Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil #94 (Spoilers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Grade DD #94
A+
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
A
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
A-
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
B+
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
B
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
B-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
C+
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
C
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
C-
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
F
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally read the issue.

Let me preface this by saying I've never been a Milla fan. She always came across as some superfical plot device for Bendis, with absolutely no character development (other than she likes walking around in sexy undies and getting into predicaments--sometimes while wearing said undies). Oh, and what a cliffhanger babe this is (ie. Bulls stalking Milla; "Please help me find MY HUSBAND"). What a (transparent) cliffhanger gold mine she is!

Having said that, and understanding right off the bat that this was also a recap issue, I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the story. In one issue, Bru breathed some real life and depth to her character. Of course, I still don't like her, sorry to say. But, Bru did, in one issue, more for Milla than Bendis ever did.

I really enjoyed Bru's narrative. Milla's thoughts about "Or are you just putting my heart in danger" and her rumination "I suppose we're all second choices somehow" (as compared to Karen) are powerfully insightful. Yet, Milla's humbling acceptance of the notion of being a second choice, really conveys to the reader how much she loves Matt. Her pride be damned, Matt is more important. Good stuff by Bru, here.

I do agree with fox limbo regarding his two "grating" comments, especially the Bullseye omission. Still, this was a wonderful story. A- all the way. Well, I did contemplate a B+, but what the hell, to the devil, his due.

Oh, yeah, and the art was fantastic! Love Lee Weeks!
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Belated answer Reply with quote

MercifulAvatar wrote:
A question for those of you more familiar with Bru's work: is this something he's done in other titles?

A belated answer to your question. The Brubaker series I am familiar with are Sleeper, Catwoman, Captain American, Daredevil and Criminal. Sleeper and Catwoman I'm only familiar with in trade paperback format. Catwoman did have fill-in artists, and the story did change pace with the artist switch, with fascinating effects. The story, which can be found at the end of the "Relentless" trade, is broken up into chapters, each one narrated by a different member of the cast of characters. We really get inside each characters head. "Relentless" covers Brubaker's peak on the Catwoman title.

In Captain America #7, Steve Epting got a break, and John Paul Leon filled in. The entire issue is narrated by Jack Monroe, and covers the last year of his life. It is very similar to the Daredevil issues you're referring too, but Cap #7 is absolutely devastating in a way those Daredevil issues aren't. Lee Weeks filled in for Epting on Captain American #10, which is a tie-in for House of M. It's a very good "What If Captain America wasn't frozen in an iceberg and Bucky had freed himself from the missile?" Unfortunately it broke the flow of the Winter Soldier arc.

Anyway, outside of Sleeper and Criminal where Sean Phillips draws 100% of the issues, it does appear to be a smart strategy of Brubaker to give the artist a break after an arc or two, and possibly to recharge his own batteries. It's working for him.

But anybody who is enjoying Brubaker's Daredevil, I strongly recommend checking out his Catwoman work, particularly the "Relentless" trade and his Captain America work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: