Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Murdock... Piano Man?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumonji wrote:
Actually, the powers profile on Marvel's page mentions that he can sense all kinds of radiatio (...)I'm not sure what source that information on the Marvel profile is taken from since I've never seen it anywhere else (and those profiles work like wikis, right?)

yes, these profiles are wikis... so I wouldn't say he has any microwave-related power, LOL.

I'd settle for the classic "enhanced senses plus radar".

jumonji wrote:
Gloria wrote:
There are many "Iffy" DD moments, but they could get even "iffier"!

They certainly could. Laughing

In "Born Again" he was able to tell when a Hamburger was OK to be served: What if, Daredevil had been "the Cook without fear"?

jumonji wrote:
Francesco wrote:
In my mind, I pictured that fanfic drawn in the style of Giffen-Maguire.

I actually had to look them up. I'm such a rookie at this game.

Check this Wink

"Para la cuesta arriba quiero mi burro, que la cuesta abajo yo me la subo"
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria wrote:

In "Born Again" he was able to tell when a Hamburger was OK to be served: What if, Daredevil had been "the Cook without fear"?

Laughing Although, that's one "power" that actually makes sense! I can imagine him being quite a good cook, actually (with that heightened sense of taste and everything). He cooked dinner for Milla during the last arc, right? I would have loved to see what he made. As for his super-powered taste buds, I always thought that bit about how he can tell how many grains of salt are on a pretzel was really funny. I mean, if we're talking about the grains of salt that are normally on pretzels (the really big ones) I bet most people could tell just by counting them with the tip of the tongue! Cool

Gloria wrote:
jumonji wrote:
Francesco wrote:
In my mind, I pictured that fanfic drawn in the style of Giffen-Maguire.

I actually had to look them up. I'm such a rookie at this game.

Check this Wink

Thanks! I totally see what you guys mean. Wink
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Sequel! Reply with quote

There is now a sequel to Revenge by Deodorant entitled Grown Men in Costume. It gives us more of a background on Dakota's ties to the gorilla-gram business and her and Matt's respective takes on Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. It also features plenty of pop culture references. Foggy guest stars in the last third of the story. The link can be found HERE.
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh Please! Shall it be part of a trilogy? I loved it!

I know some might think that in the noir & gritty world of Daredevil there is no place for humour, yet I think that this suited all the characters fine.

There's good playing with both the facts of Matt being blind but having all the other senses enhanced: i.e. he can't see what's on a computer screen (“So, does this show come with audio commentary or what?”), but can guess where Foggy has been eating just for the residual flavours (I dig Foggy's remark “You are such a show-off")... Oh and "second-hand smoke", ha, ha, well put Wink

I loved Dakota being there. Her sense of humour is evident in the Marvel series, but here it is nicely displayed... Incidentally, I recall a CSI episode which makes reference to a weird hobby to which you refer in the fanfic (possibly the most bizarre CSI episode ever... and that's saying a lot!)

Oh, and I 'd love to hear Foggy's rendition of "Animal House". I bet he must be a terrific audio commentator! (incidentally, I think that a flashback story about Matt & Foggy going to a Movie show could be interesting... I am anticipating what his comments could for all types of films, from "Gone with the wind" to a Bergman flick)

P.S.: For a brief moment, I had a mental image of Matt's new "Cookie Monster" costume Laughing

jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh Please! Shall it be part of a trilogy? I loved it!

Well, thanks for the great review! Laughing This may very well turn into a trilogy, although I really don't have any solid plans for what I'd do with the next one. But, then again, I didn't know I was going to write a second one even two days ago. It just sort of came to me I guess. So, yes I'm hoping that a third one will come to me too.

Gloria wrote:

I know some might think that in the noir & gritty world of Daredevil there is no place for humour, yet I think that this suited all the characters fine.

Yes, I think people who have only read Volume 2 (although Matt has had plenty of humorous moments in Vol 2, as well) may think that this is totally out of character for him, but to me this is what his witty tone sounds like. Not like Spidey at all, but kind of an understated dry sense of humor with the occasional self-depricating remark.

Gloria wrote:

There's good playing with both the facts of Matt being blind but having all the other senses enhanced: i.e. he can't see what's on a computer screen (“So, does this show come with audio commentary or what?”), but can guess where Foggy has been eating just for the residual flavours (I dig Foggy's remark “You are such a show-off")... Oh and "second-hand smoke", ha, ha, well put Wink

Thanks! I try to play with both parts of the equation, including the odd radar moment (like Matt knowing that they are shaking their heads behind his back). I always figured that the two main strengths of the radar were 1) that it's 360 degrees, and 2) that it is particularly sensitive to movement (which I guess is why it must be so darn hard to take him by surprise). On the flip side, and going by the MUH definition, the resolution of it is pretty bad. Hmm, I might have to explore the radar in more detail at a later point (right now I'm thinking of it as having really long invisible whiskers all around your head...Wink)
And I thought getting the "fumes" of what someone had eaten was kind of like second-hand smoke, so I had to put that in there.Smile

Gloria wrote:

I loved Dakota being there. Her sense of humour is evident in the Marvel series, but here it is nicely displayed... Incidentally, I recall a CSI episode which makes reference to a weird hobby to which you refer in the fanfic (possibly the most bizarre CSI episode ever... and that's saying a lot!)

Yes, I saw that episode too (where do you think I got the idea? Laughing), but I had to do some additonal research as well, which wasn't too hard. Me and one of my best friends make a hobby out of recording weird fringe phenomena, so I definitely didn't have a problem remembering that CSI episode.

Gloria wrote:

Oh, and I 'd love to hear Foggy's rendition of "Animal House". I bet he must be a terrific audio commentator! (incidentally, I think that a flashback story about Matt & Foggy going to a Movie show could be interesting... I am anticipating what his comments could for all types of films, from "Gone with the wind" to a Bergman flick)

I actually was playing with the idea of having Matt mention Gone With the Wind, or The Seventh Seal, before realizing that 1) Why would a couple of guys in college watch Gone With the Wind, and 2) How would Matt watch a movie with subtitles? Being Swedish myself (and thus able to watch a Bergman movie without subtitles), it took me a few seconds to realize why The Seventh Seal would be a problem.

Gloria wrote:

P.S.: For a brief moment, I had a mental image of Matt's new "Cookie Monster" costume Laughing

Laughing For some reason I tend to think that copyright infringement would be the least of his problems should he don a cookie monster costume. I think it would seriously cramp his style, and he probably wouldn't be able to move very well. On the other hand, at least he wouldn't have to cut eye holes in the suit, so that wouldn't be a problem. Cool
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumonji wrote:
Yes, I think people who have only read Volume 2 (although Matt has had plenty of humorous moments in Vol 2, as well) may think that this is totally out of character for him, but to me this is what his witty tone sounds like. Not like Spidey at all, but kind of an understated dry sense of humor with the occasional self-depricating remark.

Yes, apart from the early swashbuckling times, we had a smiling Matt during Karl Kesel's tenure, and smiles could become Matt as well... And in more recent times, Bendis writing was humorous quite often in the way you have described.

jumonji wrote:
actually was playing with the idea of having Matt mention Gone With the Wind, or The Seventh Seal, before realizing that 1) Why would a couple of guys in college watch Gone With the Wind, and 2) How would Matt watch a movie with subtitles? Being Swedish myself (and thus able to watch a Bergman movie without subtitles), it took me a few seconds to realize why The Seventh Seal would be a problem.

Re Gone with the Wind: Well, what tells you that a couple of college students wouldn't like to watch good classic films?

"Whoah, Matt! Scarlett just drank from a bottle of Eau de Cologne!"
"Mmnph! Snort! Nelson, stop pulling my leg!"

Or imagine that one:
"Geez, it turns out that Rosebud was a sled!"
"Now, seriously! "

Mmmh...re Bergman you're right! I forgot the fact that foreign films in the US are mostly shown subtitled. In my country dubbing is the rule and subtitles the exception, so I forgot that it's not like that elsewhere.

Yet, let's suppose that foreign films were shown dubbed in the USA... The audio-description of uncle Carl's "Christmas Concerto" to his nephews and nieces in "Fanny och Alexander" could be a riot!

jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria wrote:
jumonji wrote:
actually was playing with the idea of having Matt mention Gone With the Wind, or The Seventh Seal, before realizing that 1) Why would a couple of guys in college watch Gone With the Wind, and 2) How would Matt watch a movie with subtitles? Being Swedish myself (and thus able to watch a Bergman movie without subtitles), it took me a few seconds to realize why The Seventh Seal would be a problem.

Re Gone with the Wind: Well, what tells you that a couple of college students wouldn't like to watch good classic films?

"Whoah, Matt! Scarlett just drank from a bottle of Eau de Cologne!"
"Mmnph! Snort! Nelson, stop pulling my leg!"

Or imagine that one:
"Geez, it turns out that Rosebud was a sled!"
"Now, seriously! "

Mmmh...re Bergman you're right! I forgot the fact that foreign films in the US are mostly shown subtitled. In my country dubbing is the rule and subtitles the exception, so I forgot that it's not like that elsewhere.

Yet, let's suppose that foreign films were shown dubbed in the USA... The audio-description of uncle Carl's "Christmas Concerto" to his nephews and nieces in "Fanny och Alexander" could be a riot!

You know, I was thinking of putting some movie commentary stuff in the other fic I'm sort of working on (the one about Matt and Foggy in college called "Hung over"), with the premise being that renting a movie would be a typical thing to do after an evening of too much drinking (this fic also pretty much explains why we've never seen Matt drunk since...). I still don't think that I'm going to have them watch Gone with the Wind, though. I'm sure they like the classics, but I think they might go for something slightly more macho.Smile

As for subtitles, all of Scandinavia has always only used subtitles except for children's movies which are usually released in two versions in movie theaters (one dubbed, one subtitled). I know many Americans who absolutely can't stand subtitles, and don't want to watch foreign language movies because of it. I say there's a certain technique to it that you have to master, but it doesn't take very long so people should just give themselves a chance to get used to it. Although, I'm suddenly very curious to hear what Fanny and Alexander sounds like in Spanish. I always liked that that movie was shot in Uppsala, where I used to live (I went to the University of Uppsala), so all the scenery is very familiar. It's a pretty weird movie though. As is most of Bergman's stuff in my opinion...Wink

I am also happy to tell you that the third part of the trilogy has now "come" to me. It will be a two-part Christmas special that I intend to post in early December. The set-up is a Christmas dinner at the Murdock's where we get to hear Matt talk about what happened on the day of the delivery (he "watches" from across the street), and the subsequent fall-out. Knowing me, all the parties involved will have some kind of really random conversation about a zillion other things as well (but that's how conversations usually go in real life, I guess).Cool
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I go on I must confess that the whole audio-commentary thing is having evil side effercts on me... Last nigfht I was watching "Victor/victoria" in DVD and I couldn't help "comments" coming to my mind during all the duration of the film.Laughing

jumonji wrote:
I still don't think that I'm going to have them watch Gone with the Wind, though. I'm sure they like the classics, but I think they might go for something slightly more macho.Smile

AaaAaW! You mean they won't be watching "Little Women"? LOL

I was thinking that maybe you had in mind them watching "I am curious"... but then I considered that subtitle issues might make it difficult Wink

jumonji wrote:
As for subtitles, all of Scandinavia has always only used subtitles except for children's movies which are usually released in two versions in movie theaters (one dubbed, one subtitled). I know many Americans who absolutely can't stand subtitles, and don't want to watch foreign language movies because of it. I say there's a certain technique to it that you have to master, but it doesn't take very long so people should just give themselves a chance to get used to it. Although, I'm suddenly very curious to hear what Fanny and Alexander sounds like in Spanish. I always liked that that movie was shot in Uppsala, where I used to live (I went to the University of Uppsala), so all the scenery is very familiar. It's a pretty weird movie though. As is most of Bergman's stuff in my opinion...Wink

It is believed that the poor level of English in Spain is due to the fact that films and TV series, etc are mostly dubbed.

When talking with people about teh subject, you often get the answer that they prefer the dubbed versions because "it's not so tiring" (and then they tella you how the enlisted again in another English school to see if this time they will be able to finally learn some English).

I admit that Spanish dubbing actors are excellent, but I find more satisfying the original version: at the beginning it's a bit difficult, as you have to get used to read the subtitles quick enough to be able to follow as well the rest of things going on in teh screen... But once you get the habit, it's very satisfying... the performances are usually much better and expressive with the original actors' voices...

My first experience watching a subtitled film was "the African Queen"... and I swear that when I heard Katherine Hepburn asking Bogart to "please make a tor-peedo" I realized that watching her again dubbed in a film would be frustrating.

And again, how can one properly dub Toshiro Mifune's grand roars?

Re Bergman... I think I have seen a good number of his flms as his cultural reputation made watching them a "must". Now that I'm Thinking, I don't recall having seen other swedish films beyond Bergman! with the possible exception of the Oscar-nominated "Under Solen", whose director, Colin Nutley is British (BTW I loved Rolf Lassgard there!), and the hilarious "Kopps". I also loved Viktor Sjostrom's "The Wind", t(though it was done in Hollywood).

(I have seen other Northern films, but then Aki Kaurismäki is Finnish and Carl Dreyer is Dannish)

jumonji wrote:
I am also happy to tell you that the third part of the trilogy has now "come" to me.

That's good news... the two first installments were such fun to read. Let us know when the story is ready

jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the sequel to Revenge by Deodorant and Grown Men in Costume is now up on Fanfiction.net. It's HUGE (four times longer than Revenge by Deodorant if that tells you anything) and contains more of a mix between drama and comedy. And just to make Gloria happy I've included Matt playing the piano (hey, does that mean this actually belongs in this thread?) and a reference to Gone with the Wind.

So, if you want to learn about what Danny Rand's favorite hobby is, what happened with Miss Piggy, the real reason Mr. Ramirez doesn't like blind people (well, he doesn't like anyone), Foggy's special Christmas present and who Matt's secret Santa is, then head over here:

Secret Santa
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say that I liked the third part of this trilogy very much... and being right now both under zero and not being able to spend much in heating, a heartwarming yuletide tale is just what I need.

This story was much like the actual Xmas meeting one has with the family: the meal, and then the afternoon and the evening where people threads on diverse/random subjects, as well as the inevitable "well, here we are together again this year" theme. As in a long afternoon/evening, there is just so much to comment about that I can only say -to put it shortly": I enjoyed it a lot.

I laughed at Matt's suggestion to Milla about how to spend the time while waiting for the guests,

You captured Becky fine: She's more uncomfortable about her friends' feelings than about the actual stupid remark about her being on wheelchair. The Foggy/Dakota Annie Oakley/Frank Butler-style shodwown has a clear winner, to me: I am sure Miss North would be able to lift, not just Becky, but Mr. Nelson's considerable bulk as well.

Oh, and I loved the Xmas presents:

Foggy's, of course, is a riot (and very much the type of present he would make in the regular series as well, LOL)... The "live" feature to be added to the "recorded" one could be, well... the bomb!

And, hum, I'm sure that Dakota chose her presents carefully, and with the best of intentions, but there's such a lot of stuff (and, indeed, literature!) about privates eyes, that she'll get retaliation (à la Stephen Strange) on the nest "family" reunion.

And, hum... a guy jumping around in yellow slippers must be very, very secure of his sexuality, LOL

jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria wrote:
I must say that I liked the third part of this trilogy very much... and being right now both under zero and not being able to spend much in heating, a heartwarming yuletide tale is just what I need.

My best friend once spent an entire winter in Spain and her biggest complaint was how cold it was, so I can imagine. It's kind of how it gets unbearably hot in Sweden for a couple of weeks every summer because people don't have air conditioning (but oh boy, do we have great indoor heating during the winter...). Wink

Well, I'm glad you liked the story. I just kind of let them have little conversations in my head and then write down what they say and this is what happens. Weird and random, but that's how conversations usually go (at least between me and my friends...) and because this piece was longer it felt okay to have it be both funny and serious. We'll see what I come up with for my next fic. I've definitely become addicted to it. Probably has to be mostly "out of costume" though since I'm pretty sure I can't write action scenes. Wink
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumonji wrote:
My best friend once spent an entire winter in Spain and her biggest complaint was how cold it was, so I can imagine. It's kind of how it gets unbearably hot in Sweden for a couple of weeks every summer because people don't have air conditioning (but oh boy, do we have great indoor heating during the winter...). Wink

I confess a myth has fallen: I thought that Norse people were more resistant to cold than latins like me... I thought Viking genes were a mighty factor to resist cold Northern winters, but now I see it's nost a factor of good heating systems, and possibly to architects building homes bearing in mind the actual climatic conditions that their dwellers will have to live under (which is something our fancy modern latin architects still have to learn).

jumonji wrote:
Well, I'm glad you liked the story. I just kind of let them have little conversations in my head and then write down what they say and this is what happens. Weird and random, but that's how conversations usually go (at least between me and my friends...) and because this piece was longer it felt okay to have it be both funny and serious. We'll see what I come up with for my next fic. I've definitely become addicted to it. Probably has to be mostly "out of costume" though since I'm pretty sure I can't write action scenes. Wink

Don't worry about teh action scenes... I'm sure that, whenever a writer wants a good one, he just delineates it and leaves the artist to effectivelt portray it (yes, in action scenes, good visuals stick out).

As for the dialogue, well, It's fine for me! In a written story you can afford to be more extensive about it, as comics tend to be more syntetic in that regard (too much dialogue makes a comic seem overloaded, or forces "decompressive storytelling, LOL). As a matter of fact, the way you make them talk seems very consistent with the way one would imagine them to talk... Brubaker says that, when writing the stories, he always "lets" the characters speak in his mind (no wonder their lines sound so natural).

Anyway, I liked the fic. It's not only respectful with regular comics continuity (something I really appreciate in fanfics), but there are also nods so some other remarkable fanfics (or so I imagine: darediva wrote a fine fanfic about Matt and Foggy spending a Xmas together while at college, and I thought that you had it in mind when writing the prologue of the story)

jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria wrote:
It's not only respectful with regular comics continuity (something I really appreciate in fanfics), but there are also nods so some other remarkable fanfics (or so I imagine: darediva wrote a fine fanfic about Matt and Foggy spending a Xmas together while at college, and I thought that you had it in mind when writing the prologue of teh story)

I agree that fanfics have to respect continuity, so I'm kind of picky about that. When it comes to Darediva's fic, I actually wasn't thinking of that when I wrote it (although I've read it and liked it a lot), but saw it as a consequence of Matt's father dying. I know he supposedly dies while Matt is in law school (depending on which continuity you adhere to, I suppose), but it's before he graduates so I was thinking that there would at least be a couple of years there where I couldn't think of any other place for him to spend Christmas than at the Nelsons' since he doesn't have any other family.
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumonji wrote:
I agree that fanfics have to respect continuity, so I'm kind of picky about that.

I agree with you on that. You can't really have "continuity police" fining the wrong-doers, though... because, anyway, fanfic belongs to the domain of imagination, so people is free to imagine their favourite characters as they please. Having said that, it is still relevant to me that when a character stops behaving like he/she "should" he/she becomes something very different, a figment of the fanfic's writer imagination, but no longer the characters as they are supposed to be.

While I think variations are interesting, I don't really like it when fanfics aren't consistent at all with the original comics, even inconsistent with the movieverse verions (which are already not-too-consistent with the original comics).

I mean, If someone wrote Scott Summers having an affair with Matt just after Jean Grey's death, I, hum, would think the writer has taken great liberties with either character or the DD or X-Men stories continuity in general... But I digress...

Darediva
Wake Up

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria wrote:

Anyway, I liked the fic. It's not only respectful with regular comics continuity (something I really appreciate in fanfics), but there are also nods so some other remarkable fanfics (or so I imagine: darediva wrote a fine fanfic about Matt and Foggy spending a Xmas together while at college, and I thought that you had it in mind when writing the prologue of the story)

Actually, moms5thchild wrote the fanfic about Matt and Foggy at Christmas. I like her story a lot, also, but let me set that record straight.

Those who throw dirt merely lose ground.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: