Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

DD Annuals and others...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drazaq
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: DD Annuals and others... Reply with quote

Hello,
Its new thread time...woohoo!

Okay, as I have only recently got back into comics in the last couple of years I have had to do lots of research and figure out the continuity, why some characters have multiple titles and suitable jump-on points. To make this easier I stick to purchasing TPBs. However, most TPBs seem to eliminate the annual when being compiled.
What I would like to know is:
Are they essential reading?
Why are they excluded?
Are one-shots ever compiled?

Stories like DD:Father etc...are they essential reading, or essentially an interesting aside from main continuity?

As usual, answers on a postcard to the usual address! Razz
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most DD Annuals I have read are independent. I mean, they have no connection with an ongoing story in the regular series (that is when they were not reprints), even though events taking place in annuals may be referred to later.

Personally, some of the DD annuals I have it's because they "came in the pack" with other comics (I keep them strictly for completism).

Re one-shots: There are some very good ones, like the Harlan Ellison stories during the O'Neil run, or the "American Dreamer" story (#236) by Ann Nocenti/Barry Windsor Smith. In my point of view, worth a reprint... however, I think they won't until included in a "Marvel Essentials" volume.

Re "DD Father" I hope it's only an aside from main continuity. I pray with my bended knees that the events in it don't become canon (otherwise we might get in the future something like... like the retconned origins of Typhoid Mary Shocked... HELP! )

"Para la cuesta arriba quiero mi burro, que la cuesta abajo yo me la subo"
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria wrote:
Re "DD Father" I hope it's only an aside from main continuity. I pray with my bended knees that the events in it don't become canon (otherwise we might get in the future something like... like the retconned origins of Typhoid Mary Shocked... HELP! )

I totally agree with you on this one. While I liked this mini-series okay, I prefer to think of it as more of an "What if" story than anything that actually belongs in regular continuity.
Drazaq
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Gloria/jumonji. I have bought the first two Essentials volumes, so I guess I will continue to do so and hope for decent annuals/one-shots to be included in the volume. You both seem to have read a HUGE amount of DD material...far more than me. Where do you keep all this stuff? I mean, I assume you read more than just DD exclusively. I am fast running out of space, what with reading DD, Y:The Last Man, Spidey and others. I must have a good £500 worth of trades in my room!
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drazaq wrote:
I assume you read more than just DD exclusively. I am fast running out of space, what with reading DD, Y:The Last Man, Spidey and others. I must have a good £500 worth of trades in my room!

Actually, DD is the only comic book I read currently, but I used to read a lot of other comic books as a kid. As for space, I have a HUGE book collection (at least for someone my age, I'm twenty-nine) because I generally like books. I like to look at them, smell them (maybe something DD enjoys as well, who knows?), and read them. I bought new copies of all of my college text books with the intention of keeping them for my collection. I'm actually considering getting another book case because I'm running out of space.

I'm actually a fairly new DD fan, but yes, I've covered almost all of the history. And while I don't own copies of everything, I've probably spent way to much money on DD stuff. Smile
Drazaq
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why DD alone? Other characters not good enough for you? I realise this is a DD forum and all...but I'm sure if you mention other characters you wont get kicked off. I dont know Kuljit personally but I doubt he is THAT bad. Maybe its coz your a *ahem* more mature reader...not as much time to read. Personally I could read comics all day, every day. I even like a lot of the Essentials era stuff...cheesiness aside. I recommend Planet Huk if you're looking for a nice epic read. Great stuff. Cool
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows? I might branch into other stuff as well, but the comic book market in Sweden isn't exactly huge (and as a translator myself, I HATE reading translated stuff, since I just keep translating it back in my head) so one character is enough for me at the moment. With my having to buy everything online and all...

Besides, I've heard somewhere that it's fairly common for DD readers to be exclusive DD readers. This may be in part because there aren't that many cross-overs events in DD and he works really well on his own. I do try to stay on top of what other relevant characters in the Marvel Universe are doing though, so I don't miss anything important. For that, there's always Wikipedia and Marvel.com. I read Spiderman and Superman when I was younger though, but the Swedish-language version of Superman was cancelled when I was twelve, and that was before the Internet and before my English was good enough to read the original versions of the comics. I guess, I just moved on to different things. But now I'm back with a vengeance! Smile
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drazaq wrote:
Why DD alone?

In my case, it's not DD alone... but little beyond DD, super-hero wise.

The reason: budget.

When one hasn't much money for vices and recreation, one is forced to be picky about one's choices. I like superhero comics, but currently I'm only following regularly four Marvel collections... I like to read indies, European and Japanese comics as well, so I have to distribute the available money as wisely as possible.

As for other things, I agree with Jumonji that one of the attractives of Daredevil is that, albeit belonging to the MU, he works pretty well without being involved (or thrown) into "big events"... In fact, it was the over-involvement in big events that killed my love for Spiderman and mutants. Plus, I like his non-cosmic, down-to-earth type of surroundings/adventures: the people closer to him are mostly plain humans (even if those plain humans are pretty capable of kicking ass like Dakota)

"Para la cuesta arriba quiero mi burro, que la cuesta abajo yo me la subo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: