Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Secondary Characters you'd like to see back!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:46 pm    Post subject: Secondary Characters you'd like to see back! Reply with quote

It may be just my opinion, but I think that secondary characters are the spice of Daredevil... I just love the human tapestry behind the hero.

The recent, and successful, re-incorporation of Becky Blake into the series, and the recovery of MU character Dakota North have me pondering about the potential of "retired" secondary characters of the series (or the MU).

Why don't we make a list of the Guys and Girls we'd like to see back?

Here's my list:
- Willie Lincoln: blinded war veteran. Policeman. DA Assistant
- Kathy Malper: ass-kicking prosecutor. Baseball fanatic.
- Maxine Lavender: Assistant DA. She takes no sh*t from anyone... not even from the Stilt-man (yes, even tho´it was just Turk)
- Judith "Macabre" Gettings: Forensic. Cynical. Likes Chewing Gum. Briefly seen in Chichester's DD #301, but she sure made an impression on me!
- Rosalind "Razor" Sharpe: Lawyer, Mother?, BADASS
- Debbie Harris (formerly Nelson): Well, not that I am rooting to see her back (Does anyone?), but... she might be interesting material for a story.
- Deuce, the devil dog: Please, please, please... I wanna see him do his doggy tricks! Weasel and Blind Al doesn't seem to care much about him... Bring back Deuce with the one that cares for him!
- Grotto: What's he doing now?

"Para la cuesta arriba quiero mi burro, que la cuesta abajo yo me la subo"
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Karen.

Damnit, yer right!

I started the thread thinking of characters that were still alive, and readily available... however, yes, I'd like Karen to be alive and back.

And Glorianna, too.

Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one:
Ivan: Surrogate parent figure for Natasha Romanoff. Fan of Humphrey Bogart. War veteran with a heart of gold

Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St. Mary's Church group, especially the reverend, the ex-junkie and Doris (I found her particularly hot).
the gael
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willie lincoln
Kate Vinokur
rozalind " razor " sharpe
Debbie Harris ( I also think that there is some unfinished buziness with the character )
Mickey ( from the man without fear )
And i know that I may be in the minority, but I would like to see what happened to darla and ralf, the fatboys.

And, of course, the poor karen Sad
Clayton Blind Love
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen, eh? Well, maybe. It is just that right now is not a great time. Skrulls. Too much speculation in already quite speculative universe. One lover is already a skrull and there are a ton of questions already. I really don't want Marvel to create a circus featuring Matt's old flames. It is circus enough.

C.
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was recently stated that DD hasn't a large/interesting gallery of rogues, and this may be right... but you all are demonstrating here that DD sure has a good number of interesting secondary characters worth recovering.

I will add two more suggestions:
Candace Nelson: I don't know if she ever finished her journalism studies, and seems only devoted to the party-girl life right now, but it is always nice to see him drop for a visit to his big brother (well, half-brother)... in only for the stark (and amusing) contrast. I'm just thinking of Candace raiding NY discotheques along with Lily Lucca... O, the damage they could cause!

Yuriko Oyama: a.k.a. Lady Deathstrike... Incidentally, another old flame of Matt, even if only due to freezing circumstances. Well, she might be more in a "villain" rooster than in "secondary character" one. Still, don't you ache about this character being "stolen" by mutant books? they have enough villains of their own, I believe Mad

the gael wrote:
Willie lincoln
Kate Vinokur
(...)
Debbie Harris ( I also think that there is some unfinished buziness with the character )
Mickey ( from the man without fear )
And i know that I may be in the minority, but I would like to see what happened to darla and ralf, the fatboys.

And, of course, the poor karen Sad

No you're not in minority about the Fatboys... I'd sure like to see them again in their skateboards around Hell's Kitchen.
Mickey was an interesting character, too. I wonder if she's not used because of some Miller clause, or the story having a different continuity from the classic origins.

Kate Vinokur! Yes, indeed! and Elaine and Miss Barbato, too!
I wonder how Miss Vinokur must feel right now about the reveal of Matt=DD, I think she must be one of the people that has actual knowledge that it is true and not just a tabloid urban legend/FBI frame.

And yes, I think that O'Neil had something in store for Debbie, which remained unfinished as other subplots of his run. To me, a reconciliation with Foggy is impossible, but she was around in the series for quite a long time, so I think there could be good stories featuring her.

Clayton Blind Love wrote:
Karen, eh? Well, maybe. It is just that right now is not a great time. Skrulls. Too much speculation in already quite speculative universe. One lover is already a skrull and there are a ton of questions already. I really don't want Marvel to create a circus featuring Matt's old flames. It is circus enough.

Right, I'm not saying her to come back now, and more in the current circumstances, as you say... The Skrull show looks pretty frightening already and we have only witnessed the early stages.

Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmh... I was just thinking...

It's been a long time since we last saw Sister Maggie, isn't it?

And the curious thing is, no character beyond Matt -that I'm aware- knows about her special link with him... Not even Karen did.

jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria wrote:

I wonder how she'd feel about the massive amount of lying he's had to do in the last few years. It's certainly not the first time he's lied about not being Daredevil (and gone to fairly extreme lengths to protect his identity), but still...

I loved Karen, especially from the late 90's (well, until she was killed off...), but I think that, as a general rule, dead people should stay dead.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of Foggy's family members back. His sister is a lot of fun, and I really like Rosalyn Sharpe. She should totally stay out of the law practice of Nelson & Murdock (or should I say Nelson, Blake & Murdock), but she would work well as the sinister presence who makes the odd appearance every now and then. Maybe there should be a Razor Sharpe vs Mrs Nelson mud wrestling match for the title of "Foggy's real mother." No, I take that back. Better not go there...
the truebeliever
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grotto all the way. I miss the guy. With Turk hogging all the spotlight when it comes to thugs I miss his slower partner. I loved the Rocky and Mugsy from Loony Toons feel they always had between them. I would just like to see Grotto again.
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumonji wrote:
Gloria wrote:

I wonder how she'd feel about the massive amount of lying he's had to do in the last few years. It's certainly not the first time he's lied about not being Daredevil (and gone to fairly extreme lengths to protect his identity), but still...

My opinion is that Sister Maggie is, after all, a practical woman: lying in behalf of Daredevil must seem to her the lesser evil. And she, after all, "lied" to her son for a long time, as he believed her dead, and she was of course living, and not too far from him.

And of course, If she sins, she only must go to Confession to be absolved .

jumonji wrote:
...and I really like Rosalyn Sharpe. She should totally stay out of the law practice of Nelson & Murdock (or should I say Nelson, Blake & Murdock), but she would work well as the sinister presence who makes the odd appearance every now and then.

I doubt we'll ever see her back as an associate. Matt never liked to work with her, and Foggy submitted to her due to the call of blood, but after she abandoned her son for a second time, I doubt he feels now enticed to work with "mum" again.

Her appearance in "Parts of a Hole" defending the Kingping an interesting guideline for further appearances. And she must be a bit pissed about our favorite Law partners for all the "Daredevil's Pal" charade they put in front of her.

jumonji wrote:
Maybe there should be a Razor Sharpe vs Mrs Nelson mud wrestling match for the title of "Foggy's real mother." No, I take that back. Better not go there...

You know, before reading "No, I take that back", I had a flash of both women in the heat of a fierce hairpulling catfight

the truebeliever wrote:
Grotto all the way. I miss the guy. With Turk hogging all the spotlight when it comes to thugs I miss his slower partner.

You know, I suspect he was not as dumb as he seemed and has gone "legit": this, I suppose must be why we've seen Turk on his own of late... Or maybe Brubaker prefers to fill the hole left by Grotto with Merv and Chico. Or... Maybe Marvel got it wrong and when Miller said "please don't use Elektra again" they understood "Please don't use Grotto again"

Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A character which I think would be interesting to see again: Orestez Natchios, Elektra's older brother.

I know this may be a controversial proposal, since he is a post- Miller addition to the Elektra world. While I'm not a great fan of post-Miller Elektra stories myself, I think that Orestez is an interesting character, and, from Brubaker's writing in "Captain America" (i.e. the portrait of a good/bad boy as the Winter Soldier) I think he could make a good story featuring Orestez.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: