Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Bought / Thought 3-7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDmikeMN
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Bought / Thought 3-7 Reply with quote

Hey, everyone. I'm back. I started a new job and the last four months have been the four months for which they pay you the rest of the year. But now that's passed and I'm back.

Does anyone object if I take this responsibility back?

EDIT: Oh, yeah. Lots of comics to read this week. I'll stick my reviews up soon.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear from you, DDmike!

Captain America #25 - After CW #7, I decided I am pretty much done with Marvel. I dropped all of it, except DD (obviously) and the remainders of Whedon's Astonishing and Brubaker's current Uncanny arc. Captain America #25 doesn't change that.

Yesterday morning, there it was: a headline story on Yahoo! News about Cap #25! Likewise, I heard that this story was covered by CNN, FOX, etc. Marvel's PR had done a worldclass job with this one. I didn't even know that comics could demand this kind of media attention! Now, that I had heard what happened and seen that Marvel's PR was playing hardball, I thought I'd give Brubaker a chance and pick up this issue, when I got off work.

The issue was far better than I thought it would be and this coming from a huge Brubaker fan! The man is a genius! (Not to mention the art was just haunting!) I read this thing twice and flipped through it again at least twice, yesterday. The issue really made the news coverage sink in and gave me the most surreal comic experience ever... it's a weird feeling.

I'm still essentially done with Marvel and future Captain America stories of any kind. It's still DD-only for me. Only now, it's not entirely because of a poorly written, overly hyped summer events rampant with mischaracterization; it is also because of tragic events layed out by one of the greatest writers in comics, the writer who made Captain America go from a cheesy joke to my second favorite Marvel character, in about a dozen issues. Another dozen issues of Cap and here we are. Some might say there are more Cap stories to be told and that may be true in some sense. Personally, I don't have the heart for it. If it had to be this way, there is no one else I'd rather have read it from than Brubaker.

Now, everything else. Razz

JLA #6 - WOW! Some people complained about Meltzer's pacing in this arc. Oddly, I didn't mind at all because I knew that it was all leading up for an absolutely amazing issue, like this one!

52 #44 - After Johns JSA, Black Adam became one of my favorite villains ever because the readers really understood the villain and could sympathize with him. This issue made me feel really bad for Black Adam. ...WWIII is going to be insane! Cool

Manhunter #29 - Ah, I knew the Blue Beatle reveal was coming but I hoped it wouldn't have been. Althought, the rooftop scene was classic. That and I love it when Manhunter gets to play in the big kids sandbox.

Haven't read Uncanny, Shazam #2 and Nightwing, yet because I can't get Cap #25 out of my head. Razz Seriously, I'll miss that book a lot! Good times.
MercifulAvatar
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
...because I can't get Cap #25 out of my head. Razz Seriously, I'll miss that book a lot!

Well, against all better judgment, it looks like I'm going to have to pick up Cap #25. I hate doing it. It just encourages Marvel... Confused
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain America #25 - Jarring story, typically brilliant (if heavily referenced) art. The exact same recipe as Civil War, whaddya know? The result is the same: killer comic. One gets praise, the other gets lambasted. I suppose 'out-of-character' is alright, so long as Grant Morrison writes i-- sorry, ranting...

Nightwing #130 - Good, but still not great. It's much, much better than the insipid Bruce Jones rubbish, and the art is at least pencilled and inked well... even if DC colorists tend to bite the big one and it ends up looking like a bag of Skittles exploded on the page in the end. Not a fan of Dick in New York (anyone else think that just makes him Daredevil?) but Wolfman seems to be introducing some alright villains. Even so, I miss Blüdhaven.

Daredevil Frank Miller Omnibus - Jesus CHRIST, but this thing is titties! It collects a ton of extra stuff, including that accursed Daredevil chronicles book that is a pain to find, and contains a HUGE interview with Klaus Janson and Frank Miller. Get the variant cover, it looks way better. Red and black, the way it should be.

Star Wars: Legacy #9 - GREAT issue. All the Star Wars titles rock hard, at present, and Legacy's leading the pack. C'mon, Luke Skywalker's great great great great great grandson is a Drugee, just so he can suppress his 'visions' of Luke, trying to tell him to straighten up and fulfill his destiny? That's pretty wicked stuff.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acerbus wrote:
Captain America #25 - Jarring story, typically brilliant (if heavily referenced) art. The exact same recipe as Civil War, whaddya know? The result is the same: killer comic. One gets praise, the other gets lambasted.

I have to disagree. Before work, I just reread #22-#24 and the lead in to this still feels like story before hype and logical storytelling before reckless fill-in-the-blank-to-get-to-the-big-event writing. Just in case anyone who hated Civil War is thinking of passing on Cap #25, I must say that I donn't think the creative force or motives behind this shared almost anything in common with Millar's Civil War. (Not a bash on you or your opinion, Acerbus but I just wanted to bring in my response to others.)

Furthermore, if you can find them, reading #22-24 prior to reading #25 really sets the thing up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: