Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Super Late Thoughts on Devil Takes a Ride
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murdock Bell
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
It so quickly goes from "you're wrong" to "you're mean".

I was only pointing out the irony in you accusing another poster of being immature and childish, when the basic premise of your argument for this entire thread has been:

"Anyone who doesn't agree with me is a Smith fanboy who's never read DD comics. Oh, and you're a little kid!"

Which apparantly includes Frank Miller now.

james castle wrote:

After failing entirely to deal with my substantive points--.

Oh, I'm sure you believe an oath you took in another country supercedes the actual ethical guidelines and oaths coming from the actual country and state Matt practices law in.

I guess this is where you go on one of your prejudicial tirades about Florida again, which you apparantly think is a Mad Max style wasteland ruled by Mussolini's reanimated corpse.
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a guy who works at a comic shop, I did notice that the stand-alones at the beginning and end of The Devil Takes a Ride slowed down the momentum for this comic in a big way. The Secret Life of Foggy Nelson seemed incongruous when compared to the pacing of the Devil in Cell Block D's pacing... then 'Ride was a relatively slow-moving story... it shook alot of readers.

Don't misunderstand, it's a very good arc that stands on its own merit... but considering that the two preceding arcs - The Murdock Papers and Cell Block D - had a frenetic, jarring pace, it's going to take a hit.

I also think it's a case of Brubaker not caring as much about this character as he probably should, in all candor. Compare the quality of writing on Iron Fist while Daredevil was in this lull... it's clear that while perhaps Brubaker can write several books at once, he can only write one particularly well at any given time.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to keep this going. Especially after Acerbus made such a great attempt to get things back on track. That was pretty darn funny, and yet, insightful at the same time.

james castle wrote:
Sigh. Yes, I throw a couple barbs in which my argument (although they are usually of the "that's a stupid things to say" variety). But it's people like N and MB who end the argument by appealing to form rather than substance. After failing entirely to deal with my substantive points (still waiting for that example boys) they break down into attacking my argument style.

It so quickly goes from "you're wrong" to "you're mean". The later only ever comes up once there's been a complete failure to show the former.

I would never tell someone that their opinion is wrong. It's like telling someone they belong to the wrong religion. Opinions are not facts, they are beliefs. As far as the argument goes, I said all I wanted to say. You may agree or not, as you please. I read your points, some gave me food for thought. Some, I still disagree with.

I don't need you to agree with me and I don't understand why you need to throw the "barbs" if someone doesn't agree with you. Why does it matter so much?

I just don't understand the need for personal attacks. For me, it takes all the fun out of something that should be all about fun.

james castle wrote:
Grow up kids.

That's exactly my point.
Murdock Bell
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Case in point...

rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Man?

Funny though, this was Matt's train of thought when he WASN'T a lawyer. Go figure.

rgj
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilan wrote:
Since we have gotten so off-topic.

At my daughter's Middle School (6th-8th grade), when the kids disagree with each other, they get really personal and many times vicious, hurling insults and curses like it was a matter of life and death. I'm proud that my kid is one of a small percentage who doesn't behave that way. She believes that you should attack the argument, not the arguer, and that that is how her peers will behave once they reach the maturity of adulthood.

I think I'll steer her away from this board so she doesn't see how some supposed adults really act.

1) I don't give a damn how you parent your child. In fact, she might benefit from a parent who doesn't trumpet accolades over something she's SUPPOSED to do.

2) You're the only one who thinks she's anything special.

The fact that you mention how you're going to parent your child doesn't make you ~right~, it just means you're trying to outnumber someone 2 to 1 instead of attempting to use logic and reason to change his mind.

Whether you want to call JC childish is one thing--but he's right about you being on a high horse.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley wrote:
1) I don't give a damn how you parent your child. In fact, she might benefit from a parent who doesn't trumpet accolades over something she's SUPPOSED to do.

The fact that you mention how you're going to parent your child doesn't make you ~right~, it just means you're trying to outnumber someone 2 to 1 instead of attempting to use logic and reason to change his mind.

Whether you want to call JC childish is one thing--but he's right about you being on a high horse.

Just giving my opinion. Thanks for weighing in with yours.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murdock Bell wrote:
Case in point...

Oh for the love of god. Reread that page. His entire train of thought is with regard to him being a vigilante. I think rgj's right. He isn't even lawyer in that issue. So you've done nothing but prove my point. Spider-Man should be having the same issues, and Superman, and Batman and...well all vigilantes. That page has absolutely zero to do with Matt being a lawyer as well.

I'd ask you to stop but if you're so intent on finding and posting evidence that proves my point then go ahead.

As for Neilan...okay, I'm sorry. I agree that under a certain twisting of language and meaning opinions can't be "wrong" (insofar as you actually have them...but does that make them right?). So, fine your opinion isn't wrong. It is, however, silly.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilan wrote:
Stanley wrote:

Just giving my opinion. Thanks for weighing in with yours.

Oh, mine's not an opinion. It's a fact. Much like the fact that you procreated, which does not impress me. Nor does the fact that you can influence an adolescent related to you.

And yours isn't an opinion either. It's an attempted "scathing judgment" cloaked in "well, that's just my opinion." I'll continue to 'weigh in' until either A) you stop being smarmy, or B) you realize you're wrong.

Ask anyone.

(Oh, and teach your kid that Stanley is smarter than her daddy. It may be the only lesson of yours that has any merit.)
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Matt should be ashamed of himself. How can he live with himself not "upholding" the law, I mean, being a lawyer and Daredevil, the vigilante (an unauthorized "enforcer" of the law).

Seriously, why can't he be one of those noble, law "upholding" lawyers (like O.J. Simpsons defense team, or how about that D.A. that went after the Duke lacrosse team members--or any D.A. for that matter that likes to pat his stats with death penalty corpses that get him to higher office). Matt should be ashamed of himself.

Serioulsy, look, it's all well and good that lawyers have some cute little "upholding the spirit of the law" catch phrases, but I always thought that lawyers USED the law (as opposed to "upholding"--I mean, crap, shouldn't we ALL uphold it?). I always thought the first priority of a defense attorney was his client (who is paying him, by the way) and a D.A.'s priority is "the people."

In the end, Matt's actions as a lawyer and vigilante are for the protection of the weak from the strong. Matt's internal dialogue with himself in that page is probably nothing different that other vigilantes have had (except the Punisher). The day Matt represents a client as a lawyer but, behind his back (cause he knows he's guilty), is trying to bring him down as DD will be a real example of Matt being unethical. And, he would truly not be "upholding" the spirit of his oath.

Look, we all know being a vigilante is unlawful. Yes, Matt could get disbarred and (has gone) could go to jail (just like Spidey could). But, I don't think Matt is agonizing over the hypocracy of playing both sides of the coin (like some of you are). Because, for Matt there is only one goal. Protect the innocent and the weak. Heck, the guy even saves (spares) the lives of known killers who would get the death penalty in some states. Matt's sense of justice goes beyond "the law." It goes beyond his "religion." Sure, those things are part of it, but so was his father. And the kids that bullied him. It's many things. Matt's sense of justice is trying to stop injustice. And, he'll use the law as a lawyer and enforce the law as DD.

rgj
harryhausen
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to Acerbus’s point:

I can imagine that the stand-alone, recap issues did break the momentum. I’m a very new reader (though I read some DD in the ‘80s, he wasn’t my favorite [what was I thinking?]) – just got on board a few months ago and am working my way through the canon - reading the earliest Frank Miller stuff right now and planning to go forward from there. I did go back and get the whole Brubaker-Lark run and will say that the stand-alone issues were great for me.

I guess my point is, Marvel seems to have provided a jumping-on point (two, in fact, really) for new readers and here I am benefiting from it. Maybe in the wake of Civil War they hoped some other folks would be picking up certain titles for the first time in a while? Anyway, the momentum breakers definitely helped a new fan here.

I beg your collective forbearance while I get caught up. And for you long-time readers, it’s amazing to dig this stuff up in huge swaths and read it quick for the first time. Astonishing.

As for Iron Fist (which I haven’t yet read because it’s always sold out at my LCS – apparently Fraction used to work there or something – waiting on the TPB), I hear rumors that it’s Fraction who makes the wheels go on that one. Anyone else given to understand that? [And here we go off-topic again . . .]
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stanley wrote:

He's right, Neilan. Why don't you take example from him:

Stanley wrote:
(Oh, and teach your kid that Stanley is smarter than her daddy. It may be the only lesson of yours that has any merit.)

Umm... wait a minute...
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
As for Neilan...okay, I'm sorry. I agree that under a certain twisting of language and meaning opinions can't be "wrong" (insofar as you actually have them...but does that make them right?). So, fine your opinion isn't wrong. It is, however, silly.

James, I appreciate the lighter tone (even with the sarcasm). All I'm trying to say is, feel free to rip my theories and expose any holes in my logic. But when insults are thrown at someone, they only stand in the way of appreciating the other person's argument.

I'll stop now.
Stanley
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Stanley wrote:

He's right, Neilan. Why don't you take example from him:

Stanley wrote:

Umm... wait a minute...

Hey, I never said I wasn't a hypocrite.

...I think it must be my sense of message board justice, where I try to fight through both sides--logic and taunts. This inherent conflict is what makes me such a likable character.
Murdock Bell
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
So you've done nothing but prove my point. Spider-Man should be having the same issues, and Superman, and Batman and...well all vigilantes.

You've missed the point entirely.

Spider-Man is never going to be caught ruminating over how laws need to be treated with equal importance or anarchy will result. He doesn't have the same philosophical, ethical, and educational grounding in law that Matt does, and comes at crime fighting from a completely different perspective.

Context is what defines hypocrisy.

Someone who eats meat regularly isn't necessarily a hypocrite. However, a member of PETA who campaigns for animal rights and a vegetarian diet during the day, but secretly chows down on burgers and fried chicken at home...that person is a hypocrite.

Matt, because of his law background, holds and has preached the belief that laws are inviolate, and that all laws need to be given equal respect. Then, in direct mockery of that, he breaks a crapload of laws as Daredevil, instead of working within the system he claims to cherish for change.

That's hypocrisy, and double-think. It comes from a noble place (mostly), sure, but his vigilante life is still an insult to the philosophies he's developed as a lawyer.

None of this hypocrisy applies to someone like Spider-Man, because while he's likewise a crime fighter, he has a different set of beliefs about this kind of stuff altogether, and lives a very different life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: