to enter the fight. Cap is going to plan this fight and NOT forsee civilian casualties? I guess the "A" is for France afterall. Wink

Bullseye, Venom, Taskmaster, and other murderers are helping Tony's team and cops, firemen, and other non-powered people are simply okay with this. The people have to jump Cap because saving Tony from a beating is the right thing to do. As much as superheroes are split on the Act, the regular people of the MU are split on the Act too. The tie-ins showed this. Especially the Luke Cage NA issue. But no, the people all come to their senses and support Tony and his gang of murderers because this is the right thing to do.

I still like the series. 1,2,3 and 7 carried the weaker 4,5, and 6. I wanted to see heroes smacking heroes around and I got it.

It was really fun. ... mind you, not Infinite Crisis fun. Razz

C.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only ending that would have been any good would have been if Magneto showed up mid-fight, flatten Manhatten again like he did in Planet X and then said "that's what I think of your registration act" and flew off.

Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
Impact? You want to know the impact of Civil Crap?

I'm buying a lot less Marvel comics, that's what. And, yes, I have picked up some DC stuff.

rgj

Very Happy

I'm telling you:
Justice Society of America (new vol, #1-3)
Green Lantern (start by picking up GL: Rebirth)
Meador
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the beginning of Civil War my pull list was about 80% Marvel, 20 % DC. I didn't really consciously make the decision to switch but now reading these posts I realize my list is now 50/50 and I plan on stopping three more Marvel comics this month. Which will make more DC titles, never thought I'd be at this place.

I liked the idea of Civil War when it first came out, but man, it left me with a bitter taste in my mouth.

I agree with Forest, one of my favorite titles right now is Green Lantern.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...bit of a tangent:

Also, I must recommend Brave and the Bold #1. It's the first part in a Batman/Hal Jordan team up and I LOVED it! It is jam packed with that entertaining old school comic feel, one of my favorite Bruce Wayne moments, etc. It's the perfect anti-empty-hype comic to combat those Civil War blues. Razz
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that there are some DC jumpers around here -

SAVE MANHUNTER! Cool

C.

ps - I might be pegged as a DCer, but my one true love is DD!

I also love the new Iron Fist, Criminal, and Punisher: WJ. But DC sure get most of my money.

C.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
Now that there are some DC jumpers around here -

SAVE MANHUNTER! Cool

C.

ps - I might be pegged as a DCer, but my one true love is DD!

I also love the new Iron Fist, Criminal, and Punisher: WJ. But DC sure get most of my money.

C.

Save Manhunter!?!

Let's assess, shall we?

Red body suit - CHECK!

Lawyer by Day - CHECK!

Fights with a stick - CHECK!

She's Daredevil with breasts.

Not to mention the gratuitous gay scenes that don't advance or play any part in the story whatsoever! This book should have been cancelled long before now.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:

Not to mention the gratuitous gay scenes that don't advance or play any part in the story whatsoever! This book should have been cancelled long before now.

Gay people exist, why wouldn't comics have scenes featuring gay characters being gay?

Why aren't you laughing?
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:
This book should have been cancelled long before now.

Manhunter Lives Again!!! The series just got revived again for the second time now (just announced at the DC NY Panel). If you're not on this already, go and check out the first trade. DD fans are missing a great book.

Kate Spencer. Superhero. Smoker. Divorced mother with a child. Lawyer. Currently defending Wonder Woman. Read it!

C.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:

Gay people exist, why wouldn't comics have scenes featuring gay characters being gay?

Because it doesn't advance the story... and because the title of the book isn't "Two random 'Moes knocking boots". I've made similar arguments in the past to gratuitous sex scenes that don't enhance plot in other comics - the fact that they're gay has nothing to do with it.

The book is structured in such a way that Kate will be off solving a mystery or handing some bad guy his ass... and then the scene will cut away to two dudes nailing each other. Completely inane. The comic is a turd.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:
james castle wrote:

Because it doesn't advance the story... and because the title of the book isn't "Two random 'Moes knocking boots". I've made similar arguments in the past to gratuitous sex scenes that don't enhance plot in other comics - the fact that they're gay has nothing to do with it.

The book is structured in such a way that Kate will be off solving a mystery or handing some bad guy his ass... and then the scene will cut away to two dudes nailing each other. Completely inane. The comic is a turd.

Then why did you say you didn't like the "gratuitous gay scenes" instead of saying you didn't like the "gratuitous sex scenes"?

On a broader note every comic, movie, tv show, book or whatever contains "gratuitus" scenes that don't "advance the plot". But they do other things. For example "gratuitus" scenes can be used to set the tone of a story or a book which is just as important as advancing the plot.

In this case it sounds like whoever is writing Manhunter (what with the single momness and the gayness) is trying to set a fairly progressive tone. Which, in comics, is a rare and good thing.

Why aren't you laughing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: