Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

rgj's gonna love this (SPOILERS)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: rgj's gonna love this (SPOILERS) Reply with quote

http://www.newsarama.com/marvelnew/newavengers/31/NA31cvr2.html

Haha, Marvel. You're so silly.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
vtsoxfan7
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

' According to a source from Marvel, this will mostly likely be the next big "it" book, as what happens on the cover is only the start of the story, and doesn't involve Elektra's resurrection a handful of issues later.'

You've got to wonder, is that because she will be resurrected DURING the issue, like they did with Echo??? haha

http://tburnham7.blogspot.com/

'So I've got THAT going for me...which is nice' - Bill Murray, Caddyshack
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh WHAT THE F

Are you serious?

Deaths and resurrections must be the only way to hype things to the populace. God forbid we don't have confidence enough in the story for someone to find it. The dollars will come, today or tomorrow.

OMG IT'S ONLY THE BEGINNING! SHE COULD BE DEAD! AWESOME.

Here's a question: aren't the type of people who read solicits the type of people who take them with a grain of salt? The only thing solicits do is piss me off at the weak-minded marketing. Like I, a person of less-than-average intelligence, am going to fall for a stupid ploy like that.

Marvel just needs to go all the way: "New this fall--we resurrect JESUS in a 6-parter written by Brian Michael Bendis and drawn by Alex Maleev!"

Newsarama interview excerpt, Bendis:
"I read the Bible as sort of a go-by, you know, but I don't think continuity is THAT important. After all, I only read the Old Testament in preparation. As long as the story's good, you know? I think people get hung up on continuity, as if the prior work has no mistakes in it or something. My opinion is, take what you want and scrap the rest! And of course, Alex's gritty style is perfect to bring Jesus into the 21st century and have him face off against Thor and Galactus. Who wins? Where will our souls go if He loses? How can we do this and Gwen Stacy still be dead? WHO CARES! SEE YOU IN THIRTY!"

...That's not to offend, that's to make a point. Sensationalism doesn't seem to go hand in hand with the comic medium if you possess a critical mind.

Just saying.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not against resurrections per se. Everyone complains about Jean Grey getting killed (and unkilled) over and over again. Of course, no one seems to remember or care that she's the Phoenix. It's the whole point, the Phoenix is supposed to die over and over again. IT'S THE WHOLE POINT. Plus, Jean's repeated deaths add tremendously to Scott's character as he repeatedly has to deal with her loss.

This, this, however, is just plain nuts. I don't fully agree with rgj's "Elektra is Dead" thing but I accept it insofar as I think, maybe, Elektra being dead was how the Elektra Saga was supposed to end. I think it's fair to say that Miller created her so that she could die. That the whole Saga thing was supposed to be a complete story.

I'm not as militant as rgj, however, becuase I think it was open to Marvel to bring her back. Especially since they brought her back during the Saga. Sure, they forced Miller to do it but it makes some sense. She's a good character, Marvel was allowed to bring her back. What they weren't allowed to do, however, is bring her back to kill her again. And kill her using Echo. Echo for the love of god.

The more you think about it the more your head just spins. The only reason her getting killed again is, in theory, "cool" is because she was killed the first time. The image is even a reference to that original moment. The moment that they actually undid. At this point Miller's moment, in which Elektra was killed, was blunted so that they could do it again. And they didn't even want her dead in the first place.

The only way this can go well is if Elektra is killed and then comes back as Ronin. That way we can all pretend that it's all one big joke.

Why aren't you laughing?
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like jc says, it's not the "resurrections" of characters that are bad (I'm sure Cap will get his within the next two years), but when it comes to Elektra, it's the redundancy. Redundant in such a lesser story (c'mon, you think it's going to be better than DD #181??). It's like Bulls killing another DD girlfriend in Guardian Crap. *Yawn*, done before and done better.

No hype?? No BS?? C'mon, you're Marvel. It's ALL about hype and BS. The fact that this "IT book" *yawn* happens in a Avengers comic (the DD mythos, what has become of you??) is halarious. The fact that the post-Miller Elektra clone, an amazingly crappy character, is killed by Echo, an eqaully crappy character is also funny (unless, Marvel is pulling a misleading fast one with the cover).

Anyway, I can't wait for Elektra's next ressurection. What an "IT book" that will be! You know, I think Bendis forgot the S and H in front of that "it".

As for the ELEKTRA IS DEAD thing jc mentions. The character that Miller wrote is definitley not the one we have seen since the clone came back in FFG. Not one post-Miller Elektra story has been worthy of remembering (I have read some, by the way). In fact, they've just crapped on the character. Fact is, she doesn't sell. Her comics get cancelled, her movie was ignored. And, I'm sure her stamp won't get licked. Yet Marvel promotes this Elektra above the Daredevil character! Seriously, look at all the ads with Elektra and not DD. Look what they did with that dumb postage stamp. Marvel is just desperate. And, all these dumb stories and (new) deaths of Elektra just crap all over THE ELEKTRA SAGA. No, TES isn't the end all of stories, but it put DD on the map and was a major part of the DD mythos. And, the story arc, as a whole, (yeah, Bendis, Miller did looonnnng arcs too!) actually has meaning. It's Elektra's own Born Again. It's her coming back full circle.

Anyway, seriously, anyone want to give me more advice on DC comics that are worth checking out.
vtsoxfan7
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in no way a DC connoisseur, but I have been reading a handful of titles a friend of mine has let me borrow and the new run of JLA has been pretty good.

http://tburnham7.blogspot.com/

'So I've got THAT going for me...which is nice' - Bill Murray, Caddyshack
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
She's [Elektra] a good character, Marvel was allowed to bring her back.

I'd only accept her resurrection if she was brought back to her roots. Like, say, a classically trained dancer.
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew there was reason why I stopped reading New Avengers after the last Civil war tie-in. Razz

Well, in all fairness, I actually read the entire 1st issue of this current arc in my shop and felt some remorse for dropping it. I'll see how this whole story pans out and play it safe by picking up the trade... or not. Wink

Meltzer's JLA is alright, but its not the best team book out there at the moment. No sir. Nothing is quite like the new JSA series. This is the stuff. Johns with Ross assisting on covers and plotlines.

C.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
The image is even a reference to that original moment. The moment that they actually undid. At this point Miller's moment, in which Elektra was killed, was blunted so that they could do it again.

A friend of mine lent me the previous issue of New Avengers. I'll tell you that it may be the worst issue of a comic book I've ever read in my life. Wall to wall nonsense. I'll also tell you that they reference Miller's original image of Elektra's death in that too, but in #27 it's Elektra thrusting her sai through Ronin.

Does anybody here still like Bendis? If so I have a Milli Vanilli cassette I could sell you.
obiwan570
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly i like to think this is another crappy big hype by marvel to go the way of the cable TV shows (lost, heroes, 24 ) where the death of major characters does wonders for ratings cos it seems to be the in thing now. the audience is fascinated by "death". But honestly first my man rogers then echo sicking elektra ?????!!!!!!
NO F---KING WAY its inconcievable
why does every marvel writer have to harp on every idea or image thats been done b4.
Do something new stun us with new concepts. Frank miller did it ,bendis did it nocenti did it Smith didn't (made hype by using miller idea of killing a babe with bulleye) bru's on the right track so far.
Marvel stop boring me or u losing me to DC. killing of cap and elektra would definetly do it for me.
enough said
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And of course, Alex's gritty style is perfect to bring Jesus into the 21st century and have him face off against Thor and Galactus.

XD
Damnit, I wish I was Stanley.

Anyway, in what way is that an homage to Miller's depiction of her death? It's completely different! It doesn't even slightly convey the emotion that Miller managed to express back then.

The only good news is that she gets killed by Echo.

Last edited by Francesco on Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy. Just crazy. Here's Marvel's solicit for New Avengers #31:
Quote:

No hype! No BS! The most important last page of any Marvel comic this year! Do not miss it!

That's right folks, it has the words "No hype!" (with an exclaimation mark no less) followed two words later by INSANE HYPE. "The most important last page of any Marvel comic this year!"? How in holy god isn't that hype? "The" implies there's only one, "most" means the highest, "any" again implies singularity and then finishes by making the claim last an entire "year".

And then it says "do not miss it!". The whole point of hype is to make it so that people feel like they can't miss the hyped issue. The phrase "do not miss it" boiled the entire hype machine down to it's basic part.

It's insane. It's actually insane. It is, literally, literally a super hype driven solicit that starts with the words "no hype". There's four exclaimation points in it for the love of god. There's only 19 words but there's still somehow four exclaimation points.

Soooooooooo insulting to readers.

Why aren't you laughing?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley wrote:
Here's a question: aren't the type of people who read solicits the type of people who take them with a grain of salt? The only thing solicits do is piss me off at the weak-minded marketing.

When I hear the following in a Marvel solicit (for a Bendis book, nonetheless),

"No hype! No BS! The most important last page of any Marvel comic this year! Do not miss it!"

the first and only things that come to mind are hype, BS and intentionally miss out on this one.

The only time I take a Marvel solicit to heart is when its a Brubaker book.
MercifulAvatar
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap like this and the "Cap killed like a bitch" incident are exactly why I only read DD and do my best to ignore the rest of Marvel.

Crikies, they suck ass (the geriatric variety, not the college cheerleader sort).

But I remind myself that their job is not to shower favor on loyal readers by producing rewarding story lines, but rather to make money for their shareholders.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for once agree with the Marvel bashing. Elektra is a good character who is misused - much like Nightwing. The difference, of course, being that DC had the sense not to kill Nightwing off (at least for now), even if it meant we have to deal with the Wolfman mediocrity in order to get to a writer who actually had a vision for the character down the line.

Bendis screwing around with Elektra is a big no-no in my book. I really like Kevin Smith's attitude about the whole thing, something to the effect of "It's one thing to try on your Dad's clothes, it another thing entirely to screw his wife". Frank Miller, so far as I'm concerned, owns Elektra, and unless you can do her justice, leave her the hell alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: