Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

daredevil: end of days
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tony2074
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: daredevil: end of days Reply with quote

bensis and mack write

janson and bill seinkiwicz (sp) do the art (with additional painted art by david mack)

basicaly daredevil: the end, the last daredevil story as he makes his last stand in dystopian future new york.

how awesome is this going to be?!
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm actually not looking forward to this at all. I had years upon years of Bendis portraying a Matt/DD beaten down and showing no sign of the hardcore DD I knew and loved from the old days. Now, with Brubaker's DD, I feel like Matt is a real prize fighter again. I have no desire to go back to reading emo DD, especially in an out-of-continuity tale in which Bendis will probably kill Matt in some almost ridiculously depressing way.

Nope, my DD is an epic prize fighter. If he goes down, he'll do it like his father did, not in some nihilistic pseudo-Miller story, which I am prematurely assuming this mini will be.

Sorry for sounding so negative. I have never read one of these The End stories because the concept does not appeal to me. Then, put Bendis on it and it's just not something I am interested in.
tony2074
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently it will be in continuity in the same way that the dark knight returns.

which means not really at all.

agree that bru has brought matt out of that period of his life wonderfully well and we're getting back to a classic daredevil, who my just enjoy life.

you can't dent the art team is gonna look superb though
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony2074 wrote:
apparently it will be in continuity in the same way that the dark knight returns.

which means not really at all.

Exactly. I listened to a Bendis podcast interview when this mini was announced and he kept insisting that the tale is in continuity. Within a day or two of hearing about a new DD mini, I was already experiencing the old Bendis hype which has consistently lead to disappointment in the past (Secret War, House of M, CW: The Confession, Golden Age, Decalogue, Murdock Paper, New Avengers, etc.) We all know this is not in continuity (unless Marvel/Bendis is planning on killing of DD anytime soon) so why the hype for a Elseworlds/What If? story? Well, in my anti-Bendis biased view, I think hype fuels this guy's modern work more than actual story. So, when he starts hyping an out-of-continuity mini so long before it even comes out, I can just feel the low quality writing he's going to deliver on this mini. This shallow hype turned me off big time.

Maybe I would get psyched if this thing came out a few years down the road, after the bitter taste of Bendis's later DD is a distant memory. ...Or if he wasn't on the mini at all.

...Maybe Mack will save it. I LOVE his Parts of a Hole story! Cool
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Dimetre on Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Dimetre on Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Janson and Sienkiewicz, but Bendis almost always disappoints me.

I think The End is an interesting concept. The Hulk: The End was fantastic. The combination of Daredevil, The End and Sienkiewicz might make this too difficult to resist, even if Bendis is writing it.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[Made pointless]

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?

Last edited by james castle on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realize that was going to happen. Technology. Bloody hell.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only Bendis would spend more time writing and less time hyping his work, he'd be the Bendis of old. The Bendis who brought me back big-time into comics in general and Daredevil in particular. I guess he's caught Quesada fever.

sigh

Having said that, I'll be buying this mini. Embarassed
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimetre wrote:
Deleted

Dimetre wrote:
Deleted

james castle wrote:
[Made pointless]

Dimetre wrote:
Didn't realize that was going to happen. Technology. Bloody hell.

Guys, one of these days I'm going to open a "surrealistic topic" on the off-topic section. Wanna join?

Seriously, I was going to write something on topic, but Forrest's post totally left me with nothing else to say.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ocsecnarf wrote:

Guys, one of these days I'm going to open a "surrealistic topic" on the off-topic section. Wanna join?

Nioj annaw. Noitces cipot-ffo eht no "cipot citsilaerrus" a nepo ot gniog M'i syad eseht fo eno, syug?

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf is this, Zatanna speak?
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Ocsecnarf wrote:

Nioj annaw. Noitces cipot-ffo eht no "cipot citsilaerrus" a nepo ot gniog M'i syad eseht fo eno, syug?
Laughing

You made one fatal mistake. We now know your secret identity. You are The Mirror Man!
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
I'm actually not looking forward to this at all. I had years upon years of Bendis portraying a Matt/DD beaten down and showing no sign of the hardcore DD I knew and loved from the old days. Now, with Brubaker's DD, I feel like Matt is a real prize fighter again. I have no desire to go back to reading emo DD, especially in an out-of-continuity tale in which Bendis will probably kill Matt in some almost ridiculously depressing way.

Nope, my DD is an epic prize fighter. If he goes down, he'll do it like his father did, not in some nihilistic pseudo-Miller story, which I am prematurely assuming this mini will be.

Sorry for sounding so negative. I have never read one of these The End stories because the concept does not appeal to me. Then, put Bendis on it and it's just not something I am interested in.

While I can see where you might be coming from (though not on the idea of Bendis' DD not being enough of a 'fighter' - he beat Kingpin into a bloody mush and declared himself Kingpin, for Christ's sake!) I think this story will rock and hard. And to use the term 'pseudo-Miller' as an insult is ludicrous. Without Frank Miller, there's no Ann Nocenti, or Chichester, or Brubaker - there's no precedent for daredevil to be a noir anti-hero. Frank Miller's Daredevil is an evergreen classic run that many current comic fans owe for getting them into comics in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: