Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daredevil by Frank Miller Omnibus Companion
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isaac
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Daredevil by Frank Miller Omnibus Companion Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Daredevil-Miller-Omnibus-Companion-Market/dp/0785126767/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/104-4298743-1079119?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173610048&sr=8-2

I'm sick of Miller. Who has not read this stuff already? Nocenti Omnibus, please. And Brubaker HC...
MercifulAvatar
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree there's a perception that Miller is the only good writer that ever worked on Daredevil, I could wait 'til the cows come home on a Nocenti Omnibus.

I'm re-reading her run now and I find myself struggling just to finish some issues. She's obviously a talented, hard-working writer, but I wonder: what do you (and anyone else who cares to comment) like about her DD work?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there were better Daredevil writers than Nocenti, but I can see why many here respect her so much.

She didn't just trot out Bullseye, Kingpin, Stilt-Man, Gladiator et al over and over again. She created exciting new villains like Typhoid, Bullet, Bushwhacker and Ammo. Karen Page was a stronger character than she had ever been under her pen. Nocenti was an author who had something to say; There was a message to receive with every issue. At times, for me, that approached preachiness.

I think the finest work I've ever read by Nocenti was outside her Daredevil work. I was very impressed with her Typhoid mini-series drawn by Jo Van Fleet. I think Typhoid brings the best out of her. As far as I know it's never been collected as a trade, but you should find it in the back issue bins, and it shouldn't cost too much.

Me, personally, I would love to see Denny O'Neil's work better collected. There is only a smattering of issues collected in Love's Labour Lost. His Micah Synn story was great, but was originally published in every other issue of Daredevil. Miller, O'Neil and Brubaker are probably my favourite Daredevil writers of all time.
Isaac
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really never have thought about O'Neil being one of the big Daredevil writers... O'Neil's Daredevil was superficial pulp fiction, everything was just bidimensional. Micah Sinn was just some kind of poor relative of Kraven the Hunter, ridiculous character I've never liked, and his arc was far too long (12 issues, as far I can tell). It is surely not the worst: the worst should be, by far, his take on Bullseye. Adamantium bones. Few numbers after "Roulette" (For me the best single number in the whole Miller's run). It was so cheap like Elektra nowadays... I can't see any remarkable thing in all his run. Well, it was not BAD, what's a miracle in the House of Ideas, but Miller had set certain standards. In fact, I think that Miller being a myth nowadays has something to do with he being followed by such a long dull O'Neil's run.
If it had been Miller-Nocenti or Miller-Chichester, maybe his shadow wouldn't be so long, and we would have had something else but only a Bullseye-Kingpin-Bullseye sucession.
The only good thing about him i can think about is that he divorced Foggy... Has someone noticed how old Foggy used to be with moustache? And then Maleev made him look like he was in his late 20's...
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaac wrote:
I'm sick of Miller. Who has not read this stuff already? Nocenti Omnibus, please. And Brubaker HC...

Yeah, who in their right mind would want to re-read Born Again in a hardbound, oversized, newly printed format?? Anyone who would want that is a sucker! Rolling Eyes

rgj

A Nocienti Omni would be amazing. But, like it or not, she's not going to get it before Miller. And, she'll only get it if these Miller omni's are succesful.

Seriously, they should just put the entire DD run on omni's. I'd buy the whole thing.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Daredevil by Frank Miller Omnibus Companion Reply with quote

Isaac wrote:

Very Happy

Amen!
the truebeliever
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your points. I did love the Miller Daredevil run because I'm a Miller fan. Now I do believe that he is overhyped a little for the Daredevil run. I would rather take his work on Sin City (one of my favorite series) over his run on Daredevil just about anyday. If I had to see an omnibus of one of the writers on Daredevil after this Frank Miller one for the 1st series, I would choose D.G. Chichester. He finished off what Miller started with including the fall of the Kingpin. And I liked his run. Well, that's just my opinion.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly there's no way on earth that there will ever be a Nocenti or Chichester omnibus. Neither of them are anywhere near well known enough to justify it.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaac wrote:
If it had been Miller-Nocenti or Miller-Chichester, maybe his shadow wouldn't be so long, and we would have had something else but only a Bullseye-Kingpin-Bullseye sucession.

To each his own, I guess. I notice a lot of people on this board rave about Chichester, and I didn't enjoy anything he did after Last Rites. In fact much of his stuff I consider the worst Daredevil ever. (I've never read Flying Blind though.)

I first discovered Daredevil when O'Neil was on the book. I don't understand what anybody would have against him though. Daredevil approaching the level of "pulp fiction" when O'Neil was writing him? This is a comic book, you know. Miller's initial Daredevil was pulp fiction, it was just excellent pulp fiction. But there was a lot I loved about O'Neil's run. I loved how conflicted Matt was about Glorianna working with the IRA. The scene where he was waiting for Glorianna to return to her apartment and he repeatedly asked, "Where is she?" was a work of masterful timing, unusual for a comic book at the time. The issue where the Beyonder gives Matt back his sight is an undeniable classic. The Japanese girl who helps Daredevil find Dark Wind, who was repairing Bullseye's skeleton, was likely an inspiration for David Mack's Kabuki. Debbie running off with Micah Synn incited bad feelings toward a character who was handled sympathetically before. Yep, a lot of O'Neil's stuff remains my favourite Daredevil work of all time. But those who immediately follow Miller -- O'Neil and Nocenti-- seem to get lost in his shadow. I can't deny, however, that Miller's Daredevil is definitive.

Last Rites has already once been collected as a trade, and is now out of print. I wouldn't mind if they republished it. I probably wouldn't buy it since I have the back issues, and I have zero desire to revisit the rest of Chichester's run. I think it's awful, awful stuff. He screwed up the character. The Jack Batlin era was Daredevil at his worst. There was hardly any flow from issue to issue, and it smelled like a desperate stunt to generate some interest in the character simply through a redesign, a misbegotten one. I like DeMatteis considerably more than a lot of others on this board, simply because he put an end to that. No love lost for Chichester.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chichester's Daredevil was a turd. At best it was attempting to cash in on the 'dark' Image garbage from the early 90's. Daredevil fighting a great big demon in 'Fall from Grace' sounds more like Spawn than a killer noir-ish crime comic. I do have a guilty weakness for the black DD costume, but the writing (and, in my opinion, bad art by Scott McDaniel) made Daredevil nigh-unreadable for nearly the entirety of the 90's. Had it not been for Chichester's early work on the book with Lee Weeks, I'd say his whole run was a loss.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, Fall from Grace. The story in which DD fought a great big demon. How is that what you remember from Fall From Grace? First off, the whole voodoo demon angle wasn't exactly made up by Chichester. DD had fought voodoo bad guys before. Secondly, the demon was a fairly small part of Fall from Grace (a fairly large part of the twist ending but a fairly small part of the over all plot).

Chichester was great on DD. Last Rites was great. As far as I'm concerned it was one of the better DD/Kingpin stories that's been told in recent memory. As for Fall from Grace and the black costume, etc., Chichester openly says that he was trying to boast DD's profile. I feel like some people on this board weren't reading DD in the 90s. He was b-list like crazy (hence Ghost Rider and Wolverine showing up every third issue). I remember when the Fall from Grace prologue sold out and I was stunned. At least Chichester was trying to make DD something better.

If you want to see what really bad DD writing is go re-read Guardian Devil.

Why aren't you laughing?
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Rites was great. In fact Chicester's early set of issues up until Last Rites was great. #300 itself was one of the best DD issues ever written.

But as for the rest...from #301 onward until the last Chicester issue, you can count the good stuff on one hand, easy easy the worst run of issues in the history of the book (and that says something when you think Gerry Conway once held the reigns). I mean who's the guy who said it was a turd? Give him a medal. Spot on.

I think I remember #305 being a pretty good read. And....that's about it. The worst time to be a DD fan, actually quite painful picking up the book each month to see it plummet to new depths.

As for being 'impressed' by over hyped issues 'selling out', big deal. This was the early 1990's. The speculators market that any comic book retailer will tell you nearly killed the industry was at its height, MaCfarline had sold something like 3 billion copies of his Spiderman #1, because speculators snapped up every foil imbossed, alternate cover, glow in the dark crap they could lay their hands on, hoping to sell them on for quick profit. Daredevil #319, and Fall from Grace for that matter, was just another small cog in this vast speculators market that had seen retailers, comic book companies, and not a few fans, get rather silly when it comes to money. Crap.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I barely remember Fall from Grace being hyped at all. It was the 90s and it was X-Men everytime, all the time. 319 sold out of quickly partly because of whatever hype there was but also because the cover was breath taking. It's simply an amazing image and I'm shocked that anyone walked into a comic shop without buying a copy.

Fall from Grace wasn't perfect and it has it's problems but it at least an attempt at something great. For my money it didn't fall too far off the mark.

And it was no where near the worst DD ever. The Kessel run was a sad throw back. Flying Blind was ridiculous and horrid. Playing to the Camera was a blight on all that is the comic industry. DeMattis' nonsense was just that.

For all it's faults Fall from Grace is light year beyond Guardian Devil in terms of story telling and characterization.

Why aren't you laughing?
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
I barely remember Fall from Grace being hyped at all. It was the 90s and it was X-Men everytime, all the time. 319 sold out of quickly partly because of whatever hype there was but also because the cover was breath taking. It's simply an amazing image and I'm shocked that anyone walked into a comic shop without buying a copy.

Nonsense. Starting in about 1990 with MacFarlanes Spiderman #1, Marvel fed the growing speculator market with any and every excuse of 'An Event' to garner sales. The above comic sold tons, not all down to any artistic merit or 'worth', but due to the myriad variants, eg a 'platinum' variant with a 'supposed' limited print run of 10,000. Rumours spread of a printing error on initial copies where the Lizard gets printed blue not green by mistake for the first three pages or so, so speculators go hunting for that. Then everyone's told that hunting for these rarities is impossible because opening the sealed bags intantly reduces the value of the comic. Then its heard that some of the many variants have bags that are not acid-free and the comics will deteriorate quicker than a normal 'non baged' copy. The result is sales of something like 2.5 million.

Marvel throw a party and decide that whats needed are more 'Events'. Meaning if a book reaches double figures it warrants slaping a foil cover on it. Or a hologram cover. Or an embossed cover. Or a mirror finish. Even glow in the dark.

Who cares what the actual story content is? Lets have An Event and do something 'original'. The speculators out there will snap up ten copies each and sell it on for a nice quick profit.

Of course the job of a comic book company is to make money. Even Miller said that his job entailed getting people to 'buy the next one'. But in the early 1990's, the speculators market, fed by Marvel intoxicated by its sales figures, was a silly thing in the long term, as people buying this stuff droped their regular titles in order to buy multiple things like DD#319, a title they might not even care for.

Everything is created in a context, and 'Fall From Grace' has its context smack dab in the middle of all this silliness, a supposed great 'Event' , with its 'prologues' and returns of Elektra, and its 'glow in the dark covers. But like all the crap floating about, it was short term silliness that led nowhere. A new identity. A stupid armoured costume. Tree of Knowledge. Humanitys Fathom. How quickly it's 'greatness' evapourates.

Most people who defend this turd of a time to be a DD fan, acknowledge some of its faults but defend it on the grounds of originality and attempting to be different. I dunno, maybe this was around their 'starting point' of being a DD fan or something, thus accompanied by an understandable dose of nostalga . But that doesn't mean the context it was concieved is any different.

Anyway, whats 'original' about bringing back Elektra anyway. Anyone writing the character apart from Miller is a dumb idea . Even Smith had the sense to leave her alone. Bendis didn't and it didn't work. Chichester has the nerve, in his magnum opus, to make 'An Event' out of it and makes her return instantly...forgettable.

Attempting to be great and being great are two completely different things. And when you 'attempt to be great', maybe you should let others do the measuring.Chichester should have learnt from his predecesor. Nocenti produced some fine work without shouting from the rooftops. She just produced the goods. During Chicesters run, both the editorials and the letters columns were full of the creative teams own sense of self importance and 'originality'. I might be misquoting, but things went along the lines of 'we're going to revolutionise this book, change is gonna come, people will be talking about this for years', and other pretentious crap. Now this was all something different from the usual Marvel Bullpen hype, these guys actually sounded so stuck up their own backsides they'd dissapeared. Not only was the book crap, but the people who were making it crap were shouting out loud telling us how good it was. Always a bad sign.

Yeah, here we are, talking about it years later, only not in the way they thought.

Finally, comparing Chichester with the likes of Playing To The Camera or Flying Blind is silly. Both hold no claims to greatness anyway, Playing to the Camera, with the exception of the introduction of the odd interesting supporting character, was six issues long and so bad that Marvel released the book bi-weekly just to get the thing out of the way. Flying Blind is four issues of filler, the last gasp of Vol. 1 with all energies spent on the upcoming relaunch. Chichester produced the goods for about eight issues, then issue after issue of mediocrity, then a supposed Great Event, then a quick fade back to mediocrity, for years. No comparison.

DD#319 didn't 'sell out' due to an OK drawing of a skyscraper and a little red blob (Santa?) falling off it on the cover. It was hyped and the speculators snapped it up in multiple copies. Its latter glow in the dark cover doesn't make it a wonderful period in DD history either. Chichester, from #301 on, is just bad.

I quite like the idea of Fall From Grace having glow in the dark covers though. Its rather apt. You can sit there in the dark, think 'Wow, wonder how much this beauty is gonna be worth in 6 months' and then keep the lights off and read the book in the dark as well. Just as enjoyable and absolutley no dip in quality . And 'reading the book' is more than most people who bought DD #319 back than probably managed to do anyway.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. Spider-Man #1 had too may varient covers. Therefore Fall from Grace was bad.

Why aren't you laughing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: