Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Cruel and Unusual, Indeed -spoilers-
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Cruel and Unusual, Indeed -spoilers- Reply with quote

Clearly I'm missing something. Over the months, while I trade wait, I see people on this board and in various reviews praise Bru. Everyone loves Bru. Why? I picked up Cruel and Unusual yesterday and wow....weak. So weak. Someone explain where I've gone wrong here:

Decompressed

Yes, yes Marvel titles are decompressed now. Stories stretch out a bit longer than they really need to. It's a bit about trades and it's a bit about how stories are told in comics these days. Even so...comon. I mean, really. The plot points in Cruel and Unusual wouldn't fill five lines. I know that there's character stuff in between but the sheer number of times plot points are repeated is crazy. My big complaint about the last trade was that the fact that Matt had to "be patient and under control" was repeated so many times it was absurd. In Cruel and Unusual there are a handful of things that were repeated over and over and over.

The one that really stuck out for me was when Matt goes to visit Big Ben for the first time. Matt figures out that Ben is innocent and that something is keeping him from saving himself. Fine. The a couple issues later Matt and Foggy go and visit Big Ben in the prison hospital. Matt figures out (again) that Ben is innocent and that something is keeping him from saying something. The hospital scene is entirely useless. From a story telling standpoint it's just repetition of the earlier scene.

Then there's the "bigger than you think" thing. It's like Bru had a bet that he could have every character discover and comment about the fact that things were bigger than they thought. It's repeated over and over and over again.

There's also a scene where the legal team gets together and after a few pages decides that they have to 1. prove Big Ben is innocent and 2. get Big Ben to agree. Well, obviously.

Plot = Fail

And then after slogging through the same issue three or four times we get the big wrap up. The FBI did it by threatening his son that no one knew about. Errrr. What?

First, the whole FBI thing is insane. So they did it to cover up a murder so they wouldn't blow Slaughters cover so he could catch terrorists? Leaving aside how ridiculous that is just on it's own...didn't the FBI show up with attack choppers to take out DD? Wouldn't that blow their cover?

More importantly, imagine that the ending was that the Kingpin did it. Or Vanessa. Or Doc Oc. Or anyone. The whole thing was a massive Deus Ex Machina. There were no hints that the FBI did it because of Slaughter and terrorists or whatever. There was no way any character or reader could have seen that coming. It was just an explaination barfed out by a character basically at random. That's not story telling at all.

Finally, so the kid that no one knew about was the key? Was that the point? But how did North find him? One scene she's looking at some checks. Next scene she's at a doorstep. Since how she went from A to B was the key to the whole thing you'd think you'd want to show a bit of it?

And why is Matt happy now? He didn't do a thing. Dakota could have and did handle it all by herself. And if the bad FBI people were just replaced when the truth came out why didn't that happen years ago?

What am I missing here?

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a semi-unrelated question. Did your TPB cointain issue 106 also? Because it said so in the description at amazon. However, they also said the previous TPB (Hell to Pay part 2) would've reprinted the Annual, which instead was nowhere to be found.
MurdockM
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's even more cruel and unusual is that in the copy of the TPB i got, somewhere towards the end in issue 110, after Matt receives the phonecall from Becky that Dakota's in the hospital, it jumps back to issue 109 where Dakota is knocking on Little Ben's apartment door and repeats every page up to where Matt receives the phone call. How does this trade end? And is mine the only copy that's like this?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So? Could anyone who already has the TPB please tell me if there's #106 in it or not?
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
So? Could anyone who already has the TPB please tell me if there's #106 in it or not?

It is.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumonji wrote:
Francesco wrote:

It is.

Thanks. You know I've grown strangely fond of that issue, and seeing that the HTP2 TPB didn't have the Annual, unlike it was said in the solicits, was a bit of a disappointment.
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francesco wrote:
jumonji wrote:
Francesco wrote:

It is.

Thanks. You know I've grown strangely fond of that issue, and seeing that the HTP2 TPB didn't have the Annual, unlike it was said in the solicits, was a bit of a disappointment.

Hey F, what solicits were you reading? The one I have in archive doesn't mention the annual at all.
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, you're right. I mean the product description.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the annual is in the next trade. It would make some sense because, as I understand it, Black Trarantula shows up in the next arc.

Why aren't you laughing?
Ian
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

I sort of agree with you man. I mean, I love Ed Brubaker's stuff, but that last story arc was kind of a lame one. When I spoke to Brubaker earlier in the year, I asked him about Matt getting back into the courtroom and he (The Bru) basically said "Yeah...but wait until the NEXT story arc!" It's almost as if "Cruel and Unusual" was simply a vehicle to get Matt to calm the hell down and stop moping around. As for the small details, I wouldn't get too wrapped up in that. Not all story arcs can be gold, but Bru and the Crew have been holding it down for a couple of years now and I think they're doing an admirable job.
"Show me a superhero without a first aid kit, an I'll show you a NUT!" (Daredevil #9)
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
James,

I sort of agree with you man. I mean, I love Ed Brubaker's stuff, but that last story arc was kind of a lame one. When I spoke to Brubaker earlier in the year, I asked him about Matt getting back into the courtroom and he (The Bru) basically said "Yeah...but wait until the NEXT story arc!" It's almost as if "Cruel and Unusual" was simply a vehicle to get Matt to calm the hell down and stop moping around. As for the small details, I wouldn't get too wrapped up in that. Not all story arcs can be gold, but Bru and the Crew have been holding it down for a couple of years now and I think they're doing an admirable job.

Yeah, but the thing is I haven't been blown away by his earlier arcs either. The whole Mr. Fear arc could have been two pages where Fear walks up to Milla, gasses her and then says "how do you like them apples?" as he goes to jail. Everything else in the arc was either a red herring or pointless.

And while I really liked The Devil Inside and Out Vol. 1, Volume 2 lost me. I appreciate that the whole "everyone knows how Matt is/wasn't he in jail?" thing had to be resolved but Vanessa just swung in from the clouds and fixed everything. It seems like every arc ends in a wave of exposition as some random character shows up and solves everything.

The fact that Bru's big plan is to have Matt stuck in legal trouble makes me sigh loudly.

Why aren't you laughing?
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
The whole Mr. Fear arc could have been two pages where Fear walks up to Milla, gasses her and then says "how do you like them apples?" as he goes to jail. Everything else in the arc was either a red herring or pointless.

I actually wrote a longer reply when you first posted this topic. Sadly, it was lost when my computer crashed and I didn't feel like rewriting everything.

Anyway, I think the simple truth is that Bru's style just isn't for you. There's nothing wrong with you, and there's nothing wrong with Brubaker. However, when you say that everything in the last arc and the one preceding it could be wrapped up in one paragraph - as you just did - I think that's true for most stories. I could sum up Kafka's The Metamorphosis in a couple of sentences. That doesn't mean nothing happens in it.

I've made no secret of being a much bigger fan of Bru's work than I was of Bendis's work. That doesn't mean that I didn't like Bendis. He's still on the short list of my favorite DD writers. What I don't understand is when die-hard Bendis fans (and I happen to know that you were quite a big fan of his) consider Brubaker's style to be too decompressed or that his stories are illogical. I'd be hard-pressed to find more continuity goofs than during Bendis's run and most of what he wrote was very decompressed. I'm glad I read all of the Bendis run in hardcovers because I think reading the monthly book at the time would have put me to sleep. However, when read as a whole, the Bendis stuff holds up incredibly well. I'm not bringing this up to say that you're wrong, I'm just thinking that it's more a matter of preferring a particular style than anything specific or tangible.

For me, Bru's work is definitely more about the journey than the destination. I thought the wrap-up in #110 was way too quick, and I was sort of expecting that by the end of #109, but I enjoyed the character work in the arc a great deal and that's what I took away from it.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumonji wrote:

I've made no secret of being a much bigger fan of Bru's work than I was of Bendis's work. That doesn't mean that I didn't like Bendis. He's still on the short list of my favorite DD writers. What I don't understand is when die-hard Bendis fans (and I happen to know that you were quite a big fan of his) consider Brubaker's style to be too decompressed or that his stories are illogical. I'd be hard-pressed to find more continuity goofs than during Bendis's run and most of what he wrote was very decompressed. I'm glad I read all of the Bendis run in hardcovers because I think reading the monthly book at the time would have put me to sleep. However, when read as a whole, the Bendis stuff holds up incredibly well. I'm not bringing this up to say that you're wrong, I'm just thinking that it's more a matter of preferring a particular style than anything specific or tangible.

I have nothing against stories being decompressed these days. Especially since I only read trades. I don't know how people who read floppies stand it. If I bought a comic and was greated with one new plot point I'd freak out.

As for Bendis' "continuity goofs"....well, not really. I admit that he made errors like Matt living in the wrong part of town or being able to lift a limo. Heck, the whole "who knew about Matt's powers and how" thing was pretty messed up. But for the most part the continuity errors were clashes with past stories. Like, many issues ago, when Bendis wasn't writing, Matt said "X" and now he's saying "Y". I've never been one to get too upset about that kind of stuff. To me, the important part was that, internally, his stories made sense. Anyone who pretends that continuity beyond a single book and a single run makes sense anymore doesn't know what Wolverine has been up to these days. See, with Bendis the characters had clear motivations and the plots played out as those various characters and motivations crossed paths and were confronted with one another.

Bru, on the other hand, seems to be writing stories where we just have various characters with random motivations crashing into each other. Honestly, no one could have ever guessed that the FBI was behind the whole thing in the last arc. Just as no one knew that Vanessa could fix Matt's life. These are just random things that happen. To me, part of the fun of experiencing any story is hoping for various things to happen or fearing that the opposite might. When random things just keep happening it's impossible to get invested in the story.

In the end though, it is just a matter of taste. It's not the worst DD I've ever read but I, for one, will be happy when new blood comes in.

Why aren't you laughing?
jumonji
Guardian Devil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting answer, JC. I can sort of see where you're coming from, I just don't see Bru's stories as being any more random than Bendis's.

As for continuity, I think DD continuity holds up fairly well, and it wasn't the minor stuff that bothered me with Bendis some of the time (though the way everyone suddenly knew all about how DD's powers worked certainly did), but the bigger things. Some of them were things that really did diminish my enjoyment of a particular arc, like nearly everything Elektra did and said - and claimed to have done and said - in The Murdock Papers. When it comes to random WTF things, I'd say the demon baby in Decalogue counts, and when exactly was Bont supposed to have looked into hiring Nelson and Murdock?

I think both Bendis and Bru have had a lot of moments where you go "wow, I never saw that one coming." With both writers, I've tended to be able to enjoy the twist though and I haven't felt that it's been a cop-out or anything too random. But, to each his own. I will say that the current arc is shaping up quite nicely. We'll see where it ends up.
Ian
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta admit that the new arc is shaping up nicely though. I'm having a GOOD TIME and I have The Bru to thank. Go Bru!
"Show me a superhero without a first aid kit, an I'll show you a NUT!" (Daredevil #9)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: