Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

What are you picking up? March 7th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: What are you picking up? March 7th Reply with quote

I'm hijacking this one again because I have a case of the Mondays. (This can happen a lot when you work at a fishtailing venture capital company.) When I have a case of the Mondays, listing the comics I will pick up in two days is soothing. Very Happy

52 #44 - This comic is the solution to everything that is wrong with modern mainstream comics (excessive hype, delays, hype, empty storylines, empty characters, empty hype, etc.).

Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius Vol. 1 - I am so happy to see this! Judd Winick is always one of my favorites (unless he's revamping the Marvel family in a dull Harry Potter wanna be mini Razz).

Justice League of America #6 - Meltzer and Benes and I could not be more happy.

Manhunter #29 - So far, this arc has been my favorite Manhunter, yet. Glad to hear it's not canceled.

Nightwing #130 - Wolfman on Nightwing just feels so right! Razz

SHAZAM: The Monster Society of Evil #2 - I never read Bone, but after issue #1 of this mini, I am convinced that Jeff Smith is an absolute genius! Cool

Uncanny X-Men #484 - Fun little X-Men story but after this arc I think I'll call my 12 issue run all the Uncanny I really need in my collection.
the truebeliever
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain America #25: This series is great. Ed Brubaker made a character that never really appealed to me into a character that you can't pass up.

Criminal #5: I love crime stories and this series is the definitive of crime comics at the moment, even when it's only 5 issues in.

Justice League of America #6: This series is the second best series being released from DC at the moment. If it wasn't for Justice Society of America this would be the best from DC.

Mighty Avengers #1: Ares on a superhero team. 'nuff said.

Uncanny X-Men #484: This arc has had its ups and downs but I'm sure we're going to get a good few good issues before the end of the arc.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the truebeliever wrote:
Justice League of America #6: This series is the second best series being released from DC at the moment. If it wasn't for Justice Society of America this would be the best from DC.

Justice Society of America has been absolutely AMAZING! Glad you like it, too!
Doug
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #2 Never read any of the novels, but i'm liking it so far. Plus I love Jae Lee's art.

Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness #1 Ash against the super zombies. Got to love it!
MercifulAvatar
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dark Tower #2: I started reading these books when I was making my living riding horses. They are like family to me. I was very pleased with #1 and added the series to my pull list. Very true to the mythos and heart of the novels.

That's it for new stuff, but I have fifty bucks worth of back issues coming from mycomicshop.com (including 21 issues of Daredevil, some Hellblazer and the original Kabuki one-shot from 1994) which should arrive this week.

In all honesty, though, I doubt I leave my LCS with one issue in my hand. May pick up the second Planetary trade, come to think of it...
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ex Machina Vol. 5.. I actually didn't know this was coming out so soon. I love when new trades sneak up on me.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does $160 Cdn. equal $100 US? Mad This is a disgusting exchange rate for the DD Omnibus. Hope my shop can do better than my standard 20% off on this one. Sad

C.
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
How does $160 Cdn. equal $100 US? Mad This is a disgusting exchange rate for the DD Omnibus. Hope my shop can do better than my standard 20% off on this one. Sad

C.

Amazon.ca has it for $100 CDN, with free shipping.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa!, Clayton, where are you buying this omnibus?? Like KM posted, I have mine on order from Amazon, $63 American and free shipping.

You know, these omni's are starting to come out one after another. I have the X-Men and now they are soliciting Amazing Spiderman and Silver Surfer. They also have two volumes of FF. You know, I know that most of these are kind of kiddie books since they were written by Stan Lee, but I may just get them so I can read these to my son as he gets older. Since, current comics are sometimes not for children. But, he can get some enjoyment from these old tales.

Seriously, I think it would be a great idea if Marvel just put out entire runs on these omni's. I'd love to have all of the DD's in omni format. And, I'd probably get all kinds of stuff if they made it in omni format. What a library of classic comics!

rgj
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40% off and no taxes. I paid $96 Cdn. straight up. I love my shop! Very Happy

C.
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I picked up this week.

USM #106 - It's hard to believe I picked up my first issue of this series when it was in single digits. It's been the best book and the worst book on my pull list. The point is I'm still reading.

Detective #829 - I've enjoyed the Dini issues while I was gone. I think I'll stick with reading Batman and Detective going forward.

Midnighter #5 - Another series I've enjoyed since I've been away. The first issue set a pretty high bar and the series has followed through about as well as could be expected.

Mighty Avengers #1 - Another Avengers series by Bendis? The other one wandered to its detriment. I'm going to give this one a chance. (side note: Ares? I'm intrigued. Even taking the Bendis-Oeming connection into consideration.) But it's not going to get an extra long leash.

Civil War : The Initiative - The outro to Civil War. A don't have anything else to say.

Captain America #25 - I got a heads up from the guy at my LCS on this one. If you don't know what he was tipping me off to, I won't be the one to tell you. Also got the variant cover.
The Privateer
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDmikeMN wrote:
Captain America #25 - I got a heads up from the guy at my LCS on this one. If you don't know what he was tipping me off to, I won't be the one to tell you. Also got the variant cover.
I kind of sleepily bumbled into all the spoilers on Newsarama. I am in a real bad mood over this, totally geeky fan-boy gutted. I've been miserable all morning.

Anyway, I'll be picking up the following:

52 WEEK #44 - Enjoying this, want to see Black Adam do some killing now! And I just want Renee.

AUTHORITY #2 - Never read any Authority before, got #1 and it didn't mean anything, will continue with this.

DETECTIVE COMICS #829 - Loving Dini's work on this, think that this is a fill in 2 parter though.

JONAH HEX #17 - Not read #16 yet, but like the title.

LOVELESS #16 (MR) - Enjoying this more, a real slow burner, but deliciously dark and twisted.

MIDNIGHTER #5 - Enjoying this, Ennis writes this with ease.

SCALPED #3 (MR) - New title, enjoyed first two issues, want to see what happens with the story.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #25 CW - Was looking forward to this, but ahem, I'm saying nothing. Thanks to DDMike for the heads-up on the variant cover.

CIVIL WAR INITIATIVE - Not sure what this is, will have a look at it. I was enjoying CW right up till #7, so not sure if I will waste anymore money on it.

CRIMINAL #5 (MR) - Enjoying this, love noir, I'm on for the duration. (I wonder if this book has helped to get "Out of the Past" or Build my gallows high a UK DVD release?)

DARK TOWER GUNSLINGER BORN #2 (OF 7) - Never read the novels, but #1 was enough to put them on my radar, enjoyed the first, on for the ride with this mini.

NEWUNIVERSAL #4 - ******* Best Book Alert******** This is the best book that I have read in a long while. It really grabbed me and hasn't let up yet. Amazing story, highly recommended, Top notch Ellis writing. Had a cracking dream about this as well!

PUNISHER #45 (MR) - Great story, well planned, want to see where it is going. Love the Punisher.

SQUADRON SUPREME HYPERION VS NIGHTHAWK #3 (OF 4) - Not sure after #1. but enjoyed #2, will finish. Enjoy the nasty twisted character, and that's just the good guys!

JAN073490 TEMPLAR #1 $2.95 - No idea what this is, will have a look if its in.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Privateer wrote:
DDmikeMN wrote:
I kind of sleepily bumbled into all the spoilers on Newsarama. I am in a real bad mood over this, totally geeky fan-boy gutted. I've been miserable all morning.

Yeah, I felt like crap, all day yesterday! Heck, even today is a bit off. I never knew a %#@$&* comic book could make me feel like that! Crazy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: