Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Whos Your Favorite DD VILLIAN?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Avengers911
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: Whos Your Favorite DD VILLIAN? Reply with quote

mine is Hyde.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hand. All of them.

Any time there's a scene with Daredevil on a rooftop fighting a billion Hand ninjas, I crap my pants. Fights with Elektra are also cool, but only because they are far less frequent.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non-powered criminals who are not the Kingpin

(E.g. Caviar killer, Rotgut, Gael, Punisher, etc.)
Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gael and Rotgut are great. But then O'Neil and Nocenti are great writers. I like a lot of the characters Nocenti came up with. DD facing 'street level' characters like the Wildboys always seem to work well.

As has been said before on here, DD's rogues gallery is full of potentially great characters that continually fail to live up to anything near that great potential. I still think the defining DD/Purple Man story has yet to be written, same for Mr Fear.

Even the Jester was great in his first few issues by Lee/Colan. Then you get someone like Bob Gale who uses the guy whilst showing a complete lack of understanding of what he's all about. Waste. Bendis used him and it wasn't too bad.

I always liked the way Deathstalker showed up as a kind of semi regular thorn in DD's side before Mckenzie/Miller killed him off for good.

Umm.. I haven't got a favourite. I know Stilts is miles better than Man-Bull though.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the Kingpin is the number one Daredevil villain and has been used to great effect throughout the years, but is extremely overexposed. He was such a great DD villain that it seemed that he was the crutch, as was Bullseye, that a writer would lean on when he couldn't come up with a good idea. I'm glad that he's out of the country and hopefully won't be used for quite some time. Of course, over in Spidey's book, he currently has a slight? significance.

I very much enjoyed the Micah Sinn arc back in the Miller/O'Neil days, but that had more to do with the story, then the character himself. He was somewhat like an evil Kazar.

I thought Deathstalker was very cool and added a pulpish atmosphere to the stories. I remember feeling very frustrated when he first showed up because he wasn't steeped in reality (I know, why am I looking for realism in comic books?) and it took forever to find out what his 'deal' was. Yet when he was killed, I found myself missing him greatly.

The use of Purple Man in the Alias book, was absolutely chilling.

And Typhoid Mary, when used by Nocenti, was excellent.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything Neilan said about the Kingpin. I think it's fair to say he's Daredevil's number one villain, but thank God he's being given a rest for awhile.

Bullseye is, of course, great too, but I'm not crazy with the way he's been handled lately. Bendis made him too easy to beat. I won't touch a story involving "the new Thunderbolts." Bullseye's Greatest Hits was okay, but Daniel Way treats him more like a Punisher villain than a Daredevil villain. Put him back in his costume already too.

Which brings me to the Punisher. I really liked David Lapham's Daredevil vs. Punisher mini-series. Miller and Nocenti wrote some great stories with these two going at each other's throats. I certainly don't consider the Punisher a hero, and neither should Daredevil. And, since Matt is largely responsible for the Punisher breaking out of prison, I think Brubaker has got to write an encounter with these two pretty soon.

I also like Deathstalker, Typhoid and Sir. (Yes. You read that right.)
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir was ... interesting.

I am a huge fan of J.M. DeMatteis' work in Spider-Man. In fact he is probably my #1 favorite S-M writer (in the non-Stan Lee division). He's the one who wrote the DD stories with Sir. I think alot of people on this board have slammed his Daredevil work. I found his brief run on DD ambitious and decent but not nearly as good as the Spidey stuff. When done well, I'm a sucker for the heavy psychological stuff.
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilan wrote:
I am a huge fan of J.M. DeMatteis' work in Spider-Man. In fact he is probably my #1 favorite S-M writer (in the non-Stan Lee division). He's the one who wrote the DD stories with Sir. I think alot of people on this board have slammed his Daredevil work. I found his brief run on DD ambitious and decent but not nearly as good as the Spidey stuff. When done well, I'm a sucker for the heavy psychological stuff.

I've only read one of his Spider-Man stories. (I don't read too much Spider-Man.) I think he's a great writer. He was given an unenviable task with Daredevil -- Clean up Chichester's mess. I agree with you that Sir was interesting. In fact Sir was fascinating psychologically. I really don't get why so many here dislike De Matteis. Things were a mess when he came along. The Warren Ellis issue preceding De Matteis run showed that Matt was unravelling. It's not De Matteis that gave him a split personality. I thought he did a great job exploring Matt's psychological makeup. If he didn't clean up Chichester's nonsense, where would Daredevil be now?

If you haven't read Volume 1 #344-350, I think you should. I suppose it helps if you're aware of the crappola that preceded these issues, but I think these are solid comics with a genuine threat and a compelling character in Sir. Ron Wagner's artwork was great too.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've only read one of his Spider-Man stories. (I don't read too much Spider-Man.) I think he's a great writer. He was given an unenviable task with Daredevil -- Clean up Chichester's mess. I agree with you that Sir was interesting. In fact Sir was fascinating psychologically. I really don't get why so many here dislike De Matteis. Things were a mess when he came along. The Warren Ellis issue preceding De Matteis run showed that Matt was unravelling. It's not De Matteis that gave him a split personality. I thought he did a great job exploring Matt's psychological makeup. If he didn't clean up Chichester's nonsense, where would Daredevil be now?

I couldn't agree with you more. DeMatteis was definitely working under a handicap as far as having to resolve the whole Jack Batlin deal. And, not to be overly agreeable, but I'm with you about the artwork as well. I was unfamiliar with the work of Ron Wagner before and after I read those issues, but I was knocked out by his covers, especially #344.

If you care to check out some of DeMatteis' Spidey work, most people who like his stuff, point to his Kraven's Last Hunt crossover (available as a TPB). Of course there are many readers who see this material as new age psycho babble. The Kraven story does hit you over the head with Kraven's repeated "Be the Spider!" mantra, although I still enjoyed it. I prefer the arc he did called The Child Within, which explores Peter Parker's feelings of abandonment and, of course, this being Spidey, guilt over losing his parents. The emotions conveyed really hit home to me. I'm not totally sure, but I think it was in Spectacular Spider-Man #178-184.

As far as Chichester is concerned, I really liked his early DD work, especially how he made the neighborhood seem like a character, and his description of Matt's senses, but I wound up detesting his work at the end of his run. I wasn't overly fond of his 'Alan Smithee' stories, either, but I guess neither was he, since he didn't allow his real name to be used.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my cue to insert my 2 cents:

Chichester understood and expanded Matt/DD in ways that NO OTHER writer has yet achieved, especially in the use of DD's senses. If Chichester had stayed on the book for a few more years, it would be much, much, much better off for it. He always had resolution to the Jack Battlin' era but he was kicked out by editorial, partially due to the uberlame/uber90's Marvel Edge idea. Then, DeMatteis came in to write the worst DD stories ever written, hands down. Furthermore, DeMatteis's characterization of Matt/DD was perhaps the worst characterization of a major character that I have ever seen in Marvel/DC comics. (Far worse even than Reed Richards in Civil War.)

Again, just my two-cents. Razz
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Forrest, you're being too hard on DeMattis. Matt having full blown multiple personality disorder made all sorts of sense. FULL BLOWN MULTIPLE PERSONALITY DISORDER. Do you know how crazy you have to be to have MPD? Very. Very, very, very. MPD is to the mental disorder world what some kind of crazy AIDS/cancer hybrid would be to the physical disease world.

And I forget, how did Matt get over it? Just kinda said "yeah, I've had a rough time" and that's it? Ridiculous.

Even from a broad perspective: who resolves a hijinxish "multiple Daredevils" storyline with the main character having a ridiculously serious mental disorder?

Crap,

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chichester understood and expanded Matt/DD in ways that NO OTHER writer has yet achieved, especially in the use of DD's senses. If Chichester had stayed on the book for a few more years, it would be much, much, much better off for it. He always had resolution to the Jack Battlin' era but he was kicked out by editorial, partially due to the uberlame/uber90's Marvel Edge idea. Then, DeMatteis came in to write the worst DD stories ever written, hands down. Furthermore, DeMatteis's characterization of Matt/DD was perhaps the worst characterization of a major character that I have ever seen in Marvel/DC comics. (Far worse even than Reed Richards in Civil War.)

Hey Forrest and James. You won't get any argument out of me as far as Chichester and his handling of DD's senses go. But starting soon after the Fall of the Kingpin, I felt that the quality of his stories plummeted starting with the Surgeon General two parter, continuing through Dead Man's Hand (which I think was a crossover which means it may have been somewhat forced on him by editorial), Fall From Grace and Tree of Knowledge (which I thought was an interesting idea, but I sooo did not enjoy the execution).
I do agree, somewhat, with the assessment that DeMatteis' characterization of Matt Murdock was poor, but don't forget, he wasn't Matt, he was Jack Batlin. IMO, there never should have been a Jack Batlin in the first place, but given that as a starting point, and assuming that the author was given the task of 'fixing' the situation (strictly my assumption), I feel he did okay with what he was given. Again, I love DeMatteis' work on Spidey, I thought his DD work was decent.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Do you know how crazy you have to be to have MPD?

Exactly! Others have justified this by comparing DeMatteis's arc with early Born Again or Bendis's token DD "breakdown" but that is about as ridiculous as saying that someone who has contracted a flu in the past shouldn't be all that surprised when AIDS shows up. It's like comparing apples and aircraft carriers. Also, you're right that there is no way that he'd just snap out of something like that.

Sudden MPD seems to be the trademark of a terrible or careless writer in any entertainment medium. (The movie "Adaptation" had a great line about how lame and overused MPD can be but I forgot that quote.)

I really got the impression that DeMatteis could not have cared less about the character or the book when he was placed on DD.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilan wrote:

I do agree, somewhat, with the assessment that DeMatteis' characterization of Matt Murdock was poor, but don't forget, he wasn't Matt, he was Jack Batlin.

I don't really understand that notion. During Chichester's Jack Battlin, he was never delusion or suffering from an alternate personality. He was essentially undercover. Furthermore, he went underground to protect his loved ones from the onslaught of his identity being revealed. (Kinda familiar? Razz) This was very sound reasoning for going underground. Not the work of a mentally ill person.

Given that state, I don't think DeMatteis had a stump to stand on in making Matt severly mentally ill.

P.S. Sorry if my tone sounds overly harsh. I just have stronger opinions about this topic than anything else in entertainment (not just comics). (Can you guess who my favorite DD writer is? Razz)
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only read trades so I'm about a year away from getting my hands on DD #95. That said, I note that in the first time in a while DD is getting some "meh" reviews. One reviewer over at IGN openly frets about whether Bru hitting the reset button was a good idea. I worry too.

The fact of the matter is that Matt will always end up in Hells Kitchen practicing law at some point. At no point will Matt's Hell's Kitchen law days be over. If you accept that, as you should, then as far as I'm concerned the last thing you should want is Matt in Hell's Kitchen practicing law. A great deal of great DD stories have resulted from Matt's "normal" world being shook up. Born Again, Nocenti's run, Bru's early arcs and some of Bendis' stuff (although it was more "fish in poiso water" as opposed to "fish out of water") all concern Matt out of his element.

That said, the whole Batlin thing could have been cool. It would have been an opportunity to tell different kinds of DD stories. A look at Matt from a fresh perspective. Of course he would have been returned, as he always is, to his status quo eventually but we would have had some neat stories too.

There will always be enough Matt as Lawyer in Hells Kitchen stories. Those stories will always be told. Whatever stories Chichester had planned as part of the Batlin arc will never be told. And that's a shame.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: