Daredevil Message Board
The Board Without Fear!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Message Board is currently in read-only mode, as the software is now out of date. Several features and pages have been removed. If/When I get time I intend to re-launch the board with updated software.

Interview with Antony Johnston (with DD506 artwork)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuljit Mithra
Hardcore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Interview with Antony Johnston (with DD506 artwork) Reply with quote

A new interview with Daredevil co-writer Antony Johnston is up at CBR, and there's news about the DD: Cage Match one-shot and some exclusive artwork from DD 506. Check it out!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=25429
Dre
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps of the series regular artist was present and there wasn't a co-creator alongside Diggle, I for onw know I wouldn't take the present arc as filler, but, as it is, that's just how it appears to be for the moment. Since Johnston made it a point to reassure that it wasn't, though, I'll pick up DD 506 to hopefully be proven wrong.

The previewed artistry looks as strong and sharp as the last issue's did, however, Chechetto is no de la Torre. When is he coming back! Sad
Minion
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how you could call it filler. It is filling the structure of the hand and introducing new villains that have the potential to effect years to come for any character affiliated with the Hand.
Dre
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minion wrote:
I don't see how you could call it filler. It is filling the structure of the hand and introducing new villains that have the potential to effect years to come for any character affiliated with the Hand.
DD isn't the focus of the story as much Bakuto's irreverence and malcontent with Matt as head of the Hand is. The story is indeed presneting new chaacter and giving more depth to the hand the I, myself, has ever seen before, but without a few panel givings us a peak at the happenings back in New York cncluding but not limited to the Kingpins plans to reclaim his control of the cities organized or even whatever Dakota and Foggy are up to, The Left Had Path, for the time being, feels like a little side trip until further plans for the series can be ironed out so when we do get back to Hell's Kitched all the plot threads left after The Devil Hand will be picked up and continued.
Minion
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see that viewpoint. I acknowledge that I do miss Foggy and the Kingpin's storylines.

But I think part of the trip to Japan is to take Matt away from the action in New York so that he can be surprised by it when he gets back. (It also handily keeps him out of Siege.)

I think that unlike a true filler story which can be skipped without consequence this arc is pushing the story forward and showing how Matt plans to lead the Hand. As well as their willingness to betray him if ordered by the fingers of the Hand. He only has the power they let him have.

Also many Daredevil characters have been used to flesh out the Marvel universe as a whole mostly because they are given room to grow into their origin in Daredevil rather than splashed over several random books to piece together.

It is also like many 80's comics which would lay clues and not revisit them for many issues. It lets the tension grow. Sometimes we may forget something, but that's why we buy the issues rather than read them in the store.

Getting too long. I'll stop now.
Dre
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minion wrote:
I can see that viewpoint. I acknowledge that I do miss Foggy and the Kingpin's storylines.

But I think part of the trip to Japan is to take Matt away from the action in New York so that he can be surprised by it when he gets back. (It also handily keeps him out of Siege.)

Yes, and thats most welcome, but it doesn't have to pull us, the readership, out of the story threads back in NY. If done properly, a few scenes here and there teasing Shadowlands constuction or the Kingpins plans to uncover the Hoods impunity could truly build anticipation and have Matts return all the more exciting.

Incidentally, I have to say how much I LOVE the fact that DD has managed to stay clear of Siege. You have no idea how heavily I treasure DD's overall seperation from the MU proper. There not doubt in mind whatsoever this is why the books quality has remained so largley unblemished for as long as it has.

Quote:
I think that unlike a true filler story which can be skipped without consequence this arc is pushing the story forward and showing how Matt plans to lead the Hand. As well as their willingness to betray him if ordered by the fingers of the Hand. He only has the power they let him have.
Although that is true, there's been very little develpment in that regard even though there's only been a single issue of this arc to date. I think if that had been the primary intention, more could have been done with it in place of succumbing Bakuto to hullucinations. In any case, though, the issue in question was still very good.

Quote:
Also many Daredevil characters have been used to flesh out the Marvel universe as a whole mostly because they are given room to grow into their origin in Daredevil rather than splashed over several random books to piece together.

It is also like many 80's comics which would lay clues and not revisit them for many issues. It lets the tension grow. Sometimes we may forget something, but that's why we buy the issues rather than read them in the store.

Getting too long. I'll stop now.
As I said above, a few teases could be far more effective than complete abondonment of several running plot threads, but I do understand what you're saying here.
Minion
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we will have to see how the arc works out. I hope we get to talk about this as the issues come out.
Dre
Flying Blind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure we will. Though, April 14th feels as if it'll never get here. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Daredevil Message Board Forum Index -> The comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: