Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

"# 100 is near, # 100 is near..."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: "# 100 is near, # 100 is near..." Reply with quote

I know it is still too soon to talk about Daredevil #100. But just let me say that I'm curious indeed about it.

So far, it is certain that it will be a special issue. Since "To the devil his due" ends in #99, it is possible that we'll have some sort of "rest" number or recapitulation, thouugh Brubaker mentions that the foundations for the following story arch will be laid there.

Marvel editor Tom Breevort says that it's likely to be an extra-sized number.

So far it is known that classic Daredevil artists like John Romita Sr. and Gene Colan are doing some pages for it.Very Happy

So I confess that I wait for it with eager anticipation Wink

"Para la cuesta arriba quiero mi burro, que la cuesta abajo yo me la subo"
Forrest
Lowlife

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime I see new DD art by Gene Colan, I giggle like a little schoolgirl! True story.

(I'm only half way joking. Razz)

Also, I LOVE JRSr.'s DD! The fact that he penciled the cover to #94 stands as one of my favorite DD moments in the past few years. Cool
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda wish that Romita Sr. would go back to Spidey after all this Civil War aftermath ends. The cover for DD just reminded me how much artists took for Romita's run as a template, like I said it'd be awesome to see Romita do Spidey again...JRJR too.
Neilan
Tree of Knowledge

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once heard somebody on the radio say that whatever you were into when you were 12 yrs old (give or take) in the way of music, books, movies; is what you'll think is the best when you hit adulthood. I don't know if that's why I view Gene Colan as the ultimate (not Ultimate) Daredevil artist, or if it's his great use of shadow and the way he drew DD's movements. And although I consider Ditko the quintessential Spidey artist, my all time favorite has always been JR Sr. With both of them involved, Wow!, this makes for a much anticipated 100th issue for me. Of course, the last time I feverishly awaited a 100th issue, Spidey grew 4 extra arms! Shocked
Acerbus
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be really cool for someone like possibly Mazzucchelli to come back and draw something for DD #100... Lee Weeks did a (great!) issue of the book recently, which gives me hope.
Solid Snake PAC
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mazzucchelli, I would to see him back in action. I mean look at the diffrence with Year One and Born again. A short time span, and they look so diffrent compared to one another I can only wonder what his art could be now. Doesn't he teach Art in a University somewhere?
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neilan wrote:
... although I consider Ditko the quintessential Spidey artist, my all time favorite has always been JR Sr.

Whenever I think of my favourite Spiderman, I think of Romita Sr. too. Great stories, no need of clones or extra-terrestrial super-suits, just a tremendously human superhero, his family and friends, and his foes (and only one series, for Turm's sake!). His issues of DD are not many but , graphically, are beyond praise. The red suit re-designed by the great Wally Wood really came on his own drawn by Romita Sr., Karen was as charming and beauteous as all Romita girls are, and Foggy looking like Raymond Burr's long-lost brother... Chapeau!

Incidentally, John Romita Jr. is equally an awesome DD artist... Must run in the family Cool

Solid Snake PAC wrote:
Mazzucchelli, I would to see him back in action.?

Ditto, ditto, hear, hear. Very Happy

Mazzuchelli is a master. In Born Again he really came on his own, but I really love his Alex-Toth-esque graphics of Batman Year One, too... There he becomes an artist in full command of his skills, and the brush work is awesome. He's one of the best DD artists ever and I'd like to see him again in #100 or any other issue, he.

Incidentally, any of you have seen his "City of Glass", the comic he made with Paul Auster?

I'd like to see Cary Nord and Rick Leonardi, too

Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria wrote:

I'd like to see Cary Nord.

Yes, so would I. I would even suggest the see what his DD would look like minus the inks as he does with Conan. DD, as a title, has been all about inks (as much as the color) to set the atmosphere, but I'd welcome a page or two under Nord without the inks.

C.
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, I know this is a nearly impossible request (and most certainly for #100), but I'll definitely love to see an issue of Daredevil written/drawn by Jaime Hernandez (and another by Beto).

I know it is an odd proposition, but I'd really like to see a story in which Dd and his supporting cast and featured baddies get the special loving treatment that Los Bros Hernandez give to their girls and boys of Hoppers and Palomar.

A clash of worlds, I know... But what would you give to see Daredevil and Atoma (otherwise known as Penny Century) side by side?

Pete
Fall From Grace

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton Blind Love wrote:

DD, as a title, has been all about inks (as much as the color) to set the atmosphere, ...

C.

Indeed. All this talk of great artists of the past can sometimes overlook the other great contributers to the look of the title. I always liked Bob Browns stuff on DD, but it looked even more amazing when Janson inked. Klaus did some great things with Gil Kanes few issues as well, and then the Miller/Janson look speaks for itself.

As for Colan, after a few dodgy issues early on, he really hits his stride around #25 with the Leap Frog and then doesn't look back. The best DD artist ever, probably, but the inker had a lot to do with the look of his pencils. For me, Colan/Palmer on DD were unbeatable, and I just wish this team had as long a run on DD as they did on Tomb Of Dracula. Whoever it was that inked most of the Thomas/Colan stuff as well did a stellar job. Sid Shores?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: