Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Battlin Jack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much are you looking forward to Battlin Jack?
5 (Could this be the DD "bible?!" :P)
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
0 (Saving my money for the Franklin Richards trade)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Battlin Jack Reply with quote

So, just how excited are we for this one?

I'm going 5. This is the story I've been waiting to hear for ages! The preview art and the interviews I've read suggest that this mini is heading in the direction I'd like to see: minimal story time with an adult Matt and good old comic art (versus the modern "gritty" DD art of Maleev, Lark, Gaydos, etc.). I simply can't wait for this book!!! Very Happy
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always on the fence when it comes to writers expanding on DD's history.

Don't get me wrong, I'm buying it, for sure, but I always worry that the story will end up betraying these great characters because some writer got a bright idea. Remember Joe Kelly and the linking of Typhoid with the prostitute and Bendis with his "Stick is baby Karen" crap. Still, these are lesser characters, Jack on the other hand, he's a major character in Matt's life. Jack and Maggie I feel are characters that should be handled very carefully.

I just hope that the story doesn't reveal something like Jack was chronically physically abusive to Matt or something. There was only one instance where Jack was shown hitting Matt and that was under Miller. And, it was only prevoked because Jack confronted his son about fighting, so the back handed slap he gave Matt was really related to how much Jack didn't want Matt to become like him. It was because he wanted his son to be a better man.

I think we've all wondered why Jack would basically commit suicide in the boxing ring. Why would he do that knowing the pain it would cause Matt? It couldn't have been something as simple and selfish as pride (as a boxer)?? Was there a greater good for winning the fight? A greater good that was worth leaving Matt without family? This would be great if it could be addressed, I just hope the writer doesn't crap on the decency that was at the core of the fighter that Jack was.
train
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm on the fence too. like, rgj, i'm planning on purchasing the book and i hope to be pleasantly suprised by the book. i don't really take exception with the ret-conning of characters (in fact, i really like DD/DP '97) but i do echo rgj's sentiments about jack murdock. i hope that they don't make him out to be a mindless abusive thug. time will tell i suppose.
MercifulAvatar
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll buy it.
And read it.
If Quesada can stay away, it might be good.
If not, it might suck.

Like the man said, "All shall be revealed."
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to it quite a bit, just hoping that Jack doesn't get crapped on by the writer. The art for the story looks pretty good so far, and it's possible it could really be a good tale. I do hope so.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not looking forward to it because whatever had to be said about Jack Murdock has already been said, and there's also the risk, nowadays common when a writer goes to explore DD's origins, to write something mediocre/disappointing.
Isaac
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm not looking forward to it, because I didn't like de work of the artist in Dylan Dog, but there the inking matched better. It has some manga-stiff I don't like, and the coloring doesn't help (since manga uses to be black and white, and so should it be).
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, not looking forward to it. I have no idea who the writer/artist are. They certainly have no connection to DD that I'm aware of. Mini-series that are created to tackle "big issues" virtually always suck.

I sense suck.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the right hands, I would very much look forward to gaining some insight into Matt's family, especially, Maggie. But I'm not looking forward to this mini. I expect it to disappoint. I believe the writer is Zeb Wells. I've only read a little of his work, all Spidey related, but I despised his stuff. He thinks he's funny, but his 'humor' is lost on me. Having said that, I'll be getting it, since it's Daredevil. I sure hope I'm wrong about it.
tony2074
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is something that could go either way, be really really bad, or be excellent.But as has been mentioned,you shouldn't mmess eith jack murdock as he is such a strong influence nad a big part of matts very being and the reasons he is who he is.
but in the hands of zeb wells? zeb wells? in the hands of a miller or bendis or even nocenti id be looking forward to it. at the moment, i really just don't want this to be so rubbish, it becomes a slight on the character.

but if its that bad, we could always just ignore it, eh?
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony2074 wrote:

but in the hands of zeb wells? zeb wells? in the hands of a miller or bendis or even nocenti id be looking forward to it.

In this DD fan's opinion, I would dread a Battlin' Jack mini from Miller, Bendis or Nocenti. (Especially Miller or Bendis...) In fact, when I think about the most recent DD work from Miller and Bendis, I would rather take the complete unknown of Zeb Wells. (Completely unknown because I have never read his work.)

I love Nocenti's DD but I don't feel comfortable with her interpretation of Jack Murdock.

My ideal writers for this mini? Loeb, Kelly, Quesada or Stan Lee. No one ever captured Jack better than these four, especially Loeb and Quesada.
tony2074
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good point, good point. Miller, nocenti or bendis would perhaps be too dark, but you've got to admit that they'd captur the gangster element ot the story well.

Zeb wells-the majority of stuff (as previously noted) was spidey, light hearted spidey. But hey. who knows, this could be the series that makes him?

Whatever-im sure we'll all be giving it at least a go.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? I'm the god damned Battling Jack Murdock."

It would be awesome.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: