Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Problems with Bru's DD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the truebeliever
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
I wasn't going to post on this topic, but since it hasn't died I thought maybe I should. First, yes, 666's points are valid, namely the:

1) DD should have known it was Danny Rand in the costume, blocks before he got to him and
2) the wearing of the costume in Europe.

These were two observations I mentioned during the Current Issue of DD Review threads.

But, I guess you guys weren't paying attention because Bru actually commented on these things (among other things, like a closed casket at a funeral). Bru mentioned that sometimes writers have to eschew logic (like Matt chosing to wear the costume in Europe) in order to move a story along, but they never try to compromise the story.

Ultimately, I can forgive these lapses in logic because the stories were very good.

Still, yes, these lapses in story logic can be very distracting. For instance, if you had a story where the Chameleon was posing as a friend of Peter's, yet his spider sense didn't go off throughout the story and then the writer said it was omitted just so he could have a real boss story, well, that would take away from the story. This is kind of what happened with Matt not recognizing Danny. Sure, Bru can claim that his senses were "distracted." But, that would be rubbish. If Matt could concetrate enough to find Danny he should be able to identify him. But, as I said, I can look the other way because the story arc was good. Maybe not great, anymore, but still very good.

I can agree to disagree with Brubaker regarding some of the details. But, I can also agree that, so far, Bru has done a wonderful job on DAREDEVIL.

RGJ

Thank you for stating what I was thinking.
spacehopper
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with Bru's DD Reply with quote

brnsch666 wrote:
This is my first post. Sorry it isn't on a positive note, I just need to get something off my chest. Brubakers DD isn't doing it for me. How come DD couldn't immediatly tell he was confronting Iron Fist in 87? It is eluded to that Matt doesn't want DD to be seen in Europe, yet he wears the costume there. He could have just worn a black suit or something. Everyone just seems to eat Brubakers stuff up, I just don't seem to be enjoying it as much as the hype said I should. Punisher's role was just a ridiculous plot devise, Matt was out of character teaming with him the way he did. It can be said that prison changed Matt, but he wasn't even there that long. This makes me miss Bendis on DD.

I'm glad someone finally said it. I've been trailing these boards for a while but haven't really commited to writing a post - mostly because the majority of opinions on here inregards to Bendis's and Bru run are at odds with my own. I started reading daredevil in my early teens (12 or 13) DD was my fav character, never the less quit them for about ten years, but started reading vertigo books about 2 yrs ago. I heard through the gripevine of some of the stuff Bendis was upto with DD - by this time the last issue of Decalogue had come out. now for me, someone who pretty much read the Bendis run in one go, Bru stuff is a joke (I hate to be negative), DD under Bendis had much more characterisation and reason! the plot holes in Bru stuff are shocking (Matt not knowing he was fighting Iron fist, not know foggy was not in the coffin at the funeral) and I find some of his work just plain lazy - take how he disposed of the kingpin, and the whole killing foggy thing was weak. besides the initial prison issue I've been dispointed with all every one of the books in Bru run, whereas I loved all of Bendis's work. I get the feeling the most people here prefer Bru but each to their own....
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Problems with Bru's DD Reply with quote

spacehopper wrote:
... whereas I loved all of Bendis's work. I get the feeling the most people here prefer Bru but each to their own....

Personally I think its much too early to judge Bru on his DD work, whereas Bendis/Maleev have the whole body of work behind them now. Bendis/Maleev were stellar, made a lasting impression, made the book their own. They've had plenty of plaudits around these parts, yet won't be properly appreciated until years from now.

Bru has made a fairly decent start. That's all. Oh, and Becky is back. Which is genius.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, in the interest of full disclosure, I should let it be known that I am a huge fan of Bendis' DD. I found it gripping and intense (which is a characteristic that I very much appreciate). I don't have a problem with going an issue or 2 without seeing the costume and there were few continuity problems that bothered me anymore than what I find with most of the comic writers that I have been exposed to (which might be an indictment of my limited exposure).
Having said this, I am enjoying Brubaker's run, just not as much. I realize it is still relatively early in his run, certainly when compared to Bendis', but the difference for me, mainly, is my emotional reaction to the stories, with the exception of the Prison arc. You can't beat a good, violent, prison story. Smile
Bru's characterizations seem 'spot on' and the pacing is brisk without feeling rushed. There have been some logic gaffes but, as has been mentioned before, these can be seen as minor (to me anyway) flaws necessary to appeal to the audience. I'm referring to things such as DD wearing the costume in Europe, using the Mike Murdock identity, etc. These tend to be things that, so far, I can accept. I was bothered by Matt not recognizing Iron Fist, but oh well.
Anyway, the bottom line, for me, is that he is a good writer producing quality work that I find entertaining. Heck, it made me go back and get his Captain America trades to get caught up. And then they went and KILLED him! Mad But at least it was a great story.

One last thing, check out Sleeper.
EightiesCartoon
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
I agree. In fact, it's sort of stupid for DD to wear a costume at all. How would a bright red costume actually help him fighting crime? Surely a simple black costume makes more sense. Even if he did have a red costume, why in the world would he take the time to actually fashion little horns? What are they made of? Plastic? Where did he get the mold and the plastic to make such perfect little horns? More importantly why would he bother? Speaking of which, why would he bother putting the "DD" on his chest? Again, how does he even do that in the first place? Does he have some kind of silkscreening set up in his place? Don't people think it's weird that a blind guy has an interest in silk screening? Where does he get boots that match his pants?

Bru clearly sucks.

This is hilarious!
G'day brnsch666 and welcome to the board.
Just so you know, the above is 'Castleism' for 'Welcome to the board.'
You have every right to express your opinion, if Bru isn't doing it for you then thats how you feel.
djsweet
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Castle wouldn't ever give two **** abot MM keeping his sanity. He only cares about his war. The only reason he would ever go into prison would be to kill somebody. Bru took 12 issues to reset the clock so he could tell standard DD stories. And he did it in an unimpressive fashion. IMO Bru is a boring scripter, a very unlyrical writer that would be a great newspaper reporter. It is clear that Fracton scripts Iron Fist.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Speaking of which, why would he bother putting the "DD" on his chest?

And how else are we supposed to distinguish him from Thor?
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Quote:
Speaking of which, why would he bother putting the "DD" on his chest?

And how else are we supposed to distinguish him from Thor?

touche.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Jim B.
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I'm really enjoying Brubaker's take on Daredevil, yes it's not perfect but neither was Bendis's version either. I was not a big fan of the Bendis stories and actually quit the comic at #50. I've since picked up a couple of the trades like The Widow, Golden Age and The Murdock Papers. I admire that Bendis tried to do something different with DD but IMO it just never went anywhere and it went on forever and ever without any resolution. I mean he quit the comic and someone else had to try and resolve the Outing of DD story. After 5 to 6 years he still wasn't done with it. Way too long if you ask me. In issue #93 it seems like Brubaker is tying everything up really fast but I was okay with that because I just wanted this Secret identity story of Bendis's thing to go away already.

I've always loved the era of DD from 1980 to 1991 and I will always see those years as the best of DD's comic existance and Brubaker seems to bring back the feeling of those days that hasn't been seen, well since those days. I also think Lark brings back the acrobatic graceful looking DD that hasn't been drawn since Mazzuchelli and Lee Weeks. I love that version of Daredevil, the one who would just dive off a building without even looking first (no pun intended) to sense what was below him.

I haven't enjoyed this comic so much since Ann Nocenti wrote it and that's saying a lot. I have to say I love his Captain America work too, it's great stuff. The Winter Soldier story was amazing.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim B. wrote:
I was not a big fan of the Bendis stories and actually quit the comic at #50. I've since picked up a couple of the trades like The Widow, Golden Age and The Murdock Papers. I admire that Bendis tried to do something different with DD but IMO it just never went anywhere and it went on forever and ever without any resolution.

Amen! Very Happy

I too love Brubaker's Cap America. Issue #26 is going to be intense!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Jim B. wrote:
I was not a big fan of the Bendis stories and actually quit the comic at #50. I've since picked up a couple of the trades like The Widow, Golden Age and The Murdock Papers. I admire that Bendis tried to do something different with DD but IMO it just never went anywhere and it went on forever and ever without any resolution.

Amen! Very Happy

I too love Brubaker's Cap America. Issue #26 is going to be intense!

Amen and hallelujah! We've got a little club here!
Jim B.
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dimetre, I remember back in the day (on the old message board) that you we're not too happy with Bendis's DD too. I think we we're the only ones and maybe a couple of others who are long gone from here now.

Forrest: I did not get to read Cap 25 yet, how was it? I don't feel like paying 20 or 30 bucks for it on Ebay so I am going to wait and get the director's cut (now they have Director's cut's of comics? man that's lame..) of it in July. I saw the cover (#27 I think?) with the Winter Soldier with Cap's shield and that has got me very excited to see what that's all about. Bucky as the Winter Soldier is a great character and I like how they brought him back. DC could learn something on how to bring a long lost dead character back to life from this especially
with all of their lame resurections they've had lately (Hal Jorden, Green Arrow and Jason Todd instantly come to mind)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: