Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

I hope Milla is here to stay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyu
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: I hope Milla is here to stay Reply with quote

After reading issue 95, I realized that things are going to happen concerning Milla. Someone is following her and is thinking of using her in someway. Part of me is excited to see Milla finally playing a more important role in DD's adventures, but part of me is afraid that some misfortune will fall upon her.

I, for one, really dig the idea of DD having a woman on his side. It is heartwarming, and it is necessary. With all the crap he's been through, I think he deserves someone like Milla. Heck, spiderman, whose life is not nearly as crazy as DD, has a wife and can fit her in his life, so why can't DD?

I hope writers will explore more of Matt's life with Milla, because a happier Matt is something so rare to see. I was alarmed to see the problems Milla has with the marriage, and I hope that it would not lead to a divorce (again). It is true that women around Matt suffers more than anyone else, and they don't usually stay very long. Electra (personally not a big fan of her, but whatever), Karen, Heather, Typhoid, just to name a few. I want the writers to show that Matt can have a shot at happiness through a stable relationship, that he can KEEP what he deserves.

I really hope Milla doesn't die as some plot device. I think if any more death of DD's loved ones will just cheapen the impact of death in his life. Electra has died, Karen died, Heather died, even Foggy has "died" once! As a reader, I really cannot bear to see another important person in DD's life die. I mean, is there even a point anymore? Do I really want to see another depressed DD? Can we please move on to the "Without Fear" part of the Man and really explore what he can do as a crimefighter, both as a lawyer and as a superhero?

This is just a series of thoughts triggered by scences from the last issue of DD. Chances are, Milla's probably not in any life threatening danger and I"m just getting ahead of myself. But I really hope she is here to stay. DD needs someone playing the role of a wife in his life, and Milla is the best choice so far. If I want to see someone brood about being alone and untrusting, I will go read Batman.

p.s: speaking of Batman. With all his angst and depression, I think he's a bit of a whiner compared to DD. Imagine this conversation:
Batman: I am dark and brooding because my parents died. I've devoted myself to crimefighting, and although the Justice League always tried to make me feel welcome, I can't trust them. yeah... oh yeah Jason Todd died too. No I haven't looked for anyone in my life.
Daredevil: really? well lets see. My mom left when I was young, and my dad got beaten to death. My first and second love died in front of me, and every woman I've loved since has either died or gone crazy. My life is a living hell ever since I was outed, and I don't know when everything will be back to normal again. But I keep going, hoping that things will turn better. I still dream of a good life.
It is clear that DD is a fighter, and Batman just whines alot.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I hope Milla is here to stay Reply with quote

wyu wrote:

It is clear that DD is a fighter, and Batman just whines alot.

...really?

I find that statement interesting because in all the Batman I have read, I would never say "Batman just whines alot." ...interesting. Razz

Looking at modern DD (e.g. Bendis's DD) and modern Batman, I might actually agree with the hypothetical statement "It is clear that Batman is a fighter, and DD just whines alot." ...but never the statement you made. As always, too each his own.

Welcome to the board!
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyu,

There was something about Milla I didn't like at the start... I mean, Matt is in trouble because of being outed by the press and she just comes to the Nelson & Murdock offices to flirt around... that was very schoolgirl-ish for me! However, further developments have made her quite sympathetic to me, I mean, on her first break-ot with Matt she states that she will survive (she's gone through heartbreaks before, she's and adult woman and is a strong one for that), plus her community concern (Hell's Kitchen housing), are appealing to me. I hope that writers treat her well...

This having been said, I am afraid: for some reason, writers (and, particularly DD writers) doesn't seem to warm to the idea of Daredevil having a mildly satisfying love-life. A married superhero seems to be on the "no-no" list of many writers and a married superhero with children even less (forgetting that thye idea worked reasonably well for The Incredibles).

As you, I am for Matt and Milla remaining together, with the eventual rows and disagreements of married couples, if you want, as it happens in real life, but not a complete break-out.

However I am fearful that writers won't be brave, or competent enough, to boldly step into the writing of stories in which the hero is happily married. Karl Kesel dared to write stories in which Daredevil had troubles and toils as a hero, but a reasonably happy relationship with Karen Page, and Kesel was made to quit.

I hope Milla sticks around for a long time, but I am afraid of writers trying cheap stunts in order to sauce up a story... The merciless and brutal death of karen Page in the hands of Kevin Smith (poor Matt!) or the absolutely pointless death of Glorianna O'Breen in the hands of Chichester (poor Foggy!) are examples that come to mind.

"Para la cuesta arriba quiero mi burro, que la cuesta abajo yo me la subo"
leathaface
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I do not like Milla. She is as intresting as a Kansas Corn Field. I am one of the few Daredevil fans who was happy Bendis left, and anything he created should have gone with him, like Milla and a whinny Daredevil. Daredevil was like a little bitch under Bendis, and Maleev's art did not help either. Personally, I would like to see DD and Black Widow get back together. I think they are a perfect fit.

P.S

Shawn Loundrie like cock!
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like Milla's character per se. But I like the love relationship between her and Matt. And generally, I like her as addition to the supporting cast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: