Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Daedevil #96 (SPOILERS)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djsweet wrote:
CyberGhostface wrote:
Does anyone think Gladiator's daughter will be brought up?

I'm waiting for Ed to make mention of Becky and Melvins' history. She was terrified of him, now she's his champion? That deservies to be mentioned.

That crossed my mind as I read this issue. Maybe Becky feels compassion this time because she falsely thought he was her tormentor before (the real one was pretty much a dead ringer for Melvin).

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
djsweet
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darediva wrote:
djsweet wrote:
CyberGhostface wrote:
Does anyone think Gladiator's daughter will be brought up?

I'm waiting for Ed to make mention of Becky and Melvins' history. She was terrified of him, now she's his champion? That deservies to be mentioned.

That crossed my mind as I read this issue. Maybe Becky feels compassion this time because she falsely thought he was her tormentor before (the real one was pretty much a dead ringer for Melvin).
Thanks:) I'd forgotten the plot. When I think of Becky, I think of the wheelchair, and that story. So maybe this was Ed's way of making her a richer supporting character. I'm kinda sick of Foggy, I'd enjoy seing her share his
"face time" in the book.
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got my review of this issue finished!

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/reviews/11780537298361.htm

Thanks to everyone for tipping me off to some of the details that I might have missed in this issue - I included some of the points from this thread in the review.
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[From his Silver Bullet Comics review:]
Dave Wallace wrote:
Here's something you don't often hear from online pundits and armchair critics: I was wrong. A couple of issues ago, I criticised Ed Brubaker for hitting the "reset" button on Daredevil and bringing the book back to something resembling a status quo, after a few years of stories which had developed the book in a very specific direction as a result of Matt Murdock being outed as Daredevil. Well, this latest arc shows why this may have been the best thing to happen to the title in a long time, as the return to a "secret" identity - combined with the resurrection of the Nelson & Murdock legal team as a major part of the book - has allowed Brubaker to really open the book up again, escaping the storytelling confines that resulted from the public knowledge of DD's alter ego, making the most of the hero's supporting cast, and returning the book to its pulp crime roots to tell some new, fresh-feeling stories in the world of the Man Without Fear.

Very well said! I am amazed at just how "fresh" these past couple issues have felt. Personally, I felt like the constant focus on Matt's outing was hurting the book by making it stale and static. It great to see the title finally move on to other topics.

P.S. I still maintain that Brubaker never hit the "reset" but just put DD's outing in the background.
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never understood the hostility towards the so-called "return to Status quo"... In fact, Daredevil has been outed and on the run in previous occasions, so the "out" story was a - grand- variation over an old theme (in fact, a wandering Daredevil could be as much a return to previous status quo as having Murdock back in the bar).

To me the important point is not whether Daredevil is back in his old familiar surroundings (New York, law firm, classical cast of characters) or wandering around the world as a ninja Flying Dutchman ... to me the important thing is that , whatever the setting, good stories are told, and IMHO, Mr. Brubaker is telling terrific ones.

Thumbs up, hats off

"Para la cuesta arriba quiero mi burro, que la cuesta abajo yo me la subo"
Dave Wallace
Paradiso

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forrest wrote:
Very well said! I am amazed at just how "fresh" these past couple issues have felt. Personally, I felt like the constant focus on Matt's outing was hurting the book by making it stale and static. It great to see the title finally move on to other topics.

P.S. I still maintain that Brubaker never hit the "reset" but just put DD's outing in the background.

Thanks! Yes, I'm happy to see the book opened up again like this. Especially the legal angle, which was the one major omission from the Bendis/Maleev era.

And yes, Brubaker has hardly erased the elements of Bendis' run. In fact, the "is he or isn't he?" element will probably put extra pressure on the secret identity angle, which a lot of superhero books have been pretty lax with lately.
rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another solid issue by Bru. As mentioned before, I really liked the villain's POV when confronting Milla at the psychiatrist's office. And, why is she seeing a shrink to begin with? I thought the shrink may have been involved at first (they even gave him a name this issue), but this issue hints at the POV guy being the bad guy.

I noticed the shades of purple too. But, how in the world does "think" have anything to do with Purple Man. As far as I knew, the Purple Man had the VERBAL power of suggestion. Which means he has to BE THERE to tell someone what to do and thus, "control" them. And, his skin color also had something to do with it as DD has turned over PM to the cops while wrapped in a flag so the cops wouldn't be influenced by him.

The problem of people knowing about Matt's senses continues to rear it's ugly head. No, I'm not talking about how this hinders Matt as DD, I'm talking about the resulting illogical writing.

Let's see:

(1) The men in the cars don't speak because they know DD, uh, Matt and his enhanced hearing is coming.

(2) The bomb that frees Melvin includes a "ultra sonic pulse" that hinders DD. So much so that he chastises himself "Idiot. I knew they were expecting me."

Yet, these guys, knowing Matt has enhanced hearing (apparently) don't carry one of those nifty sonic devices (employed by Punisher and that chump in the "Widow" arc.") Seriously, if anyone KNEW Matt had enhanced hearing, and they EXPECTED him to show up, wouldn't it be easier if they carried one of these devices, heck, get a frickin' dog whistle at least. See, this is the problem with Bendis having everyone know the details of Matt's senses. No, not the outing, but the "hey, we all know how to bypass, DD's senses cause we bought the Marvel Universe handbook". It's illogical for the bad guys not to carry this device if they know DD is coming. Bendis forces writers to compromise the logic of their writing because of this.

But, anyway, Bru is doing a great job overall. I look forward to the upcomming issues.

rgj
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgj wrote:
The problem of people knowing about Matt's senses continues to rear it's ugly head. No, I'm not talking about how this hinders Matt as DD, I'm talking about the resulting illogical writing.

Let's see:

(1) The men in the cars don't speak because they know DD, uh, Matt and his enhanced hearing is coming.

(2) The bomb that frees Melvin includes a "ultra sonic pulse" that hinders DD. So much so that he chastises himself "Idiot. I knew they were expecting me."

Yet, these guys, knowing Matt has enhanced hearing (apparently) don't carry one of those nifty sonic devices (employed by Punisher and that chump in the "Widow" arc.") Seriously, if anyone KNEW Matt had enhanced hearing, and they EXPECTED him to show up, wouldn't it be easier if they carried one of these devices, heck, get a frickin' dog whistle at least. See, this is the problem with Bendis having everyone know the details of Matt's senses. No, not the outing, but the "hey, we all know how to bypass, DD's senses cause we bought the Marvel Universe handbook". It's illogical for the bad guys not to carry this device if they know DD is coming. Bendis forces writers to compromise the logic of their writing because of this.

I'm a big Bendis fan, but I have to agree with you. Making DD's senses so widely known was a poor decision.
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...But how widely is the radar/heightened senses issue is really known? Back to "born Again" remember the phrase about karen telling abbout Matt being DD, but not about his senses... My idea was that thbose who know that Murdock is Daredevil mostly believe that he is faking his blindness, and the extrasensory issues are known only by those who have bothered to look further.

...Or maybe I think that because right now I don't remember the issue where it was mentioned that Matt's senses were exposed to the general public: If anyone can mention the actual moment where it happened, I'll be glad to correct/retract from the statement written above

rgj
Hardcore

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...Or maybe I think that because right now I don't remember the issue where it was mentioned that Matt's senses were exposed to the general public

Well, see that's my point (from this and other threads). Bendis merged "knowing Matt is DD" with "knowing Matt has hypersenses." Of course, the natural assumption should be that he's faking blindness. After that, in a Marvel world, it would be anyone's guess how he does what he does. And, no, there aren't any "doctor's notes" lying around. But, Bendis takes it even further than that. Not only do people know Matt is DD. And, that Matt has hypersenses. People also know how to "bypass" them. Yeah, make sure you are 1.2 miles away when you shoot him, cause if you are 1.1 miles away, he'll detect you (remember Elektra's absurd assertion, in the crappy Murdock Papers, that she helped KP bypass Matt's senses in order to record him. Crap writing.).

But, anyway, Bru's doing okay. Smile

rgj
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the Bendis tenure, I remember that the "Daily Globe" attorney, Ingersol, accuses Matt of being a fake blindman (No coffee for him), and let's remember that the newspaper is pictured as a tabloid... I mean, it is not The Times, The Herald Tribune, or the Frankfurter Allgemeine... it is just a tabloid! just a step beyond the "News of the world".

Actually, the "Daily Globe" seemed to have only what the FBI agent told them (i.e. he had been watching Murdock's residence closely and saw strange things happen), but no further proofs to back that.

So IMHO, here may be tons of people in the Marvel Universe who suspect or believe that Matt is Daredevil (on the "I read that in the tabloids" or "heard it through the grapevine" basis), but don't actually know, a large group of people who really know Matt is Daredevil (but ignore exactly why/how, or wether he's actually blind or not)... But those who know about Matt's sense's are a much smaller clique: from my wee knowledge from the MU and DD continuity, few people beyond, the deceased Karen Page and Heather Glenn, Foggy Nelson, Sister Maggie, Natasha Romanoff, Elektra, Ben Urich or, huh, Spiderman know it: Matt didn't even tell his father.

IMHO, if some supervillain is aware of Matt's Radar, it must be on a confidential basis... I don't recall Mysterio/Beck being particularly aware of Matt's radar in the Guardian Devil saga, for instance, and supposedly Kingpin had told him everything he knew about Matt

Incidentally, I also like the way Brubaker is writing the series, he's well accompanied in the Art bt Lark, who is a fine draughtsman and really knows how to draw men's suits!(something rarely accomplished by comics artists now: that's why some stick to just doing superheroes: it's enough as far as you can draw anatomy half-decently. The perfect way in which classic artists used to draw suits in the past -i.e. check the perfect way in which Alex Raymond drew clothes, back in his Rip Kirby days- is a rare thing to behold today)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: