Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Yellow series...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bashua
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Yellow series... Reply with quote

Is there anyone who can tell me anything about the yellow series.. they seem to have a strange cover artwork and i can't find anything on this site about them?

Cheers

Bash Twisted Evil
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a miniseries written by Jeph Loeb and penciled by Tim Sale. The duo has already produced such miniseries about various marvel characters in which the charater is associated to a color, like "Hulk: Grey", "Spider-man: Blue" and most recently "Captain America: White" (it has gotten so self-referential that I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future they'll fed us "Luke Cage: Black").

Anyway, it is a retelling of DD's origins and of the character's early days in his yellow costume. Main themes of this miniseries are the impact of Jack Murdock's example on Matt's quest as Daredevil, with emphasis given to "boxing as a philosophy of live", the protagonist's first encounters with supervillains and also, in particular, the infamous love triangle Matt-Foggy-Karen.

I personally think this miniseries to be quite overrated.
Ian
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And by "overrated" he means "The greatest Daredevil miniseries ever. Possibly the best miniseries period." Seriously, run to the comic store and buy the trade immediately.
"Show me a superhero without a first aid kit, an I'll show you a NUT!" (Daredevil #9)
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
And by "overrated" he means "The greatest Daredevil miniseries ever. Possibly the best miniseries period." Seriously, run to the comic store and buy the trade immediately.

Well, maybe don't run to get the trade that quickly. I think a hardcover version is coming out pretty soon. I'd wait for that one.

Well, I would if it was any good. Which it isn't. Imagine Matt's origin story told by the happiest person in the whole, wide, wonderful world. It's a retread of ideas that have been done much, much better elsewhere.

So why can't you see the funny side?
Why aren't you laughing?
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
"The greatest Daredevil miniseries ever.

Probably there aren't many minis around... I mean, I just remember "Yellow" and "Father"... In that case "Yellow" is, beyond any doubt, the best DD mini ever (if I had to choose between jumping to a pool full of Sharks and reading "Father" again, I'd undoubtedly jump to the pool).

Jokes apart, Francesco already knows I personally think "Yellow" is rather nice, but certainly not among my top ten Dd stories (they should have drawn Foggy as the hot li'l potato he is, Razz )

But of course the best DD mini (as it could be considered, being quite a stand-alone story-arch) is "Born Again" (and I think this is beyond any subjective feelings)

"Para la cuesta arriba quiero mi burro, que la cuesta abajo yo me la subo"
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
Seriously, run to the comic store and buy the trade immediately.

And by that, he means run into the comic store and make sure not to buy it by mistake, because it's a waste of money.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloria wrote:
Ian wrote:
"The greatest Daredevil miniseries ever.

Probably there aren't many minis around... I mean, I just remember "Yellow" and "Father"... In that case "Yellow" is, beyond any doubt, the best DD mini ever (if I had to choose between jumping to a pool full of Sharks and reading "Father" again, I'd undoubtedly jump to the pool).

Jokes apart, Francesco already knows I personally think "Yellow" is rather nice, but certainly not among my top ten Dd stories (they should have drawn Foggy as the hot li'l potato he is, Razz )

But of course the best DD mini (as it could be considered, being quite a stand-alone story-arch) is "Born Again" (and I think this is beyond any subjective feelings)

Wait, really? First off, Born Again isn't a mini. It just isn't. So it can't be the best mini. I do agree it's the best DD story though.

You know what is a mini? Man Without Fear by Frank Miller. Covers same subject matter as Yellow but in a much better way and is awesome.

Why aren't you laughing?
Gloria
Redemption

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

james castle wrote:
Man Without Fear by Frank Miller. Covers same subject matter as Yellow but in a much better way and is awesome.

You're right... It must be because it was published as my place directly as one big volume that I didn't remember it as a mini.

And, yes, a much better option than Yellow and the pool of Sharks.

james castle wrote:

Wait, really? First off, Born Again isn't a mini. It just isn't. So it can't be the best mini.

(Aside in low voice: it was a cunning strategy to recommend Bash a much better read than Yellow)

"Para la cuesta arriba quiero mi burro, que la cuesta abajo yo me la subo"
Dimetre
Underboss

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a year before Daredevil: Yellow came out, I bought Daredevil Marvel Masterworks Volume 1, which features the first ten or so issues of volume 1.

Then, with much hoopla, Loeb and Sale release Daredevil: Yellow, and everyone is tripping over themselves piling superlative on top of superlative. But come on. Stan Lee wrote exactly six issues with Matt in the yellow costume. Daredevil: Yellow lasts about five and covers much of the same ground that Lee covered, except for the fight with Mr. Fear and the Unholy 3. All Loeb did is rewrite Lee's work and frame it as a letter to Karen.

You want my opinion? Overrated. You'd be better off going to the source and buying the first Masterworks. The merit of those early Daredevil comics is debateable, but they are undoubtedly historically relevant.
james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not keep piling on but the whole idea of the "colour" mini-series is a bit ridiculous.

"Let's get one writer and one artist to writer a series of mini-series that present a unquie and defining look at the origins and motivations of famous heroes."

"Famous heroes like who?"

"Well, Spider-man, Hulk, Captain America and Daredevil for a start."

"Wow. Those are some heavy hitters. What writer could possibly have something interesting to say about each one?"

"Jeff Loeb."

"errrr....."

At the end of the day it's ridiculous to expect one writer to be able to churn out quality stories about every famous hero. Miller defined Batman and Daredevil but I doubt he'd know what to do with Spider-Man (I've never read his Spider-Man stuff but I gather it wasn't revolutionary). Morrisson did an awesome job on the X-Men but I doubt he could deal with the Avengers.

Maybe that's why Yellow seems so watered down. It's not a new take. It's just a take.

Why aren't you laughing?
Ian
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Father! Woo! I thought it was super fun the way Quesada drew Matt regular sized, but Daredevil was friggin' HUGE.

Oh, and for all the old-school Frank Miller babies out there, it's time to move on people! I read the Bendis/Maleev run at the same time as I read all of Frank Miller's stuff and I found the old books (Born Again included) beyond boring. Each issue, with it's boring art and absurd dialogue was like pulling teeth to finish. Honestly, if we're talking waste of money here, I'd have to put the Daredevil Omnibus up there with one of my worst purchases ever.

In short, it's just too Eighties. Maybe it rocked nuts when it was new, but for someone reading old and new storylines side by side, it just doesn't hold up for new readers who like their art and story to be not-crappy. And trust me old timers, it doesn't. You can disagree if you want to, but I assure you that you'll be wrong.
"Show me a superhero without a first aid kit, an I'll show you a NUT!" (Daredevil #9)
Jim B.
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I am really surprised to hear so much hate towards DD: Yellow from DD fans on here. I don't think it's the best Daredevil story I've ever read, it was a bit over-rated that is for sure, but it was enjoyable to me. It is a tip-of-the-hat to the silver age light hearted DD stories and to his early relationship with Karen. I think it's supposed to be nostalgic and sentimental.

I don't know, I love the Frank Miller-esque grim and gritty DD as much as anybody but it is nice to have something like this which is more light hearted and fun.
blacktyphoid
Playing to the Camera

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:
I liked Father! Woo! I thought it was super fun the way Quesada drew Matt regular sized, but Daredevil was friggin' HUGE.

That's actually a good point.

Ian wrote:
Oh, and for all the old-school Frank Miller babies out there, it's time to move on people! ...In short, it's just too Eighties. Maybe it rocked nuts when it was new, but for someone reading old and new storylines side by side, it just doesn't hold up for new readers who like their art and story to be not-crappy. And trust me old timers, it doesn't. You can disagree if you want to, but I assure you that you'll be wrong.

Geez, if Miller fans are regarded as "old timers", what the heck do you call Colan fans (like me)? "Mould Timers"?

james castle
Devil in Cell-Block D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian wrote:

Oh, and for all the old-school Frank Miller babies out there, it's time to move on people! I read the Bendis/Maleev run at the same time as I read all of Frank Miller's stuff and I found the old books (Born Again included) beyond boring. Each issue, with it's boring art and absurd dialogue was like pulling teeth to finish. Honestly, if we're talking waste of money here, I'd have to put the Daredevil Omnibus up there with one of my worst purchases ever.

In short, it's just too Eighties. Maybe it rocked nuts when it was new, but for someone reading old and new storylines side by side, it just doesn't hold up for new readers who like their art and story to be not-crappy. And trust me old timers, it doesn't. You can disagree if you want to, but I assure you that you'll be wrong.

Oh snap, you assured me that I'd be wrong?

Man, why don't you save us the reading and just write "look at meeeeeee! look at meeeeeee!".

Maybe you should read Miller's Omnibus Companion and the Elektra Omnibus and come back when you know what you're talking about.

Although, I agree that most 80s comics suck. Clairemont's X-men? Not nearly enough Wolverine. Watchmen? Whatever. Dark Knight Returns? BORING! I want comics where the artist draws characters big or small in accordance with what's trying to be conveyed (oh, what? Miller was doing that in the 80s? WHATEVER!).

PS I'll buy your Miller Omnibus off you.

Why aren't you laughing?
Francesco
Underboss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, no one is really hating Yellow, I just said that I personally think it to be overrated.

Ian, can you post something without being a complete moron? I'm totally okay if you like something I don't, but you don't have the right to be insulting towards the others or to bore the hell out of everyone with your disruptive posting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: