Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Random Vol 2 (Bendis) musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Random Vol 2 (Bendis) musings Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
jumonji wrote:
Besides, this message board has been a little sleepy lately, so what the heck.

Hey, it's not my fault if you guys play "the stupendous" when you read my name in the chat room (with the exclusion of Kuljit and C)

I promise to stop by the chat room next time you're in it, okay. Wink

Francesco wrote:
jumonji wrote:
3) The whole thing with the obstruction of justice charge

Well, after that, we are told that Matt was arrested by the FBI with numerous charges all related to being Daredevil, and all previous to the events in that storyarc. The whole point of the Murdock Papers affair by Fisk was "to lure DD in a specific place with a bait of some sort so that the FBI could capture him", and not "to give the FBI an excuse to capture DD".

Yeah, I know what you mean, but I still think it's far-fetched.

Francesco wrote:
jumonji wrote:

4) What's up with the timeline?

Keep in mind that Bont reveals to be 93 years old. If we assume that Matt is really young in those flashbacks, I think that the comic book time can be assumed both for him and Bont.

Again, I see your point, but even if Matt and Foggy were really young at that time, there is talk (somewhere...) of twenty years having gone by and I doubt that our favorite lawyers are supposed to be fourty-five years old.

Francesco wrote:
jumonji wrote:
I'm not saying he can't be shot, he most obviously can (he's human, he can get distracted or there can be too many bullets at once), but with the traditional radar sense it shouldn't have mattered much whether he could hear the shots being fired or not since he would feel the bullet approaching as it got closer.

I had a similar doubt some time ago, I even opened a topic about it. In the end I was convinced that there were a number of reasons why that couldn't happen. DD can dodge bullets because of his good reflexes (which work on 360°) AND because he can detect the exact moment when the trigger is being pulled and the position of the barrel for each shot fired (allowing predict the single trajectories).
In the case of Paladin's sniper shot, DD wasn't aware that he was being shot, because Paladin was too far. As soon as the bullet enetered in the radar's range, it was to late for him to react (bullets travel faster than the speed of sound). And this, still, assuming that it was a bullet, and not a laser beam or something even more sophisticated (like the Night Nurse pointed out to Elektra). Throw also in the mix the fact that hornhead was exhausted/shaken after the battle with Bullseye and the picture of him getting shot gets pretty much coherent.

You're absolutely right if we are assuming that the radar sense is based on sound (which it was when Bendis was writing it), but that was my point. I really didn't mind them getting rid of the "old" radar sense if they could have made the "new" radar sense make better sense. Instead of making his senses slightly more realistic (which I think would be a good thing because of the whole tone of the book) the result was almost the opposite in some ways. With the old radar sense, at least as I understand it, the reason behind DD's ability to dodge bullets wasn't only based on his ability to tell when the shots were going to be fired, but also because he can "feel" objects coming towards him (which reminds me of what happened a few issues back when Matt and Milla are eating in a restaurant and Matt feels the Gladiator's blades coming towards them). Well, who knows? Wink

PS. Would someone please count how many times I used the word "sense" in the last paragraph... Smile
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five, six if you count the plural. But don't worry, it made sense.

Quote:

I promise to stop by the chat room next time you're in it, okay. Wink

Smile

About the timeline stuff, I suppose that Bont stayed in prison for less than 10 years, unless it was stated otherwise. He already looked old in the "moiré flashback".

Indeed there were a number of weird things in the Golden Age arc. For example: Melvin punches Matt on a side, and he lands on that same side Exclamation.
Then, in another panel, he's on the ground but lying on a different side (he couldn't have flipped because he was chained to the chair).
Fixer, according to Bendis, doesn't die of heart attack but lives enough to go to jail and tell DD about Bont (unless DD isn't bluffing to have Bont confess).
The billy-club is the improved one, the extendable one with the cable, introduced with DD's red costume (unless this billy-club is shown here in its earliar appearence, right before DD switched to the red costume).
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
Indeed there were a number of weird things in the Golden Age arc. For example: Melvin punches Matt on a side, and he lands on that same side Exclamation.
Then, in another panel, he's on the ground but lying on a different side (he couldn't have flipped because he was chained to the chair).

Wow... That's all I can say. I never notice stuff like that. I don't often notice them in movies either. Keen eyes, I must say!

Francesco wrote:
Fixer, according to Bendis, doesn't die of heart attack but lives enough to go to jail and tell DD about Bont (unless DD isn't bluffing to have Bont confess).
The billy-club is the improved one, the extendable one with the cable, introduced with DD's red costume (unless this billy-club is shown here in its earliar appearence, right before DD switched to the red costume).

Again, I'm impressed by your attention to detail. I guess the billy club should have been the one with all the little gadgets in it too. Like a recording device, and those little nutrional supplements (although I think that came much later). I'm suddenly reminded of when his mask had a bunch of stuff in it too. Thank God they cut back on the wacky paraphernalia! Wink
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumonji wrote:

Wow... That's all I can say. I never notice stuff like that. I don't often notice them in movies either. Keen eyes, I must say!

Take that, Stanley!

Quote:
Again, I'm impressed by your attention to detail. I guess the billy club should have been the one with all the little gadgets in it too. Like a recording device, and those little nutrional supplements (although I think that came much later). I'm suddenly reminded of when his mask had a bunch of stuff in it too. Thank God they cut back on the wacky paraphernalia! Wink

Ya, even if I've never understood the purpose or functioning of that "reflector shield" shown in the blueprints. It sounded useful if nothing else.

Back on topic, I was left a bit disappointed by the fact that to this day Daredevil never got any revanche on Paladin for that sniper shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: